Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problems accessing external sata drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t681334-problems-accessing-external-sata-drive.html)

Franco Proctor 04-25-2009 09:21 AM

Problems accessing external sata drive

I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I plugged
it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen correctly and
I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get a message coming
up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged it into a USB 2.00
port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer the drive doesn't show
now.

Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the drive.

Any suggestions?

Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

Many thanks

Franco

wisdomkiller & pain 04-25-2009 11:55 AM

Re: Problems accessing external sata drive

Franco Proctor wrote:

> I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I
> plugged it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen
> correctly and
> I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get a message coming
> up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged it into a USB 2.00
> port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer the drive doesn't
> show now.
>
> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

It would be worth a try to do a system restore to a point when it still
worked. Otherwise, "uninstalling" the usb _controllers_ and restarting
(they will get redetected) could do the trick. At that time, have a look
for more recent mainboard drivers than these who came with the box, on the
pc manuf. or mainboard homesite.
Also, have a look in manglement/disk management utility, if you find some
entry without a driveletter assigned.

Tony 04-25-2009 01:05 PM

Re: Problems accessing external sata drive

I know if Chuckcar was answering this question he'd tell you to "flash the bios"
well he'd misspell flash and put something like "flesh the bios" and don't ask
why because i don't know how he comes up with these humdingers of suggestions.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

realm of understandability

VanguardLH 04-25-2009 02:38 PM

Franco Proctor wrote:

> I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I plugged
> it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen correctly and
> I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get a message coming
> up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged it into a USB 2.00
> port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer the drive doesn't show
> now.
>
> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the drive.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Franco

From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.
If using Windows 2000+, have you checked if the external drive shows up
in the Disk Management applet after it has been plugged in? Run:

diskmgmt.msc

Have you yet looked in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if there are
any yellowed exclamation marks next to any devices? Any red X'ed
devices (showing Windows disabled them to preserve the system)? Reboot
with all USB devices disconnected and check Device Manager. Reboot with
all USB devices other than the external drive connected and check Device
Manager. In both those cases, look for a yellow exclamation for a USB
controller or device. Then see what happens when you reboot with all
USB devices disconnected except for the external drive.

What happens when you cold boot the computer with the external USB drive
*not* connected, wait until Windows loads, login, and after your desktop
is ready then power up the external USB drive and plug it in? What
happens when you cold boot with the external USB drive already connected
and powered up (so it is available during the load of Windows)?

Are you using an old USB cable or a new one that is USB2 rated? How
long is the USB cable? Are you plugging directly into a USB port on the
computer case or to an external USB hub? If to an external USB hub, is
it a powered hub? USB ports are paired (each USB controller manages 2
channels with a total of combined 500mA draw across both ports). Is
anything else plugged into the other USB port that pairs up with the one
you are trying to use for the external USB drive?

Does this external USB drive have its own power supply or does it
attempt to suck all its power out the USB port?

Some motherboards provide a combination of USB1.1 and USB2.0 ports. How
many USB ports are on the computer case? If more than 1 pair, have you
tried other USB ports (and with nothing else connected to the other
paired USB ports)?

You could also read:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Also, there could be a problem with the PCB in the USB enclosure. When
you plug in the device, its presentation data is sent to the OS and it
is possible that one host will accept corrupted data whereas another
will not. Sometimes this can be corrected by removing USB entries under
the ENUM and USBstor keys under the HKLM hive in the registry. Putzing
around there is hazardous so I won't discuss that under other normal
troubleshooting procedures have been exhausted. However, for a device
that doesn't properly identify itself (shows as "Unknown device" in
Device Manager), the fix is often temporary.

chuckcar 04-25-2009 04:02 PM

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:gsv795$b2g$1@news.motzarella.org:

> Franco Proctor wrote:
>
>> I installed my old 160GB hard drive into a drive caddy, first time I
>> plugged it in to my PC (Via USB 2.0 cable) the external drive was seen
>> correctly and I accessed it fine. Now, when I try and plug it in I get
>> a message coming up saying that I would get faster access if I plugged
>> it into a USB 2.00 port (which it is) and then when I go to My Computer
>> the drive doesn't show now.
>>
>> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the
>> drive.
>>
>> Any suggestions?

>> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

>> Many thanks
>>
>> Franco

> From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
> some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.

Wrong. He states quite clearly XP professonal. See between "=" above.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

VanguardLH 04-25-2009 06:28 PM

chuckcar wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Franco Proctor wrote:
>>> Tried it on my daughter's laptop and have no trouble accessing the
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Running windows XP professional with the usual additions.

>> From your mention of "My Computer", my guess is that you are running
>> some version of Windows but you never bothered to mention WHICH version.

> Wrong. He states quite clearly XP professonal. See between "=" above.

Odd but part of his post didn't appear in my retrieved copy. The last
line was "Tried on my daughter's laptop ...". I cleared the newsgroup
(deleted all posts) and retrieved them all again whereupon the full
article showed up. **** happens. Today it landed on my face.

Evan Platt 04-25-2009 06:36 PM

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:28:44 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Odd but part of his post didn't appear in my retrieved copy. The last
>line was "Tried on my daughter's laptop ...". I cleared the newsgroup
>(deleted all posts) and retrieved them all again whereupon the full
>article showed up. **** happens. Today it landed on my face.

Don't worry, you're nowhere near the level of chuckcar. :)

Tony 04-26-2009 12:10 AM

Re: Problems accessing external sata drive

Chuck just answer the initial question you dick. Are you going to tell him to
"flesh the bios"?

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city