Velocity Reviews

-   -   How would you do this in html? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t674874-how-would-you-do-this-in-html.html)

richard 03-08-2009 06:42 PM

How would you do this in html?

<http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>

Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.

How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
behave the way I have it.

The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.

An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
coding for sure.

richard 03-08-2009 08:11 PM

Re: How would you do this in html?

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:42:30 -0400, richard <member@newsguy.com>
wrote:

><http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?_s=DhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK&_k=ZcFjJOtI>
>
>Apparently tinyurl doesn't like the port.
>
>How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html?
>Then, you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
>behave the way I have it.
>
>The only script is in the output page, not in the actual coding.
>
>An item such as this is easier done in run basic than it is in either
>html or php. Without run basic, I'd have one extremely long page of
>coding for sure.

If you have problems with that link try this one.

<http://1littleworld.net:8008/seaside/go/runbasicpersonal?app=zip1>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-08-2009 09:46 PM

Jim Moe wrote:

> richard wrote:
>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
>>
>> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
>> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
>> behave the way I have it.
>>

> What item? The URL?
> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
> page full of:
>
> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
> Please contact your webmaster."

Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
to examine and evaluate that?

The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
12,000+ line of code.

--
-bts

richard 03-08-2009 09:59 PM

Re: How would you do this in html?

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:

>Jim Moe wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
>>>
>>> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
>>> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
>>> behave the way I have it.
>>>

>> What item? The URL?
>> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
>> page full of:
>>
>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
>> Please contact your webmaster."

>Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
>to examine and evaluate that?
>
>The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>12,000+ line of code.

What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
appearing along with the lists.

Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Nik Coughlin 03-08-2009 10:35 PM

"richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Jim Moe wrote:

>>> What item? The URL?
>>> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
>>> page full of:
>>>
>>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
>>> Please contact your webmaster."

>>Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
>>to examine and evaluate that?
>>
>>The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>>12,000+ line of code.

> What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
> appearing along with the lists.
>
> Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Fails here too.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-08-2009 11:33 PM

richard wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> Jim Moe wrote:

>>> What item? The URL? Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes,
>>> yellow and green, and a page full of:
>>>
>>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated Please contact your
>>> webmaster."

>> Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is
>> going to examine and evaluate that?
>>
>> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>> 12,000+ line of code.

> What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
> appearing along with the lists.

Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
until the middle of next week.

> Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.

I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;

Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.

The page has 170 HTML errors.
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1littleworld. net%3A8008%2Fseaside%2Fgo%2Frunbasicpersonal%3F_s% 3DDhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK%26_k%3DZcFjJOtI>

New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

--
-bts

richard 03-09-2009 12:32 AM

Re: How would you do this in html?

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:33:56 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:

>richard wrote:

>>> Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is
>>> going to examine and evaluate that?
>>>
>>> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>>> 12,000+ line of code.

>> What browser are you using? No one else has mentioned the code
>> appearing along with the lists.

>Any browser. "View Source." You asked "how would you go about...", so I
>looked at the code to see how I would. The code scrolls horizontally
>until the middle of next week.
>
>> Do the code lines begin with "<br/>onclick............."

>Line 35, and (whoops!) it is now 24,085 characters long.
>
>I also did a refresh on the page still in my browser, and got;
>
>Your Run BASIC Session Has Expired
>For a new session click here. <-- which didn't work
>Copyright 2007 Shoptalk Systems.
>
>The page has 170 HTML errors.
><http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1littleworld. net%3A8008%2Fseaside%2Fgo%2Frunbasicpersonal%3F_s% 3DDhwnDYeKiXRBYJGK%26_k%3DZcFjJOtI>
>
>New pages should be HTML 4.01 Strict.

You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
What you did see is correct.
That is the output generated by the program in the manner, more or
less, as php outputs an html page.

As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
Because it's not setup to disregard it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 03-09-2009 12:49 AM

richard wrote:

> You did not say before that you had looked at the page source itself.
> What you did see is correct. That is the output generated by the
> program in the manner, more or less, as php outputs an html page.

My PHP does not output pages on a single line 24,085 characters long.
Tell it to use linefeeds between objects.

> As for the validations and that, perhaps you should point out that
> side to the author himself. See www.runbasic.com for his email.
> I'm sure his vast experience outweighs yours by several light years.

I've no interest in seeing runbasic.com. And I doubt if his web
authoring experience is better than mine at all.

> As I've seen the validator spit out false errors many a times.
> Like in URL's that have a quoted section, which should be bypassed.
> Like why does the validator return an error on a ? within the url?
> Because it's not setup to disregard it.

Like why? Because they are errors according to the XHTML specs. It's
that simple.

New work should be Strict. Transitional is reserved for updating legacy
pages.

--
-bts

richard 03-09-2009 12:51 AM

Re: How would you do this in html?

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:

>Jim Moe wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>> <http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/ ...
>>>
>>> How would you go about coding this rather lengthy item in html? Then,
>>> you'd have to include some javascript or php to make it work and
>>> behave the way I have it.
>>>

>> What item? The URL?
>> Looking the URL's page I got two list boxes, yellow and green, and a
>> page full of:
>>
>> "This application has unexpectedly terminated
>> Please contact your webmaster."

>Same here. And a line of code over 12,000 characters long. Who is going
>to examine and evaluate that?
>
>The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>12,000+ line of code.

BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
I only did it that way for testing anyways.

rf 03-09-2009 01:01 AM

richard wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:46:16 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Jim Moe wrote:

>> The second link RtS gave has only the two lists, but still has the
>> 12,000+ line of code.

> BTW, most of those errors you see should be corrected when I get to
> working on the tables that will go below the text boxes.
> I only did it that way for testing anyways.

How can you test something that has hundreds of errors? You don't know
*what* the browser is going to do with it.