Velocity Reviews

-   -   Proving you've sent an email (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t681013-proving-youve-sent-an-email.html)

Matty F 04-22-2009 10:38 PM

Proving you've sent an email

Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-22-2009 11:25 PM

Re: Proving you've sent an email

In message <1580577f-d1d5-4316-
ab95-4a8f74e97628@s1g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Matty F wrote:

> Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?

Not unless you ask them for an acknowledgement.

Matty F 04-23-2009 12:03 AM

On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <pud...@invalid.xxx> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:
> > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
> > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
> > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
> > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
> might look it up for you :).

That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
received.

Stephen Worthington 04-23-2009 01:01 AM

Re: Proving you've sent an email

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:03:51 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<mattyf9265@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <pud...@invalid.xxx> wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:
>> > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
>> > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
>> > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
>> > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

>> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
>> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
>> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
>> might look it up for you :).

>That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
>arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
>received.

There are lots of ways for emails to go missing after being sent. The
usual one is for the receiving end to classify it as spam, but there
are many others. You have to get a reply to be sure anything was
received.

Richard 04-23-2009 02:26 AM

Matty F wrote:
> Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
> Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
> information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
> All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

Ask your mail provider for an excerpt of the smtp logs prooving delivery
to the designated MTA for the domain in question. It should have the
message id and everything in it.

My attitude is that people employing spam filters that discard valid
messages is like hiring a retarded receptionist that is throwing away
business leads, so its all their fault.

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. 04-23-2009 04:55 AM

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <mattyf9265@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
>Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
>information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
>All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
the world at anytime v my home isp addy].

As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
click on the 'send receipt' button either!

Cath

Matty F 04-23-2009 06:23 AM

Re: Proving you've sent an email

On Apr 23, 4:55 pm, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..
wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> >Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
> >Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
> >information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
> >All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
> another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
> the world at anytime v my home isp addy].
>
> As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
> click on the 'send receipt' button either!

The TradeMe seller was a moron and had not chosen to use (and was
probably unaware of) the automatic emailing facility of TradeMe where
messages are sent through TradeMe and therefore can be easily traced.
I have just bought some books off TradeMe and neither I nor the seller
sent any emails. As soon as the auction finished I got an automatic
message and was able to transfer the money. The seller was
automatically sent my address and printed my address out for the
courier.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-23-2009 07:30 AM

In message <eusvu4t9oj9idba4s72ir21b5l24anqg6l@4ax.com>, wrote:

> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a
> cc to yourself and a bcc to another account.

Doesn't prove anything. Just because it was received at those accounts
doesn't mean it was received anywhere else.

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. 04-24-2009 04:38 AM

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:30 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In message <eusvu4t9oj9idba4s72ir21b5l24anqg6l@4ax.com>, wrote:
>
>> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a
>> cc to yourself and a bcc to another account.

>Doesn't prove anything. Just because it was received at those accounts
>doesn't mean it was received anywhere else.

True! I am still waiting for 3 emails sent to me about 4 years ago from one of my old boss' in NZ.
Fortunately the 4th one quering why I hadn't replied made it!

Cath

texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom.. 04-24-2009 04:40 AM

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:23:44 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <mattyf9265@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>On Apr 23, 4:55 pm, texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit.usacom..
>wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT), Matty F <mattyf9...@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>> >Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
>> >Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
>> >information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
>> >All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

>> What about sending a cc and/or a bcc at the same time it's sent - send a cc to yourself and a bcc to
>> another account. I often send a bcc to a yahoo account [which is easier to access anywhere in
>> the world at anytime v my home isp addy].
>>
>> As someone has suggested, send it with a read receipt request - but then again, you don't have to
>> click on the 'send receipt' button either!

>The TradeMe seller was a moron and had not chosen to use (and was
>probably unaware of) the automatic emailing facility of TradeMe where
>messages are sent through TradeMe and therefore can be easily traced.
>I have just bought some books off TradeMe and neither I nor the seller
>sent any emails. As soon as the auction finished I got an automatic
>message and was able to transfer the money. The seller was
>automatically sent my address and printed my address out for the
>courier.

Thanks for the info on TradeMe.
I have a couple of their pages up at the moment - one of my past-times when I have time looking at
what's around, prices etc.
Guess I am going to learn their system rather quickly if I start buying.

Cath