Velocity Reviews

-   -   partition merging (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t675033-partition-merging.html)

bardeban 03-10-2009 12:09 AM

partition merging

I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my laptop. I like to have
only one partition of 80GB. How could I merge them without formatting my
hard drive?
TIA

G. Morgan 03-10-2009 12:37 AM

Re: partition merging

bardeban wrote:

>I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my laptop. I like to have
>only one partition of 80GB. How could I merge them without formatting my
>hard drive?
>TIA

http://www.webisee.com/2009/02/27/fu...-pro-download/

Use the alternate link to download.

thanatoid 03-10-2009 05:59 AM

Re: partition merging

"bardeban" <bardeban@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my
> laptop. I like to have only one partition of 80GB. How
> could I merge them without formatting my hard drive?
> TIA

I know you won't listen but you should make 5 partitions instead
of 1 or 2. If not more.

A single partition is at the root of half the whining I read in
this group.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

Keyser Söze 03-10-2009 09:30 AM

Re: partition merging

thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in message

> "bardeban" <bardeban@sympatico.ca> wrote in
>
>> I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my
>> laptop. I like to have only one partition of 80GB. How
>> could I merge them without formatting my hard drive?
>> TIA

> I know you won't listen but you should make 5 partitions instead
> of 1 or 2. If not more.
>
> A single partition is at the root of half the whining I read in
> this group.

Not true, as the root of all my whining is that I'll never have enough
money, booze, drug, sex, misery, joy, aches and pains, food, fun,
breathlessness, happiness, spite, cigars, fun <oh, I already said fun -
scratch that>.

And as for partitions, I've just to ****ing many of the little critters. I
even have a 5MB partition just for nostalgia, whoever she is.

I'll get back to you with the rest, I'm bored now... oh, boredom...

;->

--
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
an understanding of ourselves. Jung

In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

VanguardLH 03-10-2009 07:42 PM

Re: partition merging

G. Morgan wrote:

> bardeban wrote:
>
>> I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my laptop. I like
>> to have only one partition of 80GB. How could I merge them without
>> formatting my hard drive?

> http://www.webisee.com/2009/02/27/fu...-pro-download/
>
> Use the alternate link to download.

Or go directly to the vendor's site at:

http://www.easeus.com/download.htm http://www.partition-tool.com/

G. Morgan 03-10-2009 07:55 PM

Re: partition merging

VanguardLH wrote:

>G. Morgan wrote:
>
>> bardeban wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my laptop. I like
>>> to have only one partition of 80GB. How could I merge them without
>>> formatting my hard drive?

>> http://www.webisee.com/2009/02/27/fu...-pro-download/
>>
>> Use the alternate link to download.

>Or go directly to the vendor's site at:
>
>http://www.easeus.com/download.htm http://www.partition-tool.com/

My link had the "Pro" version as a free download. (They gave it away for 24
hours back in Feb.)

thanatoid 03-13-2009 05:25 AM

Re: partition merging

Ardent <iam@here.com.invalid> wrote in

> On 10 Mar 2009 05:59:52 GMT, thanatoid
> <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
>
>>A single partition is at the root of half the whining I
>>read in this group.

> Yes, it is very convenient to have multiple partitions. One
> for the OS and the programs and another for data for the
> programs and then more for saving downloaded software,
> music, video etc.
>
> As soon as the OS partition is made and tweaked to
> satisfaction it should be imaged so that in case any
> problem, mostly IMHO the OS partition is affected more than
> the others. In such a case the partition can be restored in
> minutes and back on track.

Well, thank fubar only a few people think like we do or most
techs and $50 defrag program makers would be out of work!

I have a 40GB drive with 16 partitions, FWIW. And I image C:
whenever I make serious changes.

VanguardLH 03-13-2009 04:48 PM

Re: partition merging

G. Morgan wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> G. Morgan wrote:

>>> http://www.webisee.com/2009/02/27/fu...-pro-download/
>>>

>>> Use the alternate link to download.

>> Or go directly to the vendor's site at:
>>
>> http://www.easeus.com/download.htm http://www.partition-tool.com/

> My link had the "Pro" version as a free download. (They gave it away
> for 24 hours back in Feb.)

And on that web page:

"Full Version EASEUS Partition Master Professional Free Download
Today Only"
Dated: February 27th, 2009

Well, TODAY has long passed. When you click on the "Download Easeus
Partition Master Pro" link, you get "THE PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND". Well,
yeah, because that offer expired.

I clicked on the mediafire link (and then clicked on the download link
in their ad-ridden page), and could download the epmpro3.zip file.

So what the above means is that webisee.com honored the free offer while
mediafire violated it, or webisee violated the offer if the mediafire
(and filefactory) downloads are theirs to manage and they didn't remove
them after the offer expired. Since filefactory (for its basic download
service) is always busy (so I cannot get a "slot" for download), I
cannot check if they (or this site) are continuing to violate this
vendor's intended 1-day offer.

The vendor was kind enough to provide a 1-day offer for a free copy of
their *paid* Pro version. This site has denigrated itself to a pirate
(as well as the affiliate download sites). I don't promote anything
from pirates. The unpirated free Home edition should be more than
adequate for the OP's needs.

Old Codger 03-13-2009 05:42 PM

Re: partition merging

bardeban wrote:
> I have a 80GB hard drive, partitioned to 2 40GB in my laptop. I like to have
> only one partition of 80GB. How could I merge them without formatting my
> hard drive?

GParted, open source and multiskilled. There is even a live CD
download. http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

G. Morgan 03-13-2009 07:10 PM

Re: partition merging

VanguardLH wrote:

>The vendor was kind enough to provide a 1-day offer for a free copy of
>their *paid* Pro version.

Which didn't work during most of those 24 hours.

> This site has denigrated itself to a pirate
>(as well as the affiliate download sites). I don't promote anything
>from pirates.

Well, I'm not a self-appointed license compliance clerk. I simply provided
links.

> The unpirated free Home edition should be more than
>adequate for the OP's needs.

Maybe, maybe not.

Do you want to argue about software piracy? Is that why you replied?