Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: A philosopher's final answer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675545-re-a-philosophers-final-answer.html)

Moog 03-13-2009 11:52 PM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
> machine.
>
> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
>
> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
> document I created last year...
>
> here is the error message
>
> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
>
> Pretty much sums up what the philosophers have been seeking...
> viz: the meaning of life,
> the meaning of the universe...
> and existence in general.
>
> A good summation of my life,
> computers
> and the 21st century

Why yhe hell would you want to run a depracated application such as
publisher?

As for the error message you received in a "Virtual Machine", that is
a windows error message, and has nothing at all to do with linux.

My suggestion would be to move away from publisher entirely and look
to a fully open source appication such as scribus. Do this ASAP.

The more time you waste on publisher, the more your head is going to
be messed up.

--
I was reading this book today, The History Of Glue and I couldn't put
it down.

Moog 03-14-2009 12:04 AM

Re: A philosopher's final answer

philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
> Moog wrote:
>> philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
>>> Well...after fooling with Linux for close to ten years...
>>> I recently did a few upgrades and have now deployed Fedora 10 on my main
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> Though I have all the apps I need and finally, 100% hardware support...
>>> I decided to push the limits and try to run Publisher (the one
>>> application I really need to run nativly in Windows)
>>>
>>> I started up Windows in a Virtual machine, then tried to open a 1 gig
>>> document I created last year...
>>>
>>> here is the error message
>>>
>>> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/errors.jpg
>>>
>>> Pretty much sums up what the philosophers have been seeking...
>>> viz: the meaning of life,
>>> the meaning of the universe...
>>> and existence in general.
>>>
>>> A good summation of my life,
>>> computers
>>> and the 21st century

>> Why yhe hell would you want to run a depracated application such as
>> publisher?
>>
>> As for the error message you received in a "Virtual Machine", that is
>> a windows error message, and has nothing at all to do with linux.
>>
>> My suggestion would be to move away from publisher entirely and look
>> to a fully open source appication such as scribus. Do this ASAP.
>>
>> The more time you waste on publisher, the more your head is going to
>> be messed up.
>>

> Publisher is really the only tie I have to Windows.
> It is simply because I am a volunteer-worker for a non-profit
> organization here in town and from time to time need to create a
> publication.
> I work at home, but when I bring the document in to 'work' , for final
> editing purposes and printing layout I need to have 100% compatibility
> with the software they use. So not only do I need to use Publisher...
> it has to be the exact version.
>
> I do projects in Publisher so rarely it is not worth it trying to get
> the entire organization to switch over to what I use.
>
> I had no intention of actually running Publisher non-natively
> but thought I'd give it a try anyway just for the hell of it.
>
> However..just now I realized that they may be able to deal with a .pdf
> document...
> do you have any suggestions for a Linux application similar to Publisher
> that would allow me to save the document as a pdf. That might be a
> viable alternative

Did you miss the bit were I said
SCRIBUS?

You can run this on virtually any OS you want as it is free and open
source.

http://www.scribus.net/

--
So this bloke says to me, "Can I come in your house and talk about your
carpets?" I thought "That's all I need, a Je-hoover's witness".