Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: PROBLEM: Is there anyway to make the Windows XP taskbar larger? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t677766-re-problem-is-there-anyway-to-make-the-windows-xp-taskbar-larger.html)

VanguardLH 03-30-2009 12:45 AM

Jimmy Dean wrote:

> When using high resolutions, everything on the Desktop gets very
> small. Can make icons bigger, but apparently not the TaskBar ??

Have you tried the following yet?

- Right-click on the Desktop and select Properties in the context menu.
- Select the Appearance tab.
- Click the Advanced button.
- In the Item drop-down list, select "Active Titlebar".
- Change (increase) its size.
- Okay your way out of the dialogs.
- If no immediate change, logoff and logon.

VanguardLH 03-31-2009 05:07 AM

Jimmy Dean wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Jimmy Dean wrote:
>>
>>> When using high resolutions, everything on the Desktop gets very
>>> small. Can make icons bigger, but apparently not the TaskBar ??

>> Have you tried the following yet?
>>
>> - Right-click on the Desktop and select Properties in the context
>> menu.
>> - Select the Appearance tab.
>> - Click the Advanced button.
>> - In the Item drop-down list, select "Active Titlebar".
>> - Change (increase) its size.
>> - Okay your way out of the dialogs.
>> - If no immediate change, logoff and logon.

> Cool, it worked (unlike suggestions to simply drag the Taskbar up,
> which makes the area available to icons etc. bigger but leaves the
> icons themselves the same size)

I won't take credit for that answer. It was culled and reorganized from
an article found simply by doing a Google search. However, I knew that
changing the size of the taskbar was not going to affect the size of
icons displayed within it.

If using high resolutions but you want to make the text more readable,
the same path that I mentioned lets you alter several windows objects
and their text but not all of them and not in many applications.
Instead you might want to look at the DPI (dots per inch) setting that
affect the size of text (not of images or videos which is instead
affected by screen resolution). From the Display applet you were in
before, go to Settings tab and click the Advanced button. The DPI
setting is on the General tab. I set mine from 96 (default) to 120.
Note that some web pages do not account for a change in the DPI so their
text may not fit inside the table cell, frame, textbox, or other web
page object in which they display that text. I haven't had much
problems so far but occasionally notice some partial text on the bottom
line or extending beyond the right edge of a textbox.

If you have an LCD monitor, you should run it as its native resolution.
Any other resolution requires interpolation which generates fuzzy output
or color hinting alongside strokes in characters. However, increased
monitor size with increased resolution results in not making the text
any easier to read and sometimes it harder to read. That's where the
DPI setting comes in handy.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-31-2009 12:11 PM

dadiOH wrote:

> Jimmy Dean wrote:

>> Cool, it worked (unlike suggestions to simply drag the Taskbar up,
>> which makes the area available to icons etc. bigger but leaves the
>> icons themselves the same size)

> You said you *could* make the icons bigger, asked how to make the
> taskbar bigger.

It was da grammer, Dadi!

"I can make the Desktop icons bigger, but I cannot make the icons on the
Taskbar bigger."

It's amazin' what a bit o' third-grade trainin' can do, ain't it?

--
-bts