Velocity Reviews

-   -   Enabled but not connected (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t677414-enabled-but-not-connected.html)

John Callaway 03-26-2009 10:44 PM

Enabled but not connected

I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected. I have
repeatedly tried to fix it in the device manager. I have removed it
and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
detective. Could someone walk me through this?

JPC

Lem 03-26-2009 11:36 PM

Re: Enabled but not connected

John Callaway wrote:
> I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
> wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
> get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected. I have
> repeatedly tried to fix it in the device manager. I have removed it
> and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
> detective. Could someone walk me through this?
>
> JPC

1. Win XP Home, Pro, MCE? What service pack?

2. Where did you get the drivers that you installed?

3. To what are you trying to connect? Your own wifi network? A public
hot-spot? Other?

4. What do you see if you go to Start > Connect To > Wireless Network
Connction?

5. Have you ever been able to connect to any wifi network?
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

John 03-26-2009 11:36 PM

"John Callaway" <jcalla@erols.com> wrote in message
>I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
> wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
> get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected.

Are you trying to connect to an open wireless network or secured (ie.
require a passphrase to join)? If there's security, what is it (WEP, WPA or
WPA2)? My guess is the network may be WPA or WPA2 protected but your laptop
wireless card does not support WPA/WPA2 security or your Windows XP does not
have WPA2 patch installed.

Jack-MVP 03-27-2009 02:23 AM

Re: Enabled but not connected

Hi
Try to follow this process, maybe it can Help you to find the "Point of No
Working".
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

John Callaway 03-27-2009 10:02 AM

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:36:09 -0400, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

>John Callaway wrote:
>> I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
>> wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
>> get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected. I have
>> repeatedly tried to fix it in the device manager. I have removed it
>> and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
>> detective. Could someone walk me through this?
>>
>> JPC

>1. Win XP Home, Pro, MCE? What service pack?
>
>2. Where did you get the drivers that you installed?
>
>3. To what are you trying to connect? Your own wifi network? A public
>hot-spot? Other?
>
>4. What do you see if you go to Start > Connect To > Wireless Network
>Connction?
>
>5. Have you ever been able to connect to any wifi network?

1. I have XP Pro, SP2, CPU 440 @ 1.86 GHz with 1.87 GB Ram.
2. When I first got this machine, it had drivers on a disk. I went to
the facility that has the public hot-spot that encourages people to
come in and connect. After I first fired up the wireless, it showed an
icon in the toolbar that it was searching for a network. It never did
find one. I thought the drivers might be out of date, so I purchased
driver detective and downloaded the appropriate drivers that it said I
needed. It still didn't work, so I removed the device in device
manager and started over from scratch. Now it says I am not connected
and the card does not exist.
3. Public hot-spot.
4. My wi-fi connection is enabled but not connected.
5. No. This is the first time I have tried.

JPC

Lem 03-27-2009 03:00 PM

John Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:36:09 -0400, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>

>> John Callaway wrote:
>>> I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
>>> wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
>>> get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected. I have
>>> repeatedly tried to fix it in the device manager. I have removed it
>>> and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
>>> detective. Could someone walk me through this?
>>>
>>> JPC

>> 1. Win XP Home, Pro, MCE? What service pack?
>>
>> 2. Where did you get the drivers that you installed?
>>
>> 3. To what are you trying to connect? Your own wifi network? A public
>> hot-spot? Other?
>>
>> 4. What do you see if you go to Start > Connect To > Wireless Network
>> Connction?
>>
>> 5. Have you ever been able to connect to any wifi network?

> 1. I have XP Pro, SP2, CPU 440 @ 1.86 GHz with 1.87 GB Ram.
> 2. When I first got this machine, it had drivers on a disk. I went to
> the facility that has the public hot-spot that encourages people to
> come in and connect. After I first fired up the wireless, it showed an
> icon in the toolbar that it was searching for a network. It never did
> find one. I thought the drivers might be out of date, so I purchased
> driver detective and downloaded the appropriate drivers that it said I
> needed. It still didn't work, so I removed the device in device
> manager and started over from scratch. Now it says I am not connected
> and the card does not exist.
> 3. Public hot-spot.
> 4. My wi-fi connection is enabled but not connected.
> 5. No. This is the first time I have tried.
>
> JPC

The initial problem probably was not your wireless adapter's driver.

Is the answer to Q4 from before you reinstalled the adapter? If not, I
don't understand how the card can be reported to not exist at the same
time your wifi connection is reported to be enabled. In any event, I
take it that you don't see this screen (with or without any networks in
the list):
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...ks/Index.shtml

Follow the process shown on the page linked in MVP Jack's post and if
you still can't connect, report the results of the various steps.
--
Lem -- MS-MVP

John Callaway 03-28-2009 10:29 AM

Re: Enabled but not connected

I notice in my device manager there is a network adapter but no
network connection on the list.

JPC

Lem 03-28-2009 03:53 PM

John Callaway wrote:
> I notice in my device manager there is a network adapter but no
> network connection on the list.
>
> JPC
>
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:23:56 -0400, "Jack-MVP"
> <jack@discussgroups.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Try to follow this process, maybe it can Help you to find the "Point of No
>> Working".
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "John Callaway" <jcalla@erols.com> wrote in message
>>> I am new to wireless, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Ralink
>>> wireless lan card V2 in my Pacard Bell Laptop XP OS. I can't seem to
>>> get the card to connect. It is enabled but not connected. I have
>>> repeatedly tried to fix it in the device manager. I have removed it
>>> and reinstalled 33 MB of new drivers that I downloaded using driver
>>> detective. Could someone walk me through this?
>>>
>>> JPC

Is there a yellow exclamation point next to the DM entry for your
wireless adapter?

Right click on the entry and select "Propterties." At the bottom of the
General tab, does it say "Use this device (enable)"? If not, use the
drop down menu to enable it.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

John Callaway 03-28-2009 05:49 PM

Re: Enabled but not connected

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 11:53:28 -0400, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

Lem,
No yellow in any DM's. Ralink wireless Lan V2 card is enabled
& working properly according to the general tab in the properties
window. There are 2 red X's next to the wireless network connection
icon & Ralink wireless lan card v2 icon respectively , in the tool
tray.
JPC