Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675795-re-is-a-laptop-good-enough-for-all-day-long-work.html)

DevilsPGD 03-16-2009 05:33 AM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
In message <POudnS4ahf_aQiDUnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@giganews.com> "Bruno HRUST"
<bruno-hrust@hotmail.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and have a lot of work
>to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three months and then
>in for a little while then out again and so on. I take my work load with me,
>wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it seems that my
>laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and hard drive than my desktop,
>cannot cope and is very often down (I have an other laptop of similar
>specifications as a spare one for the very reason to be able to continue
>working until this, that I like, is fixed).


Define: "Down" -- What do you mean your laptop is "very often down"?

>Now is OK, but needs defragging
>all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the computer.


What makes you think it needs defragging? What sort of activity are you
performing that causes fragmentation?

>I am
>considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think that a laptop (of
>whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there fundamentally
>wrong with my laptop and could be rectified? Please help.


There isn't any real fundamental difference between a desktop or laptop
beyond form factor, although laptops tend to prefer power savings over
performance.

One consideration is that laptop drives tend to be slower, 5400rpm or
less is typical whereas a desktop will normally have a 7200rpm drive and
faster is available.

thanatoid 03-16-2009 06:39 AM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
"Bruno HRUST" <bruno-hrust@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:XOydnZwWmeMjcSDUnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@giganews.com :

>
> "DevilsPGD" <DeathToSpam@crazyhat.net> wrote in message
> news:rvorr41q8d2i5knlu83n55qic6jc35m6n0@4ax.com...
>> In message <POudnS4ahf_aQiDUnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@giganews.com>
>> "Bruno HRUST" <bruno-hrust@hotmail.com> was claimed to
>> have wrote:
>>
>>>I am seldom in my apartment (where I have my desktop) and
>>>have a lot of work
>>>to do when out of my apartment; usually I am out for three
>>>months and then in for a little while then out again and
>>>so on. I take my work load with me,
>>>wherever I go, on portable storage, my laptop etc. Now, it
>>>seems that my laptop, even though faster, bigger RAM and
>>>hard drive than my desktop, cannot cope and is very often
>>>down (I have an other laptop of similar specifications as
>>>a spare one for the very reason to be able to continue
>>>working until this, that I like, is fixed).


I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D partition
with "restore files (including the all-important AOL
subscription offer and other advertisements).

Make a backup of what matters.

Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions, as many
as you can fit. There can be up to 27 partitions without going
into 3 other possible primary partitions of 27 more each. which
could get a little hairy even for me, and I LOVE partitions.

Install ONLY the OS and the program files on C:. NOTHING ELSE.
Preferably NOT from the customized and branded OS **** that came
with the laptop. You can get the laptop-specific drivers which
you will need from the maker's site first.

Designate your other partitions for the different types of stuff
you do.

>> Define: "Down" -- What do you mean your laptop is "very
>> often down"?
>>

> It slows gradually until it collapses altogether; then must
> be fixed in the shop. Usually when I come back to my
> apartment, just after few days the trouble starts; nobody
> is there willing to fix it and I do it when I am "out of
> range", and when it gradually comes to a halt, then I fix
> it.


I AM right about the partition, aren't I? That, lack of regular
cleaning, and possibly a lousy anti virus program are the root
of your problem.

>I suspect a foul play, which I cannot prove ... you can
> immagine.


Actually I can't. Why would you suspect foul play? You don't let
OTHER PEOPLE touch your computer or leave it unattended do you?
If yes, DON't, and PUT A BIOS PASSWORD on it. That will stop
most people.

>>>Now is OK, but needs defragging
>>>all the time, that takes a lot of time and slows the
>>>computer.


Because you have a huge ass partition and Windows is very badly
designed., Some OS's never have to be partitioned IIRC.

>> What makes you think it needs defragging? What sort of
>> activity are you performing that causes fragmentation?


ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you do causes fragmentation. JEEZ.

> A computer person has told me that he never defragments his
> computer


He has it so well maintained and it is so fast that no
noticeable benefits come from doing it - he's a pro. Defragging
does not make your computer faster anymore - it used to years
ago, when they were slow. Now they are so fast it doesn't
matter. It's still a good thing to do depending on how anal-
retentive you are about keeping your equipment "clean".

>maybe being on newsgroups too often gives it too
> much to work. I have "TREND Micro" installed and it always
> finds bunch of cookies there that it does not like: why it
> lets them in then? Yes, Trojans like to come onto my
> wallow.


Go to www.purplus.com and get ESET32 Anti Virus. It's half price
there.
Get Spybot Search and Destroy, free. Get Acronis True Image and
image your C partition once it's working the way it should.
Update after major changes.

>>>I am
>>>considering to buy an ordinary desktop PC, because I think
>>>that a laptop (of
>>>whatever capacity) is no match to desktop PC. Or is there
>>>fundamentally wrong with my laptop and could be rectified?
>>>Please help.


I would rather die than have to **** around with a laptop
keyboard, plus I don't like things that cost hundreds of dollars
to fix and tell to get dropped. But that's me. A good laptop can
easily outperform an average or even a good desktop machine.

<SNIP>

>> One consideration is that laptop drives tend to be slower,
>> 5400rpm or less is typical whereas a desktop will normally
>> have a 7200rpm drive and faster is available.


I don't think there is really THAT much practical difference -
most of work you do is in memory anyway, and we are talking
about fractions of seconds.

> This last explains many things: slow downloads cause many
> breakages and thus fragments in files and paths. Now, it is
> better to work on a fast PC and have a laptop as emergency
> equipment while travelling between places.


> I think I should by a PC and an expert advice about

specifications would be
> greatly appreciated.


You SAID you NEED to have a laptop, so what are you talking
about?


--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

thanatoid 03-16-2009 07:27 AM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in
news:Xns9BD06C483852thanexit@209.197.15.184:

> I would rather die than have to **** around with a laptop
> keyboard, plus I don't like things that cost hundreds of
> dollars to fix and tell


TEND, damn it.

> to get dropped. But that's me. A
> good laptop can easily outperform an average or even a good
> desktop machine.



--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Gordon 03-16-2009 08:08 AM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
thanatoid wrote:

> I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D partition
> with "restore files (including the all-important AOL
> subscription offer and other advertisements).
>
> Make a backup of what matters.
>
> Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions,


Did you REALLY mean 5GB? That's not big enough even for XP.....


--
Registered Linux User no 240308
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
to email me remove the obvious!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-16-2009 06:19 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
richard wrote:

> Wasn't Celeron ditched when the pentium came out?


A Celeron is a version of the standard (whatever is standard at the
time) Intel chip with parts of it purposely disabled. Strangled.
Throttled. Pinned out. "Budget."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aceleron

Remember the old 386DX and 386SX?

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows

thanatoid 03-16-2009 06:52 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote in
news:726fo1Fo7amgU1@mid.individual.net:

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D
>> partition with "restore files (including the all-important
>> AOL subscription offer and other advertisements).
>>
>> Make a backup of what matters.
>>
>> Format and partition the drive into 2-5 GB partitions,

>
> Did you REALLY mean 5GB? That's not big enough even for
> XP.....


Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and
put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed
on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to
98SE Lite.


--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

thanatoid 03-16-2009 07:07 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
"Bruno HRUST" <bruno-hrust@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:S9OdnakhVvofjiPUnZ2dnUVZ_hSWnZ2d@giganews.com :

<SNIP>

>> I bet you have a huge ass C partition and maybe a D
>> partition with "restore files (including the all-important
>> AOL subscription offer and other advertisements).

>
> You are correct, because I have told to technician that I
> would like C:\ big, whereas before was 10GB; now 40GB. The
> reason I wanted that is because I reckoned that OS can
> perform better in more available space


It is not the size of partition, it is that EVERYTHING ELSE gets
dumped into it as well since you don't have another one. 5GB for
XP is plenty, designate the other 5 GB partitions for other
stuff.

A 1 GB partition WOULD be too small for XP, but not for 9x. Etc.

> the technician
> insisted that 10GB (as came originally with the laptop) is
> enough. I see that I made mistake, as usual.


Don't feel bad. Nobody knows what's going on with these damn
things.

> I mean, I have two homes, and here I am more than in my
> apartment; so, I thought I would equip myself with a really
> good machine here. My partner has her own PC, which I do
> not want to use because has a language that I do not
> understand; I could use it in emergency, I guess, as I was
> using it before when I needed it, but I would like to have
> my own one.


I have some experience with "other language" keyboards and
computers. What a ****ing nightmare.

> I would like if I would be able to get some
> sound advice about my future machine.


You don't need one. I bet your laptop is under 5 yrs old.

> I have a Chinese
> friend, who is technician, but very limited in English.


I have run across that problem. But there are MANY technicians
only to happy to tell you what you want to hear for $25/hr.

> He
> prefers AMD (he told me that my laptop, which is Celeron,
> is good, but I know that the type of my work requires a
> better than that)


Why? I bet you could do most of what you do on a 10 year old
machine, AND faster.

> and I would like to know the real
> difference between AMD, Celeron or Intel.


Practically, none. YES there are differences but they don't
matter to a normal person.

> I would like a
> machine that would take me into the future; because I get
> too attached to things or people that I know.


I understand. Stick to your machine which I assume you ARE
attached to.

Another thing you might consider is a USB stick, an 8GB one can
now be had for a ridiculous price and will probably hold all the
data should you need to use another machine. Bring an English
keyboard when you do.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

G. Morgan 03-16-2009 07:18 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>Remember the old 386DX and 386SX?


I remember the 486SX & DX lines. One of them (sx I think) had the math
co-processor disabled.

--
"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5

**Important Update**
Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Arti...entid=13298291

Gordon 03-16-2009 07:59 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
thanatoid wrote:

> Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and
> put all the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed
> on a 2 or 3 GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to
> 98SE Lite.


Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is 4.12 GB. Add to
that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't fit XP in 5GB. You need a
fair bit of unused space to use for temp files in installing apps.I
would NOT run XP in 5GB

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
to email me remove the obvious!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-16-2009 08:54 PM

Re: Is a laptop good enough for all-day-long work?
 
Gordon wrote:

> thanatoid wrote:
>> Of course it is. You just have to keep your machine clean and put all
>> the OTHER stuff on other partitions. I had XP installed on a 2 or 3
>> GB partition, I can't remember. I upgraded back to 98SE Lite.

>
> Err no it's not. My XP SP3 WINDOWS folder on it's own is 4.12 GB. Add
> to that a decent sized Pagefile and you won't fit XP in 5GB. You need
> a fair bit of unused space to use for temp files in installing apps.I
> would NOT run XP in 5GB


...and don't forget every time you install new applications, even if you
put their programs on, say, D:\, you get a mess of new stuff added to
the registry. It just grows and grows... and can't live anywhere else.

For XP, I'd say minimum 10GB for the OS directory, for the average user.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Windows


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.