Velocity Reviews

-   General Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f44-general-computer-support.html)
-   -   Date stamp and how to change on a doc.file (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t678858-date-stamp-and-how-to-change-on-a-doc-file.html)

vikingwoman61 04-07-2009 12:29 AM

Date stamp and how to change on a doc.file

I am about as ignorant as they come in regard to computers......I recently learned that the date stamp on computer files/docs can be altered and that there is software that enables the user to alter it.

My question is; WHY would you want to alter a date stamp on a doc? Are there legitimate reasons for doing this?

I have concerns that some work related docs have been altered to protect certain individuals.

Thanks!

jbuyers 06-22-2009 02:08 AM

they can be altered, but any security admin will query actions which users used to alter file properties...Everything leaves a trace. Everything.

Now, someone would alter a date stamp to control the perception of time relating to said document or the completion time of said document. There are legitimate reasons (like grouping with a batch of other documents to make sorting easier --- other reasons are obvious: someone simply opened the file and resaved it, changing it automatically with a later date....but most weasels alter it to make docs appear that they came *before* they really did

Be careful. hope this helps.