Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: A philosopher's final answer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675558-re-a-philosophers-final-answer.html)

thanatoid 03-14-2009 02:03 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
news:T-6dnXrSkfNkcyfUnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d@ntd.net:

> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora
> 10 on my main machine.
>
> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100%
> hardware support... I decided to push the limits and try to
> run Publisher (the one application I really need to run
> nativly in Windows)

I /have/ to ask... WHY do you NEED to use that piece of crap?
Convert the files (one would have a faint hope that even
Publisher allows something like that, at worst, use a 3rd party
to convert to pdf and "unpack" and work with those) and use
another better free program!

> here is the error message
>
> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
>
> Pretty much sums up what the philosophers have been
> seeking... viz: the meaning of life,
> the meaning of the universe...
> and existence in general.
>
> A good summation of my life,
> computers
> and the 21st century

Agreed. Beautiful.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

thanatoid 03-14-2009 02:07 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in

> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora
>> 10 on my main machine.
>>
>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100%
>> hardware support... I decided to push the limits and try
>> to run Publisher (the one application I really need to run
>> nativly in Windows)

> I /have/ to ask... WHY do you NEED to use that piece of
> crap? Convert the files (one would have a faint hope that
> even Publisher allows something like that, at worst, use a
> 3rd party to convert to pdf and "unpack" and work with
> those) and use another better free program!

And there are quite a few apps that will make a PDF out of
anything produced with anything regardless of /that/ program's
ability to generate PDF code.