Velocity Reviews

-   -   Storing 200-300 DVDs? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675749-storing-200-300-dvds.html)

(PeteCresswell) 03-15-2009 09:09 PM

Storing 200-300 DVDs?

Mine are all ripped to a media server and that's where we watch
them from.

Right now they're taking up a bunch of shelves in a bookcase.

Seems like a waste of space bc they're hardly ever accessed -
being on the server.

My first thought was that there's gotta be loose-leaf binder
pages made to hold a couple of discs.

Trash the containers they came in, just fill up a few 3"
loose-leaf notebook binders and stash them in a drawer or
something.

Anybody got a storage method they like?
--
PeteCresswell

AnimalMagic 03-15-2009 10:31 PM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:09:58 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
wrote:

>Mine are all ripped to a media server and that's where we watch
>them from.
>
>Right now they're taking up a bunch of shelves in a bookcase.
>
>Seems like a waste of space bc they're hardly ever accessed -
>being on the server.
>
>My first thought was that there's gotta be loose-leaf binder
>pages made to hold a couple of discs.
>
>Trash the containers they came in, just fill up a few 3"
>loose-leaf notebook binders and stash them in a drawer or
>something.
>
>Anybody got a storage method they like?

You could also build nice, Walnut vertical cabinets that would hold
like 1000 titles each, once the cases are pitched, like you say.

Notebook binders sound pretty lame. Like stamp collecting.

I wonder how many Titles Per Terabyte I could get laid down on a nard
drive. I already pump my 46" with my PC, so full bore media server would
not be far off that, and I would stop burning through optical disc
readers, which have gotten pretty lame on longevity of late.

(PeteCresswell) 03-16-2009 01:19 AM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

Per AnimalMagic:
> I wonder how many Titles Per Terabyte I could get laid down on a nard
>drive. I already pump my 46" with my PC, so full bore media server would
>not be far off that, and I would stop burning through optical disc
>readers, which have gotten pretty lame on longevity of late.

I've got just under 150 on my server right now.

For most of them I ripped only MainMovie, but did it with
compression turned off.

Godfather I MainMovie is about 8 gigs. Most of the others are
less, but they're almost all at least a little over 4.

The "Movie" drive is 1 terabyte and has about 135 gigs free as I
write this.

I ordered a copy of Windows Home Server last week. When it
arrives, the plan is to rebuild the server and combine the two
1-T drives with a third new 1-T drive into a single pool for both
DVDs and OTA recordings.

I use VLC Media Player to watch the .ISOs on my little
Atom-powered laptop and SageTV HD200 "Media Extenders" to watch
them on TV sets.

Tried Microsoft Media Center, something called "MythTV", and
something called "BeyondTV" - but found fault with each. I'm
pretty much a happy camper with SageTV.

I wish I had known about SageTV before I blew $300+ on a digital
DVD/VHS recorder to replace the wife's analog version.

--
PeteCresswell

Bozo9 03-31-2009 08:34 PM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

1- I got rid of all the cases, gave them to people who care.
2- I stored all my originals in a briefcase-style 8"x20"x18" aluminium case
(up to 600 DVDs)
3- I have a 1.5T drive, on which 257 movies occupy 85%. It is mirrored
monthly to another 1.5T drive. I also have a separate 1T drive (also
mirrored) for series.

Works for me.

When drive prices drop enough, I'll rotate my mirror drives with another set
off-site.

JeffryMakesSense 04-05-2009 08:27 PM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

Well he's organized.

(PeteCresswell) 04-07-2009 08:24 PM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

Per (PeteCresswell):
>I ordered a copy of Windows Home Server last week. When it
>arrives, the plan is to rebuild the server and combine the two
>1-T drives with a third new 1-T drive into a single pool for

FWIW, been running it since a day after that post and, as
somebody else said, "Microsoft hit the ball out of the park with
Windows Home Server."
--
PeteCresswell

UpGrade 04-08-2009 12:54 AM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:24:18 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
wrote:

>Per (PeteCresswell):
>>I ordered a copy of Windows Home Server last week. When it
>>arrives, the plan is to rebuild the server and combine the two
>>1-T drives with a third new 1-T drive into a single pool for

>FWIW, been running it since a day after that post and, as
>somebody else said, "Microsoft hit the ball out of the park with
>Windows Home Server."

Now all we need is for Sony to make a 300 plus disc juke box that reads
BluRay.

(PeteCresswell) 04-08-2009 11:23 PM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

Per UpGrade:
> Now all we need is for Sony to make a 300 plus disc juke box that reads
>BluRay.

I wonder if the juke box concept is already obsolete even for
BluRay.

I had a juke box for my CDs years ago. Didn't have in long
before that collection and much more fit on an iPod.

Just finished ripping my couple-hundred video DVD collection to a
few t-byte drives.

Dunno what the turnaround time is on drive size, but can 100-T
drives be that far away?
--
PeteCresswell

Archimedes' Lever 04-09-2009 12:56 AM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 19:23:37 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.Invalid>
wrote:

>Per UpGrade:
>> Now all we need is for Sony to make a 300 plus disc juke box that reads
>>BluRay.

>I wonder if the juke box concept is already obsolete even for
>BluRay.

Both Pioneer and Sony have had them for years, and folks buy even their
most recent models.

I now where you are headed though, and though we can put movies on the
HD media server now, we still do not have BD quality in video, and when
the dopes get that, they will still NOT get the audio streams BD has.

So media servers are now, and will be for a long time, a poorer quality
solution than the actual BD release. It will likely be that way for a
while too, since the data rate required for BD is higher than the stream
that a PC can provide continuously without interruption.

>I had a juke box for my CDs years ago. Didn't have in long
>before that collection and much more fit on an iPod.

iPuds are lame. Besides, I am talking about video not audio.

>Just finished ripping my couple-hundred video DVD collection to a
>few t-byte drives.

If they are just DVDs, you could likely have converted them to a much
smaller per disc file size, and not even noticed the difference.

>Dunno what the turnaround time is on drive size, but can 100-T
>drives be that far away?

At least a decade away. SAS will become hot swappable drive arrays,
and folks will simply add another 1 or 2 TB drive to their stack. That
will last for a while.

Father Guido Sarducci 04-09-2009 11:34 AM

Re: Storing 200-300 DVDs?

In **** quality.