Velocity Reviews

-   -   why don't you move on to something? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t676350-why-dont-you-move-on-to-something.html)

monstabeens@googlemail.com 03-19-2009 11:43 AM

why don't you move on to something?

hi,
i'm assuming that most people here use c
but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
are there any good reasons to stick with c?

Martin Ambuhl 03-19-2009 12:30 PM

Re: why don't you move on to something?

monstabeens@googlemail.com wrote:
> hi,
> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

No.
I you change to a different language, you can try trolling in newsgroups
for that language instead of here.

nick_keighley_nospam@hotmail.com 03-19-2009 12:48 PM

On 19 Mar, 11:43, monstabe...@googlemail.com wrote:

> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,

why? This is a serious question, how you answer it affects the answer.

If you just want to learn another language, why C++? Why not choose
one
with a different paradigm? You could look at Python, ML or smalltalk.

Or do you want to learn OO? You might be better off learning OOD
(Design)
rather than OOP (Programming).

> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

small, portable, close to the machine. The usual advice these
days is to learn a "soft" language (interpreted?) like Ruby
or Python. They are, allegedly, more productive.

--
The world you perceive is drastically simplified model of the real
world

Ben Bacarisse 03-19-2009 01:38 PM

monstabeens@googlemail.com writes:

> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

There are always some reasons to stick with what you know, simply
because you know it, but learning is always good (if you have time).
Try to write at least one program in a new language every year. That
way, in a few years time, you will be better placed to answer this
sort of question for yourself.

--
Ben.

jfbode1029@gmail.com 03-19-2009 02:28 PM

Re: why don't you move on to something?

I'm assuming this question is being asked in good faith, and isn't
simply flamebait.

On Mar 19, 6:43*am, monstabe...@googlemail.com wrote:
> hi,
> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

There are good reasons to stick with C. There are also good reasons
to use C++, or Objective-C, or Fortran, or Haskell (Java I'm not so
sure about; the more I play with it, the less impressed I am).

No one language is universally better at everything than every other
language. There are application domains where C is still the best
answer; there are application domains where anything *but* C is the
best answer.

Sjouke Burry 03-20-2009 02:05 AM

Re: why don't you move on to something?

monstabeens@googlemail.com wrote:
> hi,
> i'm assuming that most people here use c
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
> are there any good reasons to stick with c?

Is there any reason for trolling in a C group?
Or for cursing loudly in a church??

lawrence.jones@siemens.com 03-20-2009 03:38 PM

blargg <blargg.ei3@gishpuppy.com> wrote:

> i'm assuming most people here use english
> but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably esperanto,
> are there any good reasons to stick with english?

Onay, utbay Igpay Atinlay ishay ahay uchmay etterbay oicechay.
--
Larry Jones

It works on the same principle as electroshock therapy. -- Calvin

Richard Bos 03-21-2009 10:25 AM

lawrence.jones@siemens.com wrote:

> blargg <blargg.ei3@gishpuppy.com> wrote:
> >
> > i'm assuming most people here use english
> > but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably esperanto,
> > are there any good reasons to stick with english?

> Onay, utbay Igpay Atinlay ishay ahay uchmay etterbay oicechay.

I move that the next Standard be published in that language.

Richard

JosephKK 03-22-2009 02:10 AM

Re: why don't you move on to something?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:43:53 -0700 (PDT), monstabeens@googlemail.com
wrote:

>hi,
>i'm assuming that most people here use c
>but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
>are there any good reasons to stick with c?

Perhaps a better question is "what to move on to?", justify your
choice(s). Besides, most programmers i know use more than one
programming language. Know your tools and how to apply them.
.

Barry Schwarz 03-22-2009 05:58 PM

Re: why don't you move on to something?

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:10:58 -0700,
"JosephKK"<quiettechblue@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:43:53 -0700 (PDT), monstabeens@googlemail.com
>wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>i'm assuming that most people here use c
>>but i've been thinking about moving on to something else probably c++,
>>are there any good reasons to stick with c?

>Perhaps a better question is "what to move on to?", justify your
>choice(s).

But not here. There is already too much garbage in this newsgroup.

--
Remove del for email