Velocity Reviews

-   -   Connecting a libretto 110ct; win98se, to a configured router (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t680867-connecting-a-libretto-110ct-win98se-to-a-configured-router.html)

David & Susan 04-22-2009 02:41 AM

Connecting a libretto 110ct; win98se, to a configured router

I have a toshiba libretto with win98se and am using an IEEE802.11b WLAN card
to connect to a netgear router. The router was configured by netgear tech
support and I see netgear on card site survey I have encrytion passphrase and
has 4 key defaults though that appear as x's with encrytion enabled and tx
key 1. I used Home profile and created and activated it. and connected to
netgear ssid on site survey. I put passphrase on control panel ieee802.11b
wlan network configuration pc card. I also checkmarked ie6 auto setting on
tools and internet connection wizard. I tried Home profile option on wlan
card utility. I have a home.aspx# on desktop of notebook. Do I need the
actual SSID NUMBERS? Please help. The notebook has previous registration
owner on general tab and is also friend so he had settings already that I am
trying to work around because I don't have win98se disks I have win98se cdrom
and no serial cable hookup nor USB yet. I am using his profile though. Can I
have 2 administrator accounts? I have downloaded a lot of microsoft updated
to libretto notebook computer TAIS and programs from microsoft like
flashplayer9 from default connection from neighbors router. Help!

Barb Bowman 04-22-2009 08:23 AM

Re: Connecting a libretto 110ct; win98se, to a configured router

1. you need to get the installation media from whomever sold/gave
you this libretto. or restore to factory defaults using a built in
recovery partition. or return the libretto. if this person gave/sold
you a machine with their personal info on it, you don't want it to
begin with. Besides, win98se isn't something you'd want to run these
days by buying/acquiring a computer.

2. using WEP isn't safe

3. using a neighbors wireless connection is not a good thing to do.

if you want a small wireless "laptop", consider getting a netbook.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP