Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless adapter purchase (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t6804-wireless-adapter-purchase.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TUdyaWZm?= 06-23-2005 01:48 PM

Wireless adapter purchase

I have just a very general question. I am in the process of setting up a
home network, and will purchase a notebook adapter.

In general, is it best to purchase a USB adapter or PCMCIA card? I haven't
really found any good reviews comparing the two.

Thanks

Dave 06-23-2005 01:52 PM

Re: Wireless adapter purchase

these days its probably best to have it built in to the machine and not need
a separate adapter.

Jack 06-24-2005 01:03 AM

Re: Wireless adapter purchase

Hi

May be this can Help.

http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

Jack (MVP-Networking).

Jim Seifert [MSFT] 06-24-2005 03:36 PM

Re: Wireless adapter purchase

The usual recommendation is a PCMCIA card for a laptop - no wires ;). Built
in is nice as will if your laptop manufacturer has one that can be added to
your model. If you expect to use the adapter on a desktop machine or move
the adapter between a desktop and a laptop then a USB adapter should be
considered.

newsgroup purposes only.

Jim Howard 06-30-2005 02:57 PM

Re: Wireless adapter purchase

Having done a lot of testing with laptops in my work writing wifi software,
I find that PCMCIA is better for a laptop that does not have built in WiFi.
A USB dongle can be a hassel if you ever move your laptop, or use it in your
lap.

Jim Howard