Velocity Reviews

-   -   Memory slot gone AWOL (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675820-memory-slot-gone-awol.html)

Lodi 03-16-2009 09:10 AM

Memory slot gone AWOL

Hi all...I have two memory slots on my mobo (XP-K7VM333) and the second one
has gone missing. It previously happened a few weeks ago but it came back
when I cleared the CMOS (bridging the jumpers as per the manual).

This time bridging the jumpers didn't work, pulling the CMOS battery didn't
work, even re-flashing the BIOS didn't work.

At the BIOS boot-up screen the BIOS mistakenly labels slots 0 and 1 (the
only slots I have) as slots 2 and 3. No sign of slots 0 and 1

Also both slots have a stick of ram in them (both sticks are fine as I've
tested them elsewhere) but the output of "sudo lshw -C memory" shows my
second slot (the missing slot) to be occupied and my first slot (the
working slot) to be empty. Very screwed up.

Here's the relevant output of "sudo lshw -C memory"....

*-memory
physical id: 18
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 512MiB
capacity: 512MiB
*-bank:0
physical id: 0
slot: A0
width: 64 bits
clock: 333MHz (3.0ns)
*-bank:1
physical id: 1
slot: A1
size: 512MiB
width: 64 bits
clock: 333MHz (3.0ns)

The only recent change to this mobo was my fitting a replacement (second
hand) PSU as the original one was needed elsewhere.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips or tricks welcome.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 03-16-2009 09:12 AM

Re: Sorry folks...screwed up

Sorry rugby people.....I hit the "Screw up and make a fool of yourself"
button instead of the "post to newsgroup" button.

I blame the elves.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 03-16-2009 09:15 AM

Re: Sorry folks...screwed up

And sorry computer people....I hit the "screw up totally and cross-post to
every subscribed group" button.

You've gotta love the flexibility of KDE :-)

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 03-16-2009 10:16 AM

Re: Memory slot gone AWOL

>On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:19:54 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> Change the battery first, and then get a real operating system that
> doesn't require you to type in cryptic **** to get a simple memory
> report. And a completely uninformative one at that.

Howdy Bobs...The battery is a standard CR2032. I've just pulled it and
tested it. It's giving 3.12v (nominal 3.0v) so I'm guessing it's okay.

As for the super cool operating system.....you want cryptic?

This afternoon it took me the best part of an hour to get my computer to
recognise and read a floppy disk.

Automatic floppy disk support (post-installation) was taken out at the
previous version of Ubuntu. Nobody told me. So off to google.

Eventually I worked out that because this was the first time Ubuntu had
used the floppy disk drive to read a floppy disk I simply needed to
modprobe my floppy and root edit my /etc/modules, mkdir a /floppy in my /
media, grep for a fd0 in my lshw to root edit my /etc/fstab, then a sudo
mount -a.....just to read a floppy disk.

It almost made me nostalgic for XP

Regards
Lodi

Nigel Evans 03-16-2009 11:37 AM

Re: Memory slot gone AWOL

"Lodi" <lodi@ccr.com> wrote in message

> The only recent change to this mobo was my fitting a replacement (second
> hand) PSU as the original one was needed elsewhere.
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions, tips or tricks welcome.

Have you considered sheep farming as an alternative ?

Chris Parslow 03-16-2009 08:12 PM

Re: Memory slot gone AWOL

Lodi wrote:

> Hi all...I have two memory slots on my mobo (XP-K7VM333) and the second one
> has gone missing.

Had an Australian house guest, by any chance?

CP

Lodi 03-17-2009 12:15 AM

Re: Memory slot gone AWOL (SOLVED)

> Lodi wrote:
>
>> Hi all...I have two memory slots on my mobo (XP-K7VM333) and the second
>> one has gone missing.

Compressed air and moderate degrees of violence seem to have done the
trick.

Guess it's an indication that the mobo is on its way out. Five-ish years
of 24/7-ish use from a $150 board. Can't complain.

Regards
Lodi

Dave Doe 03-17-2009 12:33 AM

Re: Memory slot gone AWOL

In article <gpl51v$sod$1@news.motzarella.org>, lodi@ccr.com says...
> Hi all...I have two memory slots on my mobo (XP-K7VM333) and the second one
> has gone missing. It previously happened a few weeks ago but it came back
> when I cleared the CMOS (bridging the jumpers as per the manual).
>
> This time bridging the jumpers didn't work, pulling the CMOS battery didn't
> work, even re-flashing the BIOS didn't work.
>
> At the BIOS boot-up screen the BIOS mistakenly labels slots 0 and 1 (the
> only slots I have) as slots 2 and 3. No sign of slots 0 and 1
>
> Also both slots have a stick of ram in them (both sticks are fine as I've
> tested them elsewhere) but the output of "sudo lshw -C memory" shows my
> second slot (the missing slot) to be occupied and my first slot (the
> working slot) to be empty. Very screwed up.
>
> Here's the relevant output of "sudo lshw -C memory"....

<snip>

Pretty old mobo now mate. Check the cap (capacitors), do they look
"bloated" on top? - got any "material" building up on the tops of them?

If so, definately time for a new mobo.

--
Duncan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-17-2009 12:58 AM

In message <gpmq25$7eu$1@news.motzarella.org>, Lodi wrote:

>> In message <gpl51v$sod$1@news.motzarella.org>, Lodi wrote:
>>
>>> *-bank:0

So basically it can see the slot, just not what's in it.

> Compressed air and moderate degrees of violence seem to have done the
> trick.
>
> Guess it's an indication that the mobo is on its way out. Five-ish years
> of 24/7-ish use from a $150 board. Can't complain.

Maybe it was just dust in the slot affecting contact with the pins?

Gib Bogle 03-17-2009 04:12 AM

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> So basically it can see the slot, just not what's in it.
>
>> Compressed air and moderate degrees of violence seem to have done the
>> trick.
>>
>> Guess it's an indication that the mobo is on its way out. Five-ish years
>> of 24/7-ish use from a $150 board. Can't complain.

> Maybe it was just dust in the slot affecting contact with the pins?

Some attention with a rubber might be called for.