Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD burning speed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682120-dvd-burning-speed.html)

Gordon 04-30-2009 07:12 PM

DVD burning speed

Hi
I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista, all
singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to brag, I
am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of know how can
knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am not one)

I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what media
I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns
at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's

To be honest I am just wondering why, it isn't important, I'm just trying to
understand the way things work.

Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my hard
drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :-)

Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

Gordon

Evan Platt 04-30-2009 07:39 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:12:00 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
> I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista, all
>singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to brag, I
>am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of know how can
>knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am not one)
>
>I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what media
>I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns
>at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's
>
>To be honest I am just wondering why, it isn't important, I'm just trying to
>understand the way things work.
>
>Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my hard
>drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :-)
>
>Cheers to everyone else for any explanation

What speed is your burner?

Doesn't matter if you use 100x media if your burner only burns at 1x.
(Yes, I know neither isn't likely, but you get the point.)

--- > SiTrE JoSePHEnnE MaGAnA 04-30-2009 08:09 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

On Apr 30, 12:12*pm, "Gordon" <gordonbenni...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> * * * *I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista, all
> singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to brag, I
> am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of know how can
> knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am not one)
>
> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what media
> I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns
> at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's

What brand of media are you using if you're using the cheap **** then
that's could be one explaination.

thanatoid 04-30-2009 08:20 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

"Gordon" <gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no
> matter what media I am copying, burning, etc they never
> burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns at around 7.5 to 9
> and so on, same with CD's

<SNIP>

If you use good media and good burning software, you should be
able to select the speed you want.

HOWEVER, your discs will last longer and play in more machines
(ie be more compatible) if you burn at a slower speed.

What's your hurry?

I burn CD-R's at 8x. I don't do DVD's because I am not
interested in movies or 350,000 data files on one disc.

--
(Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

Gordon 04-30-2009 08:42 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

"thanatoid" <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message
> "Gordon" <gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no
>> matter what media I am copying, burning, etc they never
>> burn at full speed, 16x DVD disk burns at around 7.5 to 9
>> and so on, same with CD's

> <SNIP>
>
> If you use good media and good burning software, you should be
> able to select the speed you want.
>
> HOWEVER, your discs will last longer and play in more machines
> (ie be more compatible) if you burn at a slower speed.
>
> What's your hurry?
>
> I burn CD-R's at 8x. I don't do DVD's because I am not
> interested in movies or 350,000 data files on one disc.
>

> --
> (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
> I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
> Vista and is a "product feature".

I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why it burns slower
than it says on the tin, I think its 32x dvd writer maybe more, Disks are
Imation which arent the best but not cheap either

Thanks for the replies so far

Evan Platt 04-30-2009 08:58 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:42:16 +0100, "Gordon"
<gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why it burns slower
>than it says on the tin, I think its 32x dvd writer maybe more, Disks are
>Imation which arent the best but not cheap either

You said the discs are 16x.

You aren't going to get faster than 16x on 16x DVD's, regardless of
the speed of the burner - without problems.

Your burner isn't a 32x DVD burner, unless you have something hot off
the assembly lines that hasn't even hit the mass market yet. Sony just
introduced a 24x DVD burner early this year.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41556/135/

So first thing is check the speed your burner really is.

chuckcar 04-30-2009 09:55 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

"SJP" <someone@somewhere.invalid> wrote in

> "Gordon" <gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in Vista,
>> all
>> singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to
>> brag, I am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of
>> know how can knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am
>> not one)
>>
>> I burn DVD's and CD's all works fine but I have noticed no matter what
>> media I am copying, burning, etc they never burn at full speed, 16x DVD
>> disk burns at around 7.5 to 9 and so on, same with CD's
>>
>> To be honest I am just wondering why, it isn't important, I'm just
>> trying to understand the way things work.
>>
>> Oh and before you answer this mail DanC, no I don't want to format my
>> hard drive, but thanks for the advice before you give it :-)
>>
>> Cheers to everyone else for any explanation
>>
>> Gordon

> Is there a firmware update for your DVD Burner?

The drive *works*. That's not the problem.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt 04-30-2009 11:04 PM

Re: DVD burning speed

****ed that someone else stole your suggestion, chucktard?

thanatoid 05-01-2009 02:45 AM

Re: DVD burning speed

> I use Roxio Software, There is no hurry I just wondered why
> it burns slower than it says on the tin, I think its 32x
> dvd writer maybe more, Disks are Imation which arent the
> best but not cheap either

Imation used to be 3M. 3M used to be good, Imation is so-so.

Use TDK or Fuji or Taiyo Yuden.

Get rid of Roxio immediately. It ties with Nero for the worst
burning software in the world.

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, visit
www.goldenhawk.com, or Google for free burner software -
although a lot of it is crap - I have tried at least 15 programs
and then paid for the goldenhawk one.

elaich 05-01-2009 05:36 AM

Re: DVD burning speed

"Gordon" <gordonbennison@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have a very good spec PC it scores 5.9 on everything in
> Vista, all
> singing and dancing and built by my own hand, but I am not here to
> brag, I am here to ask a question (I know anyone with a little bit of
> know how can knock a pc together, doesn't make them experts and I am
> not one)

Burning a CD or DVD takes over the computer. Doesn't matter what OS you are
using. This goes down into the machine level.

Why would anyone who built their own computer choose to run Vista?