Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: A Fax program wanted (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t676867-re-a-fax-program-wanted.html)

Woger 03-23-2009 10:19 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:38:44 +1300, "B Roberts" <roberts@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>I have installed Vista Premium Home Edition
>
>Until now I did not realise it did not have a fax program
>
>XP and most of my previous OS had the ability to
>use fax.
>
>I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
>for the next one up
>
>Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
>
>Help would be appreciated

Are you on dialup..?

Richard 03-23-2009 11:06 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

Woger wrote:
>> I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
>> for the next one up
>>
>> Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
>>
>> Help would be appreciated

> Are you on dialup..?

Why does that matter?

I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

Dave Doe 03-23-2009 12:46 PM

Re: A Fax program wanted

In article <gq7qeo$h43$1@news.albasani.net>, rich@ihug.co.nz says...
> Woger wrote:
> >> I guess they take it out so you have to pay extra
> >> for the next one up
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a free Fax program?
> >>
> >> Help would be appreciated

> > Are you on dialup..?

> Why does that matter?
>
> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
> free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
> you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

Where do I sign up!

--
Duncan

Richard 03-23-2009 02:20 PM

Re: A Fax program wanted

Dave Doe wrote:

>> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
>> free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
>> you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

> Where do I sign up!

2talk.co.nz

EMB 03-23-2009 06:21 PM

Re: A Fax program wanted

Richard wrote:
> Dave Doe wrote:
>>>
>>> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with
>>> some free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of
>>> paying to fax you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete
>>> technologies.

>> Where do I sign up!

> 2talk.co.nz

It works bloody well too.

Dave Doe 03-28-2009 01:53 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

In article <gq85p6$12b$1@news.albasani.net>, rich@ihug.co.nz says...
> Dave Doe wrote:
> >>
> >> I use 2talks fax to email service, you get a free 028 number with some
> >> free mins each month, and the sender gets the privliage of paying to fax
> >> you on the 028 number as punishment for using obsolete technologies.

> > Where do I sign up!

> 2talk.co.nz

Cheers, I've actually got a fax machine, and a couple weeks ago I dusted
off 2mm of dust and used to send a fax. Don't think it's been used for
over five years. Good to know it still works.

--
Duncan

Dave Doe 04-01-2009 11:54 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

In article <MXFAl.66347$UQ6.19362@en-nntp-03.dc1.easynews.com>,
b.campbell@n0spam.net.nz says...

> "Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
> news:MPG.24384a341701bcc6989761@news.motzarella.or g...

> I have used http://www.faxaway.com/ for several years. They allocate you a
> USA fax number, and you pay only for outgoing faxes (e-mailed from yout PC);
> incoming are forwarded to your e-mail. (.TIFF). I still have the "outwards"
> fax machine connected to our 'phone line to scan/send the occasional fax
> where it is more convenient than sending from PC.
>
> Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
> (pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
> Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
> discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom that
> I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when they
> sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
> our number excluded. !&*^!

Cool, thanks for that info. Handy indeed to have a service that you can
use to send *out* faxes also - as that indeed might be required on rare
occasions.

--
Duncan

Bruce Sinclair 04-02-2009 12:13 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

In article <MXFAl.66347$UQ6.19362@en-nntp-03.dc1.easynews.com>, "B Campbell" <b.campbell@n0spam.net.nz> wrote:

>"Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
>news:MPG.24384a341701bcc6989761@news.motzarella.o rg...

>I have used http://www.faxaway.com/ for several years. They allocate you a
>USA fax number, and you pay only for outgoing faxes (e-mailed from yout PC);
>incoming are forwarded to your e-mail. (.TIFF). I still have the "outwards"
>fax machine connected to our 'phone line to scan/send the occasional fax
>where it is more convenient than sending from PC.
>
>Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
>(pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
>Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
>discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom that
>I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when they
>sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
>our number excluded. !&*^!

Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered to
disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)

Your Name 04-02-2009 06:46 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

In article <MXFAl.66347$UQ6.19362@en-nntp-03.dc1.easynews.com>, "B Campbell"
<b.campbell@n0spam.net.nz> wrote:

<snip>

> Similar to above, the sender gets the privilege of calling international
> (pretty cheap these days!) as penalty for using obsolescent technology.
> Actually used to have a Telecom NZ fax number, but got many spam faxes and
> discovered Telecom were selling the number list. I was told by Telecom

that
> I would have to write to Telecom every 3 months (the repeat period when

they
> sold new editions of the CDs of business fax numbers) if I wanted to have
> our number excluded. !&*^!

Just get a line with an unlisted phone number and don't tell Telescum that
you're using it for a fax machine. You don't have to "re-request" that
unlisted number at all - it stays that way until you tell them otherwise. Of
course, unlisted numbers aren't really fully secure since they are still
displayed on Caller ID phones anyway.

Your Name 04-02-2009 06:50 AM

Re: A Fax program wanted

"Bruce Sinclair" <bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz > wrote
in message news:49d3f51e$0$31433$c5fe31e7@read01.usenet4all.s e...

> Luxury ! When I told telecom a year or so ago to stop selling our phone
> number as part of lists they supply to various companies, they offered to
> disconnect my phone ! Yes, that was their complete response. :)

Sounds similar to the response I got from ihug / Vodafone. My Mac uses a
dial-up connection and it stopped authenticating the log-in (for about the
third time). After over a month of mucking me about, they finally said that
they wouldn't be fixing the problem, and to use the Internet I either had to
upgrade my computer or dial-in via a toll call to their Whangarei local
number where the authentication does still work properly. X-(