Velocity Reviews

-   -   Priest's Retirement Dinner: (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682517-priests-retirement-dinner.html)

*Less* 05-04-2009 01:03 PM

Priest's Retirement Dinner:

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner

Retirement Dinner

A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:

'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
and loving people.'...

Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
make the presentation and gave his talk.

'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
first person to go to him for confession.'

Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late

richard 05-04-2009 01:27 PM

Re: Priest's Retirement Dinner:

On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*less@home.busy*> wrote:

> [...]

Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
knows who the other is. After awhile though, one might have an
educated guess as to who the other is but certainly not on the first
shot.

Granted, small churches might make that easy to do.

Then again, I wonder just how many politicians that scenario could
easily be matched to?

richard 05-04-2009 02:51 PM

Re: Priest's Retirement Dinner:

On Mon, 04 May 2009 08:42:38 -0500, Lookout <mrLookout@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 May 2009 09:27:38 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*less@home.busy*> wrote:

I may not be a catholic, but that doesn't mean I "don't get it".
I do understand that there are times when a priest and parishoner are
face to face and know who each other are.

Mike Easter 05-04-2009 05:50 PM

Re: Priest's Retirement Dinner:

*Less* wrote:
header:

body multiparts:

There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.

Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.

Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar 05-04-2009 08:37 PM

Re: Priest's Retirement Dinner:

richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*less@home.busy*> wrote:

> Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
> knows who the other is.

Of course they do. Besides it's a joke FCS.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

*Less* 05-05-2009 01:35 PM

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message ...
> *Less* wrote:
> header:
>
> body multiparts:

> There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
> Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.
>
> Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
> formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.
>
> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.
>
>> 'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
>> politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go
>> to him for confession.'

> --
> Mike Easter

Hello Mike,

I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @ 80 characters.
I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be any improvement.

"Less*

Mike Easter 05-05-2009 03:54 PM

*Less* wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
>> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.

>> --
>> Mike Easter

You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
you should be manually trimming.

Trimming means to trim/ edit out/ every single line to which you aren't
directly responding.

Contextualizing means to place your reply words directly under an empty
line which is directly below only the words/line to which you reply. Do
not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.

> I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @
> 80 characters.

Thank you for the plaintext. I disagree with the choice of the 9- char
longlines. They will wrap badly when cited by those whose linelengths
are less, which is almost everyone.

> I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be
> any improvement.

It is definitely an improvement. And I think it can be improved some more.

--
Mike Easter

*Less* 05-06-2009 05:56 AM

Re: Priest's Retirement Dinner:

"Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in message .
> *Less* wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"
>>> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only,
>>> not
>>> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.

I am taking your advice on line wrapping, it is set @ 74 Characters,
and reposting below here to see if there is any further improvement.

> You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
> have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
> you should be manually trimming.

While ago I trimmed a Sig. of someone I was replying to and he got upset
and since then I haven't trimmed any more Sigs.

> Do not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.

I am on couple different NG's. often a conversation starts and some