Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: A philosopher's final answer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675549-re-a-philosophers-final-answer.html)

chuckcar 03-14-2009 12:24 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
news:T-6dnXrSkfNkcyfUnZ2dnUVZ_vninZ2d@ntd.net:

> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
> machine.
>
> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
>
> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
> document I created last year...
>
> here is the error message
>
> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg

Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to switch
over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see another
message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would be worth
looking at.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Moog 03-14-2009 12:33 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>
>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
>> machine.
>>
>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
>> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
>> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
>>
>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
>> document I created last year...
>>
>> here is the error message
>>
>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
>>

> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to switch
> over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see another
> message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would be worth
> looking at.

He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.

looking at /var/log will be pointless.`

--
So this bloke says to me, "Can I come in your house and talk about your
carpets?" I thought "That's all I need, a Je-hoover's witness".

chuckcar 03-14-2009 06:25 PM

Moog <efcmoog@gmail.com> wrote in news:720ca6Fn3ppgU1@mid.individual.net:

> chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
>>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my
>>> main machine.
>>>
>>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware
>>> support... I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the
>>> one application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
>>>
>>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
>>> document I created last year...
>>>
>>> here is the error message
>>>
>>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
>>>

>> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
>> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see
>> another message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would
>> be worth looking at.

> He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.

Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt 03-14-2009 07:21 PM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:25:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <chuck@nil.car>
wrote:

>Don't comment on what you don't know.

Advice you should follow.

G. Morgan 03-14-2009 07:41 PM

chuckcar wrote:

>Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows.

No it's not stoopid. If anything it's a Windows emulator for Linux. But by
it's very name "Wine Is Not an Emulator"... duh.

>Fedora is a linux
>distribution.

> Don't comment on what you don't know.

You really need to follow that advice yourself, chucktard.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 03-14-2009 08:12 PM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

chuckcar <chuck@nil.car> wrote:

>Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
>distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

Obligatory your an idiot post.

--

MacGyver Always has one one hand
http://data.tumblr.com/b9vfl4b63hhpz...rLx9o1_500.jpg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-14-2009 08:19 PM

chuckcar wrote:

> Moog wrote:
>> chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
>>> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
>>> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may
>>> see another message that means a bit more. Also the files in
>>> /var/log would be worth looking at.

>> He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.
>>

> Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows.

He never mentioned Wine. "I started up Windows in a Virtual machine,".
'Virtual machine' is not Wine. But VMWare and Virtualbox are.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

Wine *is* *not* a Linux emulator full stop.

> Fedora is a linux distribution.

Duh!

> Don't comment on what you don't know.

Excellent advice you should follow!!! (after you've had a good nap)

--
-bts

hwf 03-14-2009 10:40 PM

chuckcar wrote:
> Moog <efcmoog@gmail.com> wrote in news:720ca6Fn3ppgU1@mid.individual.net:
>
>> chuckcar illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
>>> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

>>> Lovely. MS windows in a nutshell I'd say. However, if you were to
>>> switch over to the virtual terminal where you started wine, you may see
>>> another message that means a bit more. Also the files in /var/log would
>>> be worth looking at.

>> He ran it on Windows in a virtual machine.
>>

> Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
> distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

I wonder if it would run in "Dosbox"?

http://www.dosbox.com/

--
http://www.palindeception.com/
http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

chuckcar 03-16-2009 01:48 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote in

> chuckcar <chuck@nil.car> wrote:
>
>>Yes, wine *is* the linux emulator for MS windows. Fedora is a linux
>>distribution. Don't comment on what you don't know.

> Obligatory your an idiot post.

At least *I* can write complete sentences and admit when I'm wrong.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-16-2009 02:02 AM

chuckcar wrote:

> and admit when I'm wrong.

Cain't say as I've ever seen that one...

--
-bts