Velocity Reviews

-   -   ACDsee 6.0 for Photos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t677526-acdsee-6-0-for-photos.html)

Richard 03-27-2009 06:04 PM

ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
Photos manager. ACDsee has so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to buy.
I figure they would have version 7,8 and so on but now they have all kinds
of crap and I'm not sure what to get. ver. 6 was good but of course it was
release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor
without paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
professional.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-27-2009 06:09 PM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

Richard wrote:

> I'm a beginner so I don't need anything professional.

You could probably get by with the oft-recommended Irfanview.
http://irfanview.com/ Free.

If you find yourself beyond 'beginner' and want something more
Photoshop-like, look at The Gimp. Also free.
http://gimp.org/

--
-bts

Mike Easter 03-27-2009 06:14 PM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

Richard wrote:
> Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
> Photos manager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._image_viewers This article
presents a comparison of image viewers and image organizers which can be
used for image viewing.

41 apps characterized in 4 different tables for general characteristics,
supported desktop environments, supported fileformats, and features --
half of them are free, half of them are windows. That means in general
that the other half aren't.

If you figure out which acdsee6 functions you actually want, you'll be
better able to choose something.

--
Mike Easter

Ian Jackson 03-27-2009 09:26 PM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

In message <gqj4p0$dhl$1@news.motzarella.org>, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<a.nony.mous@example.invalid> writes
>Richard wrote:
>
>> I'm a beginner so I don't need anything professional.

>You could probably get by with the oft-recommended Irfanview.
>http://irfanview.com/ Free.
>
>If you find yourself beyond 'beginner' and want something more
>Photoshop-like, look at The Gimp. Also free.
>http://gimp.org/

I have ADCsee, Irfanview, and several others. I tried Picassa, but
simply couldn't get the hang of some of the things it did.

However, for almost all my photos, I use FastStone Image Viewer.
http://www.faststone.org/

[This is freeware, but donation is suggested. After using it for about
three years, when my conscience eventually got the better of me, I
donated, and they took $15 off me. This seemed to be a standard, fixed
amount.]

FastStone Image Viewer lacks Photoshop's 'clone' tool (and a lot of the
other 'really clever' stuff). 'The Gimp' has many of these, but it seems
much more complicated than FastStone, and I haven't really tried to use
it much. FastStone is very easy to use, and is certainly worth a try.
--
Ian

Ian Jackson 03-27-2009 09:30 PM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

In message <734jbsFstbppU1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Easter
<MikeE@ster.invalid> writes
>Richard wrote:
>> Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
>> Photos manager.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari..._image_viewers This article
>presents a comparison of image viewers and image organizers which can be
>used for image viewing.
>
>41 apps characterized in 4 different tables for general characteristics,
>supported desktop environments, supported fileformats, and features --
>half of them are free, half of them are windows. That means in general
>that the other half aren't.
>
>If you figure out which acdsee6 functions you actually want, you'll be
>better able to choose something.

That's a very useful link. Thanks.
--
Ian

Zo 03-28-2009 12:38 PM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

Richard brought next idea :
> Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
> Photos manager. ACDsee has so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to buy.
> I figure they would have version 7,8 and so on but now they have all kinds of
> crap and I'm not sure what to get. ver. 6 was good but of course it was
> release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor without
> paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
> professional.

I found this one not too long ago that's worth a look. I really like
the speak/think bubbles feature that you can apply to your photos.

Photoscape

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

--
Zo
"Caution Water On Road During Rain" -- A sign in Malaysia.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 03-29-2009 05:23 AM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

"Richard" <miller039@cox.net> wrote:

>Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
>Photos manager. ACDsee has so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to buy.
>I figure they would have version 7,8 and so on but now they have all kinds
>of crap and I'm not sure what to get. ver. 6 was good but of course it was
>release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor
>without paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
>professional.

I use ACDsee 3.1 - it was the versions after that point that it
started to go bloatware, you can see it happen here:
http://www.oldversion.com/ACDSee.html

ACDsee is my default graphic viewer...
--

Dynamite fishermen accidentally kill the world's most unlucky diver.
http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s090324.html

thanatoid 03-29-2009 06:15 AM

Re: ACDsee 6.0 for Photos

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in

For me, ver 2.22 was the last non-bloated non-pig.
And the price those bastards charge for it (yes, I actually
bought it)! Unbelievable.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)