Velocity Reviews

-   -   Rsync is slow with my new 32GB Flash Drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t678182-rsync-is-slow-with-my-new-32gb-flash-drive.html)

Mango 04-01-2009 04:36 PM

Rsync is slow with my new 32GB Flash Drive

I was all excited about getting my new Patriot PEF32GUSB 32GB flash drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to play nice with
cygwin/rsync to the tune of 0.43MB/sec. When I copy files to the flash drive using Windows Explorer, it copies at the expected rate of
8.75MB/sec. And when I rsync files to my USB hard drive, it rsyncs at 5.7MB/sec - not full speed but a lot better than 0.43MB.

I am rsyncing from one drive to the other on the same PC; this is not over a network.

Using Windows XP. Thanks in advance for any advice,
Mango

Mango 04-01-2009 04:42 PM

Re: Rsync is slow with my new 32GB Flash Drive

Ah-ha! The drive is formatted as FAT32, not NTFS...going to reformat it and see if that solves the problem.

m.

Mango 04-01-2009 08:49 PM

Re: Rsync is slow with my new 32GB Flash Drive

Changed to NTFS and gained a whopping 0.02MB/sec.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

m.

why? 04-02-2009 04:11 PM

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:49:26 -0700, Mango wrote:

>Changed to NTFS and gained a whopping 0.02MB/sec.
>
>Any other ideas would be welcome.

Like this www.google.com
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,000 for
rsync usb performance
.. (0.18 seconds)

I haven't read any of these, that's your job.

By default some of the hits involve networking, however any rsync issues
may be related to non networked causes.

QNAP NAS Community Forum View topic - [Solved] Slow performance ...
3 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 5 Feb
I have read several other threads about slow USB performance on this
forum but they mostly attribute the poor performance to using rsync. ...
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10484

Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance
15 posts - 5 authors - Last post: 30 Jul 2008
Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance. Just for the fun of it... Smile
..... Make sure there is nothing else attached to the USB ports. ...
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...d.php?tid=4835

Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance
11 posts - 7 authors - Last post: 26 Jan
RE: Network, disk, ftp, rsync performance. Hi, I have executed the
installation over USB-Stick published by "lmfs"-instructions. ...
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/sh...ction=lastpost - 69k
- Cached - Similar pages -

>m.
>

>Mango wrote:
>> Ah-ha! The drive is formatted as FAT32, not NTFS...going to reformat it
>> and see if that solves the problem.

Doubt it, filesystem translation is handled by the OS.

>> m.
>>

>> Mango wrote:
>>> I was all excited about getting my new Patriot PEF32GUSB 32GB flash
>>> drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to play nice with
>>> cygwin/rsync to the tune of 0.43MB/sec. When I copy files to the

Another version / upgrade rsync.

Not using cygwin? Have you tried booting from a Linux live CD/DVD and
testing rsync that way?

Also www.google.com
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 686,000 for
cygwin rsync performance
.. (0.25 seconds)

cygwin rsync performance and bandwidth between two w2003 servers
cygwin rsync performance and bandwidth between two w2003 servers. Ulrich
Jung ulrich.jung at wfw.de. Thu Sep 14 11:42:49 GMT 2006 ...
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync...er/016273.html

FW: rsync performance
12 Sep 2003 ... It does not take advantage of any OS IO performance
enhancements. I'm sorry that you find rsync's local performance
disappointing but that ...
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync...er/007175.html

Jim Kleckner - Re: rsync over ssh performance problem in cygwin
We have strange problem with rsync performance. We do files
syncronization from w2k (cygwin, rsync 2.5.6) over ssh to Linux (rsync

Jim Kleckner - Re: Rsync performance increase through buffering ...
12 Dec 2002 ... This may explain the horrendous performance of rsync
with ssh under cygwin. Perhaps the way that cygwin emulates these calls.
www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-12/msg00690.html

Looks like searching / asking in cygwin forums might be a good idea.