Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t678078-re-most-of-my-newsgroups-are-gone.html)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-01-2009 12:01 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Arthur F. Quinn wrote:

> What should I do next?


Get a better newsreader, for sure. And, judging by your other posts, a
better email client as well. OE is well known for stuffing itself up.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-01-2009 02:31 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Ar Q wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>| Arthur F. Quinn wrote:
>|> What should I do next?
>|
>| Get a better newsreader, for sure. And, judging by your other
> posts, a
>| better email client as well. OE is well known for stuffing
> itself up.
>
> But I love Microsoft products. They are the most reliable software.
> Most people are just jealous of their success.


I have no qualms if you continue to use Microsoft products. I guess
you're used to having to recover your email and news files (or not). It
would be nice if you would fix your quoting, though. Use ">".

Oh, and enjoy all your viruses, worms, and all the anti-malware stuff
you need for them. <lol>

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows - on April 1st

Mike Easter 04-01-2009 02:32 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Ar Q wrote:
> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"


>> Get a better newsreader, for sure. And, judging by your other posts, a
>> better email client as well. OE is well known for stuffing itself up.
>>

>
> But I love Microsoft products. They are the most reliable
> software. Most people are just jealous of their success.


In order to use OE moderately successfully, you need to become an 'OE
wrangler' - using 3rd party addons and various strategies to make up for
its numerous deficiencies and insecurities.

OE needs OE QuoteFix to compensate its editor problems, YProxy to
compensate its lack of yDecoding, Nfilter to help it be a newsagent with a
filter, SpamPal to compensate for its lack of mailfilter tools, and
careful and gentle handling to prevent corruption of its database - which
corruption you have just had a little taste of.



--
Mike Easter


Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-01-2009 03:35 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Ar Q wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>| I have no qualms if you continue to use Microsoft products. I
> guess
>| you're used to having to recover your email and news files (or
> not). It
>| would be nice if you would fix your quoting, though. Use ">".
>|
>
> The ">" you see is the indent default setting. Microsoft provides
> three different indents (">", "|" and ":") for people to choose
> from. But most people are too lazy to change the default setting.


You say the > is the default. There's a reason for that, as it is a
defacto standard for quoting. So you change it just to raise hackles.

> If different indents are chosen, the nested quote messages will be
> much easier to read,


That is not so. And besides, you're screwing up the line length somehow.
Look at your own post. My word "guess" is on a separate line with no
quotemark in your post. You need OE-QuoteFix.

> just like there are no malicious people to create malware, the Windows
> will run more smoothly.


That line makes no sense, either.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-01-2009 04:34 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Ar Q wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in
> message news:gqundq$ni1$1@news.motzarella.org...
>| Ar Q wrote:
>|
>|> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>|> The ">" you see is the indent default setting. Microsoft
> provides
>|> three different indents (">", "|" and ":") for people to
> choose
>|> from. But most people are too lazy to change the default
> setting.
>|
>| You say the > is the default. There's a reason for that, as it
> is a
>| defacto standard for quoting. So you change it just to raise
> hackles.
>|
>|> If different indents are chosen, the nested quote messages
> will be
>|> much easier to read,
>|
>| That is not so. And besides, you're screwing up the line length
> somehow.
>| Look at your own post. My word "guess" is on a separate line
> with no
>| quotemark in your post.
>|
>
> Yes sir. No wearing white after Labor Day.


You snipped my comment about you needing OE-QuoteFix. Your post is a
mess.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-01-2009 06:37 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
"Ar Q" <ArQ273@hottmail.com> wrote:

>The ">" you see is the indent default setting. Microsoft provides
>three different indents (">", "|" and ":") for people to choose
>from. But most people are too lazy to change the default setting.


I changed the > to |> drove Blinky nuts, cause it would screw his
newsreader Xnews (how the text was formatted) - and he's the only one
who told me about it.

I use the > now, I just stick with the default.

I use Agent for most of my use, I use OE cause it will transfer POP
mail from gmail.com (Agent won't) - lot of extra work using OE.
--

google trend...
http://twitpic.com/2m53e

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 04-01-2009 06:52 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
"Ar Q" <ArQ273@hottmail.com> wrote:

>I have fixed the problem. Last time the corruption occurred was
>five years ago. Once I found my notes, it only took 10 minutes to
>make all things back to normal.
>
>MS software are marvelous, especially MS OE. Something broke once
>every five years. I will take that.


I've used Agent since version .98, I have updated as it grows, never
once have I lost a message or been reconfigured. I've run it over 10
years now.


I keep helpful post this one I have had since it was posted.

Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
Subject: Re: \repair??
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:13:43 -0400

Get it - Agent has never lost anything, you are in a 5 year cycle and
praise MS for it.


--

google trend...
http://twitpic.com/2m53e

Mike Yetto 04-01-2009 11:40 AM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Bada bing Bill <spamtrap@tinlc.lumbercartel.com> bada bang:
> In article <nPednczqjKVKW0_UnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@earthlink.com> , ArQ273
> @hottmail.com says...
>>
>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:gquasd$od4$1@news.motzarella.org...
>> | Arthur F. Quinn wrote:
>> |
>> | > What should I do next?
>> |
>> | Get a better newsreader, for sure. And, judging by your other
>> posts, a
>> | better email client as well. OE is well known for stuffing
>> itself up.
>> |
>>
>> But I love Microsoft products. They are the most reliable
>> software. Most people are just jealous of their success.

>
> If you see Alec Baldwin coming at you with a melonballer, just smile
> and say thankyou.
>
> Bill


Well struck, sir.

Mike "we're Usenet, its what we do" Yetto
--
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
- William of Ockham

Dan C 04-01-2009 12:49 PM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:29:50 -0400, Ar Q wrote:

> MS software are marvelous, especially MS OE. Something broke once every
> five years. I will take that.


OK, it should be obvious to all of you now, that this ****ing dipshit is
nothing but a retarded troll, and he's playing you all like fish on a
hook.

Shut the **** up and quit feeding the moron.


--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
Need help?: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-01-2009 01:05 PM

Re: Most of my newsgroups are gone!
 
Dan C wrote:

> OK, it should be obvious to all of you now, that this ****ing dipshit
> is nothing but a retarded troll,


It's so strange...

The Arthur F. Quinn person was so nice. Then the Ar Q person showed up,
and everything went to hell-in-a-handbasket.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.