Velocity Reviews

-   -   Broadband and Dialup (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t681030-broadband-and-dialup.html)

species8350 04-23-2009 01:31 AM

Broadband and Dialup

Hi,

I use dialup.

The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.

My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
dialup?

If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

Thanks

PS. UK Resident

Tony 04-23-2009 01:56 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

Well if it's anything like CanaDUH you need dial-up to "fall back on"
because broadband is among the worst in the entire world.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

chuckcar 04-23-2009 02:29 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

species8350 <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I use dialup.
>
> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
>
> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
> dialup?
>
> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
>
> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?
>
> Thanks

with ADSL - which uses the phone line, you just don't take off the filter
before the computer to use normal dial=up. If you want to use Broadband,
you take it out.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt 04-23-2009 02:34 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:57:55 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets so the
>dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

Uhhhh... Ooookkkkk.

And assuming the OP is talking about DSL, a filter would need to be on
each phone line in the house / line.

thanatoid 04-23-2009 03:53 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350
> <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I use dialup.
>>
>>The person who owns the house is going to introduce
>>broadband.
>>
>>My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be
>>able to use dialup?

> Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets
> so the dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

Where the hell did you get THAT? Phone companies do almost
everything, and every person I know who was stupid enough to
sign up for their cable TV provider's "phone, TV AND internet"
package regrets it DEEPLY.

OP: Most ISP, when you sign up for BB, vapoirize your dial up
conectoiion at the same time.

But you can connect as many computers to your BB router as you
want.

If you want /both/ Dial UP and BB (WHY?) you probably will have
to get a second phone line.

<SNIP>

>>Could we both use the broadband connection at the same
>>time?

> With a router.

I've never seen a BB connection WITHOUT a router in the house
(yours or the neighbor's)...

--
(Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

PeeCee 04-23-2009 06:57 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

"species8350" <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I use dialup.
>
> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
>
> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
> dialup?

*********************
Yes, probably.

> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

*********************************
Yes, with the owners permission of course.

> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

Yes, unless it's a service that is tied to a particular machine.

snip

Because you have not given details of the broadband provider and the method
of broadband delivery some of the yes's may not apply.
For example is the house owner going to continue the present phone service,
or change over to naked DSL with VOIP phone service?

In a 'typical' ADSL broadband installation the broadband signal is provided
over the telephone lines and is seperated from the phones in the customers
home by adding filters to the line to split broadband from POTS (plain old
telephone system)
Because the POTS service is still provided a dial up modem will still work
(as will a fax) provided a dial up account with an ISP is available.
Often when a customer converts to Broadband their previous dial up access
stops or goes into a prepay/pay as you go model.
If you were using your landlords dial up account then you may not be able to
dial up.
However if you are dialing up to your own dial up account then the only
restriction is if the other members of the household get the pricker because
you are tying up the phone line.

On the broadband side most ADSL broadband is terminated in the home with an
ADSL Modem / Router combination device.
The output from this Modem/Router is usually a standard RJ45 LAN connection
and by plugging a LAN 'Switch' into this outlet any number of computers can
connect to the broadband.
You can also plug in a Wireless LAN access point for computers to connect
via WiFi.
A lot of the Modem / Routers available today include all of these features
and have the connection to the broadband signal, 4 RJ45 LAN sockets and a
WiFi LAN connection all built into the one box.
The only 'gotcha' for this connectability is when you plug 6 PC's in and all
start downloading movies at once. naturally the speed to each PC will
suffer.
There is also the issue of how much you contribute to the cost of getting
the broadband, something only you and your landlord can work out.

Best
Paul.

Desk Rabbit 04-23-2009 08:14 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

species8350 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use dialup.
>
> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
>
> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
> dialup?

Yes

> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

Yes

> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

Yes

> Thanks

You are welcome

> PS. UK Resident

Me2

Desk Rabbit 04-23-2009 08:16 AM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

richard wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350
> <not_here.5.species8350@xoxy.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use dialup.
>>
>> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
>>
>> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
>> dialup?

> Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets so the
> dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

DOH! Broadband and in particular ADSL is delivered over a phone line.

>> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

> At seperate times.

Heard of router?

>> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

> With a router.

I see you have...

catchme 04-23-2009 01:04 PM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

species8350 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use dialup.
>
> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
>
> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
> dialup?
>
> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
>
> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?
>
> Thanks
>
> PS. UK Resident

most certainly.
possibly.
again, possibly.
you are welcome.

catchme 04-23-2009 01:07 PM

Re: Broadband and Dialup

Tony wrote:
> Well if it's anything like CanaDUH you need dial-up to "fall back on"
> because broadband is among the worst in the entire world.

not exactly true.
Broadband IS faster than dialup, and I believe that in the UK they pay
for their dialup by the minute, same as their phone service?

By the way, US and Canada are about the same in terms of connection
speed, but everyone is way behind Japan!