Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t676641-windows-defender-and-last-access-timestamps-issue-released-fix.html)

Poutnik 03-21-2009 06:13 AM

Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

Hi,

Windows Defender updates last access time stamps for scanned files.
It fools my software, relying on it.

I think no well written scanning program ( e.g. Avast AV ) does that,
because it is not access that counts.

There was recently published fix - An update is available
for the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine to control updates
to the last access time stamp on scanned files.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961181

MS did NOT put info down ( because of being MS ),
but references to phone customer support.

It sounds to me as if car vendor would provide all 4 wheels
only after special request and extra price.

Does anybody have this info available to avoid calling?

I have Vista Home Premium OEM only,
supposing MS would deny to support
and I doubt my PC building private vendor have this info available.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik 03-21-2009 06:26 AM

Re: Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

Poutnik's previous post was like this :

> Hi,
>
> Windows Defender updates last access time stamps for scanned files.
> It fools my software, relying on it.
>

> There was recently published fix - An update is available
> for the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine to control updates
> to the last access time stamp on scanned files.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961181

Well, as workaround I can turn off scheduled scans,
leaving real time protection only.

But why not to use final solution if exists ?
--
Poutnik

I love Carrots 03-22-2009 07:46 PM

Re: Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

Curious as I have never seen any issues with Windows Defender. I have used
the other tools in the KB article.

Sounds like your real-time clock is unstable. That could lead to problems.

--
http://contract-developer.dyndns.biz

Poutnik 03-23-2009 05:54 AM

Re: Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

I love Carrots's previous post was like this :

> Curious as I have never seen any issues with Windows Defender. I have used
> the other tools in the KB article.
>
> Sounds like your real-time clock is unstable. That could lead to problems.

Hi,

I do not get much your reply.

My clock is stable, synchronized with multiple NTP time servers,
with variance very rarely more than 1 second.
( this if turned down before )

I have noticed some months ago, that WD has scheduled scan to 1:30 AM.

If PS is ON ( P2P sharing ), then almost all EXE files have set
LastAccess timestamp set to 1:30 AM and more.

MS itself says in mentioned KB it IS a bug of WD.
It is said to be fixed from some mentioned version,
but default behavior is set like before.

Who wants to set it to not to update LA timestamps,
is expected to call MS.

What other tools from the KB article do you use ?
I can be blind, but I did not seen there any.

--
Poutnik
The best choice is such a choice,

Poutnik 03-23-2009 06:00 AM

Re: Microsoft Malware Protection Engine ( was Windows Defender) and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

I love Carrots's previous post was like this :

> Curious as I have never seen any issues with Windows Defender. I have used
> the other tools in the KB article.
>
> Sounds like your real-time clock is unstable. That could lead to problems.

Hm, I have thought that Microsoft Malware Protection Engine
is a part of Windows Defender, sorry for confusing.

Poutnik 03-23-2009 06:22 AM

Re: Microsoft Malware Protection Engine, Windows Defender and Last Access timestamps issue released fix

Poutnik's previous post was like this :

> I love Carrots's previous post was like this :
> >
> > Curious as I have never seen any issues with Windows Defender. I have used
> > the other tools in the KB article.
> >
> > Sounds like your real-time clock is unstable. That could lead to problems.

> Hm, I have thought that Microsoft Malware Protection Engine
> is a part of Windows Defender, sorry for confusing.
>
> --

Well, it seems that I was right at least in the fact
that WD uses Microsoft Malware Protection Engine .

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-010.mspx

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-010
Vulnerability in Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Could Allow Remote
Code Execution (932135)

Affected Software:
Windows Live OneCare
Microsoft Antigen for Exchange 9.x
Microsoft Antigen for SMTP Gateway 9.x
Microsoft Windows Defender
Microsoft Windows Defender x64 Edition
Microsoft Windows Defender in Windows Vista
Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server
Microsoft Forefront Security for SharePoint

Affected Components: