Velocity Reviews

-   -   Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675727-use-of-ie-and-mozilla-firebox.html)

Chaudhry.Nijjhar 03-15-2009 06:02 PM

Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

Hi,

Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
time and not both together?

May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
server cutting it off.

Rajinder

G. Morgan 03-15-2009 06:17 PM

Re: Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

>Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
>time and not both together?

Yes, of course. You can also use them both at the same time if you wish.

>May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
>server cutting it off.

I don't know why you had such a hard time with the other FTP programs you were
trying.

You do know that by default most FTP servers will boot you off after a certain
amount of in-activity, right? To counter this, most FTP client programs have
a "keep alive" setting.
--
"Newspaper claims car thief transformed into a goat"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/...d_goat_thief_5

**Important Update**
Magic goat detained for armed robbery:
http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/Arti...entid=13298291

Evan Platt 03-15-2009 06:37 PM

Re: Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:02:13 -0000, "Chaudhry.Nijjhar"
<chaudhry.nijjhar@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
>time and not both together?
>
>May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
>server cutting it off.

How many times do you intend to ask the same question?

why? 03-15-2009 07:23 PM

Re: Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:02:13 -0000, Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

For an MSc you are running short on smarts.

You have already asked this question today in the original thread

From: "Chaudhry.Nijjhar" <chaudhry.nijjhar@ntlworld.com>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Free FTP for retired lecturer.

and started a new thread 6 minutes later. I would hate to see the index
for any book / paper you have written.

>Hi,
>
>Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at a
>time and not both together?

Yes. You can use one at a time or both at the same time.

On ocassions I have had IE, SeaMonkey, Opera and other browsers all
running at the same time.

>May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
>server cutting it off.

ARGH!!! Read your other replies, even those you already commented on.
Stop asking the same question.

Get a proper FTP program, as already recommended,
http://filezilla-project.org/

It will work with both the
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rajinde...ar/sikhism.htm
http://www.nijjhar.freeserve.co.uk/sikhism.htm
sites, although the freeserve hasn't been updated since 2007.

If you are getting the permissions denied FTP error on the ntlworld
uploads like lots of NTL people you have to contact VM support.

>Rajinder

Me

walter 03-15-2009 08:00 PM

G. Morgan wrote:

> Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
>
>> Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use
>> one at a time and not both together?

> Yes, of course. You can also use them both at the same time if you
> wish.

While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over your
whole browsing "experience" by default. :-)

And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
your desktop.

[That was some sneaky **** if ya ask me] :-)

G. Morgan 03-15-2009 08:32 PM

walter wrote:

>While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
>Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over your
>whole browsing "experience" by default. :-)
>
>And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
>your desktop.
>
>[That was some sneaky **** if ya ask me] :-)

I've not seen that behavior at all. Can you elaborate on how that happened to
you?

chuckcar 03-16-2009 12:15 AM

Re: Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

"Chaudhry.Nijjhar" <chaudhry.nijjhar@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one at
> a time and not both together?
>
> May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then the
> server cutting it off.

If you want to use ftp and you're not proficient in how/why it works (as
you most certainly are), just use a command prompt. At a "dos" prompt you
type:

ftp <DNS>

Where <DNS> is the name server of the ftp site such as ftp.wustl.edu.
at which point the server will come back with

login:

it is considered acceptable ftp etiquette to type "anonymous" at this
point. then you will get

password:

here you type your email address - you will *not* get junk mail from this.
One of the few places on the net you can guarantee it.

then you will get a prompt. Most likely something like

ftp>

the word "help" lists available commands, bye logs you out.

The most important thing about this is that it *will* give you *any* error
message or when you're logged out as well as why you can't log in (just
not allowed or too many people etc) along with pretty well everything else
you *don't* see with a web browser.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt 03-16-2009 12:33 AM

Re: Use of IE and Mozilla Firebox

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:15:31 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <chuck@nil.car>
wrote:

>If you want to use ftp and you're not proficient in how/why it works (as
>you most certainly are), just use a command prompt. At a "dos" prompt you
>type:
>
>ftp <DNS>
>
>Where <DNS> is the name server of the ftp site such as ftp.wustl.edu.
>at which point the server will come back with

Uhhh... So why would you type the NAME SERVER of the ftp site you wish
to access?

Do you have ANY IDEA what you just said?

>login:
>
>it is considered acceptable ftp etiquette to type "anonymous" at this
>point. then you will get
>
>password:
>
>here you type your email address - you will *not* get junk mail from this.
>One of the few places on the net you can guarantee it.

OMG.. Cluelessness at its best.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-16-2009 12:41 AM

Evan Platt wrote:

> "Chaudhry.Nijjhar" wrote:
>> Could I have both the IE and Mozilla on the same computer but use one
>> at a time and not both together?
>>
>> May be I will use IE for FTP Programme as it get connected and then
>> the server cutting it off.

> How many times do you intend to ask the same question?

Are you sure the previous question was about *Firebox*? ;-)

--
-bts

wisdomkiller & pain 03-16-2009 07:00 AM

walter wrote:

> While that is true, I'd suggest reading VERY carefully while installing
> Firefox for the *first* time unless you don't care that it'll take over
> your whole browsing "experience" by default. :-)
>
> And I mean right down to launching itself even if you click the IE icon on
> your desktop.
>
> [That was some sneaky **** if ya ask me] :-)

Crazy. The "original" IE icon (that one that isn't a merely a link, but
opens IE properties upon right-click) should never do so.
You may have to set desktop preferences to get it to show up, together with
the "my computer", "my files" and "network places" symbols.