Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need advice on purchasing a laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682178-need-advice-on-purchasing-a-laptop.html)

s 05-01-2009 05:37 AM

Need advice on purchasing a laptop

I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
considered better?

My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
about 2GB.

Are the below choices a good option?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=WARRANTY#tabs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=t71-15413

Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
Staples, Circuitcity which offer
deals occasionally a better choice?

I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
service, but that is arguable.
Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks a lot.

Fred 05-01-2009 06:47 AM

Re: Need advice on purchasing a laptop

"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
> applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
> How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
> considered better?
>
> My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
> is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
> about 2GB.
>
> Are the below choices a good option?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=WARRANTY#tabs
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=t71-15413
>
> Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
> Staples, Circuitcity which offer
> deals occasionally a better choice?
>
> I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
> service, but that is arguable.
> Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
> or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
> on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?
>
> Can anyone please advise?
>
> Thanks a lot.

What currency are you talking in with a limit of $700 ?

PeeCee 05-01-2009 11:29 AM

Re: Need advice on purchasing a laptop

"s" <s@mailinator.com> wrote in message
>I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
> applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
> How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
> considered better?
>
> My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
> is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
> about 2GB.
>
> Are the below choices a good option?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=WARRANTY#tabs
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=t71-15413
>
> Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
> Staples, Circuitcity which offer
> deals occasionally a better choice?
>
> I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
> service, but that is arguable.
> Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
> or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
> on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?
>
> Can anyone please advise?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Re Memory useage

Windows 32 bit OS's maximum address space is 4 GB
Of this over 1.5GB of these address's are used by the system eg video, i/o
ports etc
As such you will get no advantage going beyond 3GB unless 4 GB of RAM is
cheaper than 3GB.

Best way to choose is to look at brand/model and settle on a specification
that meets your need.
Then go looking for the best price.

Who you buy from depends on what sort of backup service you want.
Local means you can go bang on a desk.
Phone calls to Bangalore can be 'very' frustrating.

The Brand you buy should go roughly in this order
Toshiba
Lenovo/Dell
Asus
Sony (I put them here because they are expensive)
HP/Compaq
Acer
The rest.
Odd name brands.

One tip, the dv series of HP/Compaq laptops have a bad rep for motherboard
failure.

Don't think you are going to get a 'quality' machine cheap.
You pay cheap they skimp somewhere.
You get what you pay for.

A lot of Laptops come with Webcams built in to the lid.
Don't worry about going beyond 640 x 480 unless you have 'very' good
bandwidth.

Be VERY pedantic about model numbers.
A lot of Laptops have the same basic hardware (case/motherboard, dvd etc)
The point of difference being the CPU/RAM/Hard drive
Look at these 3 ($NZ)
TOSHIBA L300 T4200 2G 160GB XPP+VB call $1199.00+GST ($1348.88incl.)
TOSHIBA Sat L300/0D5 DC T3400 3 $1099.00+GST ($1236.38incl.)
Toshiba L300 T4200 2GHz 1GB 160GB call $1098.66+GST ($1236.00incl.)
Notice the different specs yet all 3 are "Toshiba L300 Laptop"

Best
Paul.

s 05-01-2009 02:28 PM

On May 1, 11:47*am, "Fred" <dre...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> "s" <s...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> >I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
> > applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
> > How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
> > considered better?

> > My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
> > is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
> > about 2GB.

> > Are the below choices a good option?

> >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-Details.asp?...

> >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-details.asp?...

> >http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...m-Details.asp?...

> > Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
> > Staples, Circuitcity which offer
> > deals occasionally a better choice?

> > I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
> > service, but that is arguable.
> > Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
> > or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
> > on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?

> > Can anyone please advise?

> > Thanks a lot.

> What currency are you talking in with a limit of $700 ?

U.S. dollar.

s 05-01-2009 02:40 PM

Re: Need advice on purchasing a laptop

Thanks for the reply.

On May 1, 4:29*pm, "PeeCee" <ab...@local.host> wrote:

> Re Memory useage
>
> Windows 32 bit OS's maximum address space is 4 GB
> Of this over 1.5GB of these address's are used by the system eg video, i/o
> ports etc
> As such you will get no advantage going beyond 3GB unless 4 GB of RAM is
> cheaper than 3GB.

Does that mean Vista will use about 1GB and rest of the applications
can use only other 2GB
so the max utilization will be of 3GB only? So, the 4GB will be useful
only if another OS comes out
in the future which needs more memory to run?

> Best way to choose is to look at brand/model and settle on a specification
> that meets your need.
> Then go looking for the best price.
>
> Who you buy from depends on what sort of backup service you want.
> Local means you can go bang on a desk.
> Phone calls to Bangalore can be 'very' frustrating.

Yes, but local support is rare these days. I hope new machines should
not
require any support for the initial 2-3 years and the plan is to get
a warranty of 1 year only.

> The Brand you buy should go roughly in this order
> Toshiba
> Lenovo/Dell
> Asus
> Sony (I put them here because they are expensive)
> HP/Compaq
> Acer
> The rest.
> Odd name brands.

May I know why Toshiba first? Is it price, performance, support
service or some
other factor?

> One tip, the dv series of HP/Compaq laptops have a bad rep for motherboard
> failure.

Thanks, I will avoid them.

> Don't think you are going to get a 'quality' machine cheap.
> You pay cheap they skimp somewhere.
> You get what you pay for.

Correct, but there also exists shopping around for price and bargain
deals.
For instance, a typical machine costing 850$ may be sold for
650 on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Memorial day sale or so. Naturally, I
need
to be looking for them.

> A lot of Laptops come with Webcams built in to the lid.
> Don't worry about going beyond 640 x 480 unless you have 'very' good
> bandwidth.

For video conferencing, would a 2mega pixel Web cam be sufficient? The
quote is
for a machine to be used in a campus(having Gigabit ethernet
facilities which I hope can come
under the very good bandwidth category)

> Be VERY pedantic about model numbers.
> A lot of Laptops have the same basic hardware (case/motherboard, dvd etc)
> The point of difference being the CPU/RAM/Hard drive
> Look at these 3 ($NZ)
> TOSHIBA L300 T4200 2G 160GB XPP+VB call $1199.00+GST ($1348.88incl.)
> TOSHIBA Sat L300/0D5 DC T3400 3 $1099.00+GST ($1236.38incl.)
> *Toshiba L300 T4200 2GHz 1GB 160GB call $1098.66+GST ($1236.00incl.)
> Notice the different specs yet all 3 are *"Toshiba L300 Laptop"

Yes, indeed,

Thanks for your aid and time.

richard 05-01-2009 06:56 PM

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0700 (PDT), s <s@mailinator.com> wrote:

>I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
>applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
>How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
>considered better?
>
>My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
>is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
>about 2GB.
>
>Are the below choices a good option?
>
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071

Of the three, the first one is your better choice. Who the hell is
lenovo?

Personally, I prefer amd over intel any day. I tested both side by
side doing the same thing and amd kicks intel's butt hands down.

I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
waiting.

Both best buy and circuit cuity in my opinion, may have good deals,
but are still rather high on their price tags.

You'd be better off going direct to the manufacturer or with tiger.

With HP, you can build your own machine.

Clot 05-01-2009 07:10 PM

richard wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0700 (PDT), s <s@mailinator.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071

> Of the three, the first one is your better choice. Who the hell is
> lenovo?

Try Googling - I don't know how you missed that sale.

Evan Platt 05-01-2009 07:15 PM

Re: Need advice on purchasing a laptop

On Fri, 01 May 2009 14:56:59 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Of the three, the first one is your better choice. Who the hell is
>lenovo?

Wow.. Serious? Been living in a cave?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 05-01-2009 07:52 PM

richard wrote:

> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
> sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
> waiting.

You mind explaining that one?

--
-bts

Evan Platt 05-01-2009 08:03 PM

Re: Need advice on purchasing a laptop

On Fri, 1 May 2009 15:52:37 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:

>You mind explaining that one?

Yeah... I have a hard time imagining RtS wrapping his head around a
programming language. I mean heck, linxu is beyond him.

Maybe he uses VB? No, that would be beyond him too.

Turtle.

Yes... Turtle.

Pen up.
Up 10