Velocity Reviews

-   -   speed tests (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675407-speed-tests.html)

nc 03-12-2009 10:01 PM

speed tests

I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
surfing is fine. It's just with this application that sits on the main
server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
system??

chuckcar 03-13-2009 01:05 AM

Re: speed tests

nc <cipher7836@gmail.com> wrote in

> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
> down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
> surfing is fine.

You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

> It's just with this application that sits on the main
> server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
> connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
> system??

And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

Assuming it isn't the ISP throttling different protocols to limit their
speed You could try ftp from a linux distribution site for example - ftp
is low overhead, so you'll get a pretty accurate number. choose a file
over 10 meg just so the speed has time to stabilize after starting.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 03-13-2009 04:36 AM

Re: speed tests

chuckcar <chuck@nil.car> wrote:

>> Internet surfing is fine.

>You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

Yes, they are both slang for navigating the internet.

Sorry OP no help unless you could use
http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
--

20 Pictures That Give Rednecks A Bad Name
http://tinyurl.com/bsleua

ProfessorT 03-13-2009 04:57 AM

Mediacom FTP Upload Download problems

Mediacom Internet Service provider also NFG.

Customer service is terrible.

Multiple times I was told someone would follow up by an email or phone call - I got neither. One time I can understand, sometimes things slip through the cracks. When you are told by employees of a multi million dollar company that they will call you back you tend to take them on their WORD.

Mediacom's WORD is worthless and look forward to the day I can close the account.

When businesses feel there is no competition they think they can continue to give terrible service and expect to maintain customers.

Yes Mediacom I had a 600MB file i needed to transfer. That took 3-1/2 days at 5kbps average upload speed. My friend transferred the same file which took only 42 minutes with Comcast.

I jumped through all the hoops for Mediacom. Went to their service center picked up a new modem. Installed alternate FTP software. Even installed a new operating system. Even had my friend bring over his computer to no avail.

Ive been using FTP since 1995 and consider myself quite knowledgeable, but certainly not a network engineer. And its a real shame when a hack like myself knows more about networking then their level 2 technicians.

Don't know how many levels of techs they have but I'm sure cheap ass Mediacom only has ONE top level tech for the entire country most likely overworked and underpaid and could give a sh*t less about anybody elses pain! Quite possibly my issue is something that would require Mediacom to replace some expensive router or server,(or just have it configured correctly) certainly if they need to open up their wallet I'll be waiting til the cows come home.

ProfessorT

Desk Rabbit 03-13-2009 09:36 AM

Re: speed tests

nc wrote:
> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
> down and 500 Kb/s up.

Probably because most of the data is flowing up the slow leg of the
ADSL. For the remote user the VPN will be as fast as the slowest part of
the link and in this case its 500kb.

Either use client/server applications or a terminal server. Its also
worth looking into SDSL

Desk Rabbit 03-13-2009 09:37 AM

Re: speed tests

chuckcar wrote:
> nc <cipher7836@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
>> down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
>> surfing is fine.

> You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?
>
>> It's just with this application that sits on the main
>> server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
>> connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
>> system??
>>

> And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
> Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
> probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

ROFL!

Do you even know what a VPN is let alone how it works?

chad 03-13-2009 02:03 PM

Re: speed tests

On Mar 13, 4:37*am, Desk Rabbit <m...@example.com> wrote:
> chuckcar wrote:
> > nc <cipher7...@gmail.com> wrote in

> >> I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
> >> down and 500 Kb/s up. The connection is very slow. However, Internet
> >> surfing is fine.

> > You mean *web* surfing right? surely you know the difference?

> >> It's just with this application that sits on the main
> >> server at the main office. How can I test the throughput on this
> >> connection to get some real numbers to use when trying to improve the
> >> system??

> > And what internet protocol does this mysterious unnamed application *use*?
> > Kind of relevant isn't it? If it's a p2p application then there's your
> > probable answer: the ISP throttling the p2p speed is pretty common now.

> ROFL!
>
> Do you even know what a VPN is let alone how it works?- Hide quoted text -

I figured that the upload speed would be the problem, but I'm not too
sure now. Here's why...if I'm at location B and I download a file of
any size from the server at location A the entire application at B
slows down to a crawl. For example, you go to look up patient
information and it takes 20 seconds versus 1-2 seconds.

The application itself uses FTP to access information. I don't know
much about it since it was installed by someone else, and is managed
by another company. I just want to eliminate any bottlenecks I'm
responsible for. Once that's done and the thing is still slow then I
can just have the support company for the application take a look.

-Thanks for the replies

chad 03-13-2009 02:04 PM

Re: speed tests

On Mar 13, 4:36*am, Desk Rabbit <m...@example.com> wrote:
> nc wrote:
> > I have a client running a Netgear VPN over a DSL connection of 5 Mb/s
> > down and 500 Kb/s up.

> Probably because most of the data is flowing up the slow leg of the
> ADSL. For the remote user the VPN will be as fast as the slowest part of
> the link and in this case its 500kb.
>
> Either use client/server applications or a terminal server. Its also
> worth looking into SDSL

It is a normal client/server application as far as I know. Terminal
services could be a good idea, but the server at the other end isn't
robust enough to deal with 10-15 connections and users slamming it
locally.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 03-13-2009 04:38 PM

Re: speed tests

chad <cipher7836@gmail.com> wrote:

>I figured that the upload speed would be the problem, but I'm not too
>sure now. Here's why...if I'm at location B and I download a file of
>any size from the server at location A the entire application at B
>slows down to a crawl. For example, you go to look up patient
>information and it takes 20 seconds versus 1-2 seconds.
>
>The application itself uses FTP to access information. I don't know
>much about it since it was installed by someone else, and is managed
>by another company. I just want to eliminate any bottlenecks I'm
>responsible for. Once that's done and the thing is still slow then I
>can just have the support company for the application take a look.
>
>-Thanks for the replies

Google and use TRACERT

Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
cmd /k TRACERT digg.com
<enter>

Digg.com can be any site, but viewing the Miliseconds will show you
the bottleneck.
--

Ever run wire?
http://i.gizmodo.com/5169224/what-in-wired-hell-is-this

John Holmes 03-13-2009 08:08 PM

Re: speed tests

nc "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I have a client

I feel you're just a cheap bastard asking here for solutions which you can
charge your client.

--
<snip>