Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t681742-how-to-clean-the-socket-775-heatsink-cooling-fan.html)

pg 04-28-2009 11:05 AM

How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
is very dusty.

So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.

In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.

The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.

This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.

I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.

If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....

So, to the hardware gurus here ---

1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
without breaking anything?

2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?

Please advise.

Thank you !!

smlunatick 04-28-2009 01:40 PM

Re: How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

On Apr 28, 12:05*pm, pg <pen...@catholic.org> wrote:
> One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
> is very dusty.
>
> So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
> fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.
>
> In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
> heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
> dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.
>
> The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
> of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
> can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.
>
> This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
> between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.
>
> I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.
>
> If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....
>
> So, to the hardware gurus here ---
>
> 1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
> without breaking anything?
>
> 2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
> grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thank you !!

If the heatsink / fan is so mucked up with grime, I would consider
locating a "replacement" heatsink / fan assembly. A quick search on a
known parts web site (www.startech.com) comes up with 4 new heatsink /
fan kits:

http://www.startech.com/product/item...x=0&search.y=0

And some models might have better performance than your original.

JR Weiss 04-28-2009 02:01 PM

Re: How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

"smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote...

> If the heatsink / fan is so mucked up with grime, I would consider
> locating a "replacement" heatsink / fan assembly. A quick search on a
> known parts web site (www.startech.com) comes up with 4 new heatsink / fan
> kits:

I agree. Since you already have the old heat sink off the CPU, most of the
hard work is done.

Some require removing the motherboard to fix a mounting plate on the
underside, but there are several that do not require MoBo removal:

veesubotee 04-28-2009 03:03 PM

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "pg" <penang@catholic.org> wrote in message
>> One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
>> is very dusty.
>>
>> So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
>> fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.
>>
>> In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
>> heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
>> dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.
>>
>> The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
>> of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
>> can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.
>>
>> This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
>> between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.
>>
>> I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.
>>
>> If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....
>>
>> So, to the hardware gurus here ---
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
>> without breaking anything?
>>
>> 2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
>> grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thank you !!

> I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
> compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
> can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.

When the warm/hot weather arrives (now), I usually find my processor fan
periodically switching to overdrive. In the past, I used a straightened
paper clip to 'pick' out the lint between the fins. I just did my check; no
lint, but probed the fins anyway, then started up the computer (with case
cover and duct removed and blew out whatever was inside. Seems to be
running cooler now with no overdrive.

Relating to the OPs post, I once read somewhere that blowing compressed air
into a computer would place a static charge on the innards. I do wear a
wrist strap while cleaning the fins, but wonder about using compressed air.

What do you think, Jan?

HankG

spodosaurus 04-28-2009 04:28 PM

Jan Alter wrote:
> "pg" <penang@catholic.org> wrote in message
>> One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
>> is very dusty.
>>
>> So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
>> fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.
>>
>> In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
>> heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
>> dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.
>>
>> The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
>> of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
>> can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.
>>
>> This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
>> between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.
>>
>> I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.
>>
>> If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....
>>
>> So, to the hardware gurus here ---
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
>> without breaking anything?
>>
>> 2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
>> grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thank you !!

> I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
> compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
> can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.

Canned air and an antistatic brush, repeat as necessary.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-28-2009 05:02 PM

Re: How to clean the socket 775 heatsink + cooling fan?

"Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote:

>I've heard that said to using a vacuum cleaner,being that a motor is running
>and building a charge, but not of the compressed air.

It's not the motor, it's the air blowing past the parts that causes a
static charge to build up - just keep it plugged in (wall plug) it
will discharge itself if a problem.

Never heard of CA causing a static charge, but it would be the same
principle as a vacuum and wearing a static strap isn't going to have
any affect at all.
--

http://whybenormal.today.com/files/2...atter-what.jpg

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-28-2009 05:29 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>> I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
>> compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
>> can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.

>Canned air and an antistatic brush, repeat as necessary.

Sounds like I have the same setup (heatsink/fan) and that's how I do
it. Canned air and one of those brushes that come with hair cutting
kits.

My fan is connected - heck still in the computer, I just push the
brush thru the fan and into the heat sink move it around, then spray
with air, repeat.

--

http://whybenormal.today.com/files/2...atter-what.jpg

GMAN 04-28-2009 05:44 PM

In article <gt6oj2$1l82$1@adenine.netfront.net>, "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote:

>"pg" <penang@catholic.org> wrote in message
>> One of the company PC is located in the warehouse area, and that place
>> is very dusty.
>>
>> So dusty that a lot of grime have built up in the heatsink + cooling
>> fan, and the CPU temperature is rising as a result.
>>
>> In the process of cleaning the PC, I disassembled the cooling fan +
>> heatsink assembly from the CPU, trying my best to clean away all the
>> dust and grime stuck on the heatsink and the cooling fan.
>>
>> The cooling fan / heatsink assembly is joint together by 4 washer type
>> of stoppers (located almost at the half way down the 4 screws) and I
>> can't find a way to separate the fan from the heatsink.
>>
>> This resulted in the THICK LAYER of grime and dust that are stuck in
>> between the fan and the heatsink to be totally inaccessible.
>>
>> I tried my best to clean them out but couldn't.
>>
>> If only I can separate the fan OUT from the heatsink assembly ....
>>
>> So, to the hardware gurus here ---
>>
>> 1. Is there a way to take out the fan from the fan/heatsink assembly,
>> without breaking anything?
>>
>> 2. If the answer to #1 is NO, then, is there a way to clean out the
>> grimes that stuck in between the fan and the heatsink?
>>
>> Please advise.
>>
>> Thank you !!

>I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
>compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
>can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.

Rather than a low pressure can of compressed air, invest in an air compressor
like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight Tools. FOr around $100-$150, you
can get the job done with ease.

smlunatick 04-28-2009 07:15 PM

On Apr 28, 3:01*pm, "JR Weiss" <j...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "smlunatick" <yves...@gmail.com> wrote...
> > If the heatsink / fan is so mucked up with grime, I would consider
> > locating a "replacement" heatsink / fan assembly. *A quick search on a
> > known parts web site (www.startech.com) comes up with 4 new heatsink / fan
> > kits:

> I agree. *Since you already have the old heat sink off the CPU, most of the
> hard work is done.
>
> Some require removing the motherboard to fix a mounting plate on the
> underside, but there are several that do not require MoBo removal:

Especially that the fan has a place where we can not access with most
brushes. The fan "spinner" is extremely "fragile" and most brushes
are not easily pushed through the sight gap.

olfart 04-28-2009 07:46 PM

"GMAN" <winniethe@pooh.com> wrote in message
> In article <gt6oj2$1l82$1@adenine.netfront.net>, "Jan Alter"
> <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>><snip>
>>>

>>I use a can of compressed air. To get the fins of the HSF I use the same
>>compressed air with the straw attached to the nozzle that comes with the
>>can. Seems to get rid of even the most reluctant schmutz.

> Rather than a low pressure can of compressed air, invest in an air
> compressor
> like the ones they sell at Harbor Freight Tools. FOr around $100-$150,
> you
> can get the job done with ease.

120psi can do all kinds of damage to a computers innards and the air from a
compressor can contain moisture as well as oil and other traces of crap
Stick to the canned air