Velocity Reviews

-   -   Hosts file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t682064-hosts-file.html)

~BD~ 04-30-2009 11:57 AM

Hosts file

http://techblissonline.com/make-host...ows-read-only/

David H Lipman has said elsewhere
"changing the attribute of the file to Read-Only is worthless.

What do others reading here think about the article at the link?

I've checked my own Hosts file and this is what I found:-

Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:~ david******$ cd /etc
Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$ cat hosts
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Unknown-00-23-12-24-26-b4:etc david******$

Is this what I should have expected to see (my *'s btw!)

I'm unsure about ::1 and fe80::1%1o0

Please can you tell me what they mean? Thanks.

--
Dave

Leythos 04-30-2009 12:44 PM

Re: Hosts file

In article <gtc3mm$t55$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk says...
> David H Lipman has said elsewhere
> "changing the attribute of the file to Read-Only is worthless.
>
> What do others reading here think about the article at the link?

If you are running as an ADMIN on your local computer, a read-only
attribute will only stop stupid malware, it won't stop anything that
actually is coded to modify the host file that knows about a simple
thing like changing it to NOT READ-ONLY.

If you can change the status so can the malware.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

~BD~ 04-30-2009 10:30 PM

Re: Hosts file

Many thanks for the responses from Leythos, DHL and Guy

I've learnt from this - perhaps others will too.

Cheers! :)

--
Dave

Todd H. 04-30-2009 11:53 PM

Re: Hosts file

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

> You recently posted...
>
> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk>
> | Many folk respect David H Lipman - but I do *not* trust anyone who is
> | not straight-forward and honest. He is an employee - but I do not have a
> | clue as to the organisation for which he works. Why should it be a
> | secret? He also publishes his 'special' four-pack Multi-Av product on a
> | fringe site in Germany without ever explaining why this is so.
>
> There is absolutely *NO reason* why I should post what organization
> I work for. In fact, it would be an OPSEC violation to post this
> kind of information in public or provide it to those without a need
> to know.

BoaterDave,

I've followed David Lipman's posts here for a few years. I trust his
multi-av.exe and his answers. He has never struck me as a bad guy.

There are a variety of reasons people like to post semi-anonymously,
myself included. And there are a myriad of reasons people posting
round usenet would rather not divulge where their paycheck comes
from (or in your case ones full name).

So, in short, I don't see why DL has drawn your ire. Best I can tell
he's a helpful guy who's devoted lots of hours to answering people's
questions for free.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

~BD~ 04-30-2009 11:56 PM

Re: Hosts file

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk>
>
> | Many thanks for the responses from Leythos, DHL and Guy
>
> | I've learnt from this - perhaps others will too.
>
> | Cheers! :)
>
> | --
> | Dave
>
> You do NOT learn too easily.
>
> You recently posted...
>
> | Many folk respect David H Lipman - but I do *not* trust anyone who is
> | not straight-forward and honest. He is an employee - but I do not have a
> | clue as to the organisation for which he works. Why should it be a
> | secret? He also publishes his 'special' four-pack Multi-Av product on a
> | fringe site in Germany without ever explaining why this is so.
>
> There is absolutely *NO reason* why I should post what organization I work for. In fact,
> it would be an OPSEC violation to post this kind of information in public or provide it to
> those without a need to know.
>
> As for PCTipp eZine, it is in Switzerland, not Germany but is in Swiss-German. I told you
> about this before so don't say "...without ever explaining why this is so." And PCTipp is
> not a "fringe" site. It is one division of the largest publisher in the world, IDG. It
> just so happens that I have a friend in Zurich Switzerland that works for PCTipp and she
> ASKED to have it hosted on PCTipp and this was AFTER it was mentioned in one or two
> articles written about the removal of malware.
>
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008
>
> I also fully explained about Butts committing fraud and perjury and "his" assertions of
> anything concerning the Multi-AV Scanning Tool and the software or any parts of the
> software being stolen is a pure lie. The fact is I have had many witnesses and
> collborators in the project from conception to present form to the v7 Beta. The following
> text used in the fraudulent DMCA was PURE bullsh1t...
>
> 2.All three programs listed above use a utility called WGET.exe which
> belongs to me. I am the author of that program and the website has No
> permission to use it. References to my wget program can be found here.
> http://www.ik-cs.com/v2/multi-av.htm
> http://www.ik-cs.com/v2/winfixerfix.htm
> http://www.ik-cs.com/v2/smitfraud.htm
>
> The WGET utility is provided as free software
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
> It is licensed as free sofware through the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE and the Free
> Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> It states...
> "GNU Wget is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
> version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version..."

Thank you for your response. It reminded me of another thread - which
Google helped me find, with more history of your fights, here:
http://forums.techarena.in/security-...rs/1022277.htm

Others reading here might - just possibly - understand that not everyone
will blindly accept whatever unknown 'advisers' here on the Wild, Wild,
Web may tell them. Indeed, I recall that it was Leythos who once advised
me to trust NO-ONE - not even himself!!

Remember, it was *you* that once sent me, by email, a link to the most
disgusting and bizarre photographs - which you purported were sent by
PCButts to folk who upset him/her. That act did not fill me with trust,
David - you knew I'd follow the link and look, didn't you?

Details of OPSEC may be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_security

If the organisation you represent is involved in subterfuge, perhaps you
shouldn't be posting here at all!

I like to *know* my enemy - are you friend or foe, David?

--
Dave

~BD~ 05-01-2009 12:13 AM

Re: Hosts file

Todd H. wrote:
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:
>> You recently posted...
>>
>> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk>
>> | Many folk respect David H Lipman - but I do *not* trust anyone who is
>> | not straight-forward and honest. He is an employee - but I do not have a
>> | clue as to the organisation for which he works. Why should it be a
>> | secret? He also publishes his 'special' four-pack Multi-Av product on a
>> | fringe site in Germany without ever explaining why this is so.
>>
>> There is absolutely *NO reason* why I should post what organization
>> I work for. In fact, it would be an OPSEC violation to post this
>> kind of information in public or provide it to those without a need
>> to know.

> BoaterDave,
>
> I've followed David Lipman's posts here for a few years. I trust his
> multi-av.exe and his answers. He has never struck me as a bad guy.
>
> There are a variety of reasons people like to post semi-anonymously,
> myself included. And there are a myriad of reasons people posting
> round usenet would rather not divulge where their paycheck comes
> from (or in your case ones full name).
>
> So, in short, I don't see why DL has drawn your ire. Best I can tell
> he's a helpful guy who's devoted lots of hours to answering people's
> questions for free.

I appreciate your comments, Todd. Thanks for posting.

I seek not 'personal' information or actual employer name - he could
have responded when first I asked (a year or three ago now) that he
works for ..... an anti-virus vendor, a Government agency, an
electronics company etc - but he's always expecting folk to blindly
accept what he says without knowing *anything* about him.

At least I know *you* like bunnies (even though I cannot watch your
video clips!)

--
Dave

Leythos 05-01-2009 12:15 AM

Re: Hosts file

In article <gtddqk$nhm$1@news.motzarella.org>, BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk
says...
> Remember, it was *you* that once sent me, by email, a link to the most
> disgusting and bizarre photographs - which you purported were sent by
> PCButts to folk who upset him/her. That act did not fill me with trust,
> David - you knew I'd follow the link and look, didn't you?

PCBUTTS1 has posted those links himself, they are Usenet History and
everyone in the community will tell you about them and how sick they
are.

If David sent you those links, it was to prove to you that you should
not trust ANYTHING from PCBUTTS or his many impersonations or socks.

I personally have discussed many things with David, and I personally
trust him and vouch for his honor and integrity - you are barking up the
wrong tree to suspect anything other than honorable from him.

The person you need to distrust is your new Friend, pcbutts.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Leythos 05-01-2009 12:19 AM

Re: Hosts file

In article <gtder6$ump$1@news.motzarella.org>, BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk
says...
> I seek not 'personal' information or actual employer name - he could
> have responded when first I asked (a year or three ago now) that he
> works for ..... an anti-virus vendor, a Government agency, an
> electronics company etc - but he's always expecting folk to blindly
> accept what he says without knowing *anything* about him.

Wrong again BD, not one of us expects you or anyone else reading this
thread/group/usenet to "Blindly" follow anything, certainly not any of
the respected members of Security groups - we all expect you, if you
have half a brain, to research the posts and do what you find to be
best.

You do understand that PCBUTTS has posted as David, myself, and many
others over the years and that he's been very nasty during those
impersonations. It is possible that you could have fallen for one of
PCBUTTS's many impersonations....

Learn to read and comprehend Usenet Headers, then start tracking headers
of people/posts you believe are suspicious - you will find that BUTTS
slips up many times over the years and outs himself by his headers.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

The Real Truth [MS MVP] 05-01-2009 12:34 AM

Re: Hosts file

The contents of that link you posted is a bunch of BS. Don't you think with
all the BS trolling and lies they have been saying about me for the past 4
years that if there were "markers" in my software they would have posted
them just to prove those lies. They can't because there are no markers.
There is however markers that I placed in my software to prove that it was
stolen from me and they are still there. I have posted them many times but
of course the trolls ignore it and never respond. section s601b in the
stolen code from here http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/roguefix.htm is
completely bogus and was put there by me. David made up that marker bit
after I posted the truth.

your time.

Non scrivetemi 05-01-2009 03:34 AM

Re: Hosts file

In article <1sadnatb-rbC22fUnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d@giganews.com>
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> From: "~BD~" <BoaterDave@hotmail.co.uk>

edited out

> | Remember, it was *you* that once sent me, by email, a link to the most
> | disgusting and bizarre photographs - which you purported were sent by
> | PCButts to folk who upset him/her. That act did not fill me with trust,
> | David - you knew I'd follow the link and look, didn't you?
>

> I did't send you any disgusting and/or bizarre graphics to you. If they were in reference
> to Butts I sent you "his" web site URLs hosting those bizarre and/or disgusting
> photographs. He posted many pr0n like that about people like me who publicly denounced
> his plagiarism. The point here is Butts created and hosted those pictures, not I and you
> should be putting that into its proper perspective.

edited out
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

The only disgusting things I personally have heard/witnessed in this
group are the constant referrings to PCButts and his links to child
pronography - without a single iota of proof, except for some dead-
end URLs which point to nothing. It is clear to me that many of the
detractors of PCButts are extremely sick individuals who spout filth
at an "accepted" hate figure. Much of this is your doing without you
having a shred of evidence - except the filthy posts of your own
associates, and empty URLs.