Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   DVD player - weird problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t679342-dvd-player-weird-problem.html)

Richard Fangnail 04-10-2009 05:28 PM

DVD player - weird problem
 
I have an older Sony DVD player. I just rented a dvd (Slumdog) and
whenever it displayed the menu or scene selections, a low-pitched hum
came out of the player itself, as if something was wrong with the
motor. Sometimes this hum came out when just playing the film.

I tried two other discs and didn't have that problem. If the problem
is scratches, why would it cause this? I've never heard the player
make that noise before.

If the problem is only with one disc, you'd think the problem would be
the disc, and yet why would one disc cause that problem??

When you are just looking at the menu or scene selections for a disc,
is the disc turning the same way it turns when you are watching the
film?

Thanks

Archimedes' Lever 04-10-2009 06:23 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Richard Fangnail
<richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote:

>I have an older Sony DVD player. I just rented a dvd (Slumdog) and
>whenever it displayed the menu or scene selections, a low-pitched hum
>came out of the player itself, as if something was wrong with the
>motor. Sometimes this hum came out when just playing the film.
>
>I tried two other discs and didn't have that problem. If the problem
>is scratches, why would it cause this? I've never heard the player
>make that noise before.
>
>If the problem is only with one disc, you'd think the problem would be
>the disc, and yet why would one disc cause that problem??
>
>When you are just looking at the menu or scene selections for a disc,
>is the disc turning the same way it turns when you are watching the
>film?
>
>Thanks



It is probably wobble due to a slightly out of balance disc. It can also
be an oversized hole, which is far less likely, however.

The reason it does it on the menu is because of the menu file's
location on the disc.

Take one of those notebook punched hole reinforcement stickers, and
place it out at the outer edge (on the face not the edge) of the top side
of the disc. Touch it to your thumb face a few times first so it is not
so sticky that it is hard to get off... not too much though, it does
have to stick.

If the balance improves, you are done. Replace the test sticker with a
fresh one in that location that has full tackiness. If it gets worse,
re-orient the placement 180 degrees from the original position, retest,
and find the correct balance point.

Richard Fangnail 04-10-2009 06:36 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 

Thanks for the responses.

Is the menu/scene selection stuff near the hole or the outside edge of
the disc?

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 01:05 AM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:59:31 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<TB@someunknownaddress.com> wrote:

>Yes, the disc is spinning even when a menu is accessed. The speed the dvd
>spins will vary as the player reads sectors on various parts of the disc.



DVDs are not sectored. Speed varies as a function of the physical
location, with respect to radius, the read head is from the center hub as
lineal traverse per rotation varies with that location.

As in CLV. Constant linear velocity. No sectoring needed or utilized.

Of course, most intelligent folks that claim to have been in the
industry as long as you do, already know this trivial fact. You must be
exceptionally... stupid.

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 01:24 AM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Richard Fangnail
<richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote:

>
>Thanks for the responses.
>
>Is the menu/scene selection stuff near the hole or the outside edge of
>the disc?



I depends on who does the mastering session, and how it got outlined.

Outer edge is ideal as it spins the disc the slowest. I think discs
are read from inside to outside though for the movie stream, so even a
movie would start fast and move toward a slower spin, until it hits the
layer change which may then read from edge back to the hub so that the
head doesn't have to transition across the entire disc face after the
layer change, it can have a short hop to the lead in.

Leaving a menu up exercises one's player unnecessarily. I put in a
disc, and play the flic or extras or whatever, and then make sure I
remove it. Even with the movie stopped on the PS3, it still reads a
screen shot and some music for the XMB menu on the PS3.

I think it is a major design flaw to have java run things but be so
stupid as to not cache the data and let it run from the cache instead of
the disc, only spinning up the disc and read head when an actual call to
the disc is made via the menus.

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 05:50 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:38:10 -0400, Fred C. Dobbs <nus@tenretni.moc>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Richard Fangnail
><richardfangnail@excite.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an older Sony DVD player. I just rented a dvd (Slumdog) and
>>whenever it displayed the menu or scene selections, a low-pitched hum
>>came out of the player itself, as if something was wrong with the
>>motor. Sometimes this hum came out when just playing the film.
>>
>>I tried two other discs and didn't have that problem. If the problem
>>is scratches, why would it cause this? I've never heard the player
>>make that noise before.
>>
>>If the problem is only with one disc, you'd think the problem would be
>>the disc, and yet why would one disc cause that problem??
>>
>>When you are just looking at the menu or scene selections for a disc,
>>is the disc turning the same way it turns when you are watching the
>>film?
>>
>>Thanks

>
>
>If it is a rental , does it have a paper bar code label around the
>center hole? If so, it may be may the culprit, the dis may be out of
>balance due to the label causing it to vibrate.
>Fred



If it has a label on it, of course that is the problem if it is not a
symmetrical label.

The only non-symetrical label that can go on a disc is when the label
is meant for correcting an out of balance disc.

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 06:01 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:28:26 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<TB@someunknownaddress.com> wrote:

>"Archimedes' Lever" babbled:
>
>> DVDs are not sectored. Speed varies as a function of the physical
>> location, with respect to radius, the read head is from the center hub as
>> lineal traverse per rotation varies with that location.
>>
>> As in CLV. Constant linear velocity. No sectoring needed or utilized.
>>
>> Of course, most intelligent folks that claim to have been in the
>> industry as long as you do, already know this trivial fact. You must be
>> exceptionally... stupid.

>
>
>Yo brainiac. Dvds contain usually 2,298,496 sectors (4,707,319,808 bytes).
>
>Case (or in your instance), Cretin closed.
>
>T.B.



No, idiot. A sectored DVD would be a CAV implementation. There are no
CAV DVDs.

CLV discs maintain the same lineal speed throughout the read.

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 07:14 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:54:19 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<TB@someunknownaddress.com> wrote:

>"Archimedes' Lever" farted:
>>
>> If it has a label on it, of course that is the problem if it is not a
>> symmetrical label.
>>
>> The only non-symetrical label that can go on a disc is when the label
>> is meant for correcting an out of balance disc.

>
>
>Maybe you should stick post-it notes all over the dvd. That might do the
>trick.
>
>T.B.



Considering that the solution I gave was viable, and is in use around
the world today, and your is not, and never has been... I feel pretty
safe in my superiority over a total ****ing retard like you.

Maybe you should stick to being stupid... oh wait! You *are* doing
just that!

Bwuahahahahaha!

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 07:16 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:13:08 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<TB@someunknownaddress.com> wrote:

>"Archimedes' Lever" babbled:
> >
>> No, idiot. A sectored DVD would be a CAV implementation. There are no
>> CAV DVDs.
>>
>> CLV discs maintain the same lineal speed throughout the read.

>
>That has nothing to do with the fact a dvd does indeed have sectors.


It does, however, have a lot to do with your remarks about why he had
noise. You were wrong. Period. I was talking about hard sectoring.

All file systems have soft sectoring, dumbass.

Archimedes' Lever 04-11-2009 10:28 PM

Re: DVD player - weird problem
 
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:11:29 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
<TB@someunknownaddress.com> wrote:


>Aside from 3rd grade kids, who writes "Bwuahahahahaha!" in a e-mail like
>they're Dr Evil or something?
>
>Oh wait. We're forgetting Archie here.
>
>T.B.



This ain't e-mail, you ****ing total retard. Yet more proof of just how
jack-brained you are.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.