Velocity Reviews

-   -   laptop - vista not loading (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t674688-laptop-vista-not-loading.html)

Jack Spratt 03-07-2009 05:21 AM

laptop - vista not loading

Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation and
then nothing.
Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).

Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
They never made a recovery disk.

I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded new
software? All negative.
They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing silly
has been done.

Any ideas?

--
Jack Spratt

Jack Spratt 03-07-2009 05:37 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
> When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation and
> then nothing.
> Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).
>
> Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
> BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
> This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
> They never made a recovery disk.
>
> I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded new
> software? All negative.
> They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing
> silly has been done.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Jack Spratt

Panic over - fixed it.

--
Jack Spratt

Your Name 03-07-2009 06:20 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

"Crash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message

> So - what was the fix ;-)

Dropping it a second time. ;-)

Jack Spratt 03-07-2009 07:00 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

"Crash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Friend of mine has dropped off their laptop.
>>> When booting it goes past the "microsoft corporation" status animation
>>> and
>>> then nothing.
>>> Black screen with a mouse pointer (which moves around fine).
>>>
>>> Booting to safe mode does exactly the same thing.
>>> BIOS settings all appear fine and memory/disk diags report no problem.
>>> This is an OEM install so no Vista disk.
>>> They never made a recovery disk.
>>>
>>> I've asked the normal questions.... installed new hardware? Downloaded
>>> new
>>> software? All negative.
>>> They run it under normal user account (not admin) so assuming nothing
>>> silly has been done.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jack Spratt

>>Panic over - fixed it.

> So - what was the fix ;-)
>
> --
> Crash

Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a F11
system recovery.
Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's lost
her files but regained her laptop.

Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system restore
points when she comes to collect it.

--
Jack Spratt

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 03-07-2009 08:39 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

In message <got62s$i0k$1@news.motzarella.org>, Jack Spratt wrote:

> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

Jack Spratt 03-07-2009 09:05 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message
> In message <got62s$i0k$1@news.motzarella.org>, Jack Spratt wrote:
>
>> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
>> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

> Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

Eh, Doesn't exist?

My beef was the fact that it a) went through the whole backup process before
it told me it needed to copy it to disk (as opposed to the recovery
partition) and b) waited till I'd fetched an external HDD before telling me
it had to be formatted to NTFS

--
Jack Spratt

Richard 03-07-2009 10:13 AM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <got62s$i0k$1@news.motzarella.org>, Jack Spratt wrote:
>
>> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
>> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

> Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
losing files when improperly disconnected.

Enkidu 03-07-2009 09:27 PM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

Jack Spratt wrote:
> "Crash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:37:57 +1300, "Jack Spratt"
>> <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Panic over - fixed it.

>> So - what was the fix ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Crash

> Her boot up options were displaying for about 1 second!
> It took me around 5 reboots to see there was (among the Fn options) a
> F11 system recovery.
> Had a HP partition on it which must have had the Vista install files.
> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
> formatted usb drive to copy them to. Didn't have one to hand so she's
> lost her files but regained her laptop.
>
> Will be telling her the merits of system recovery disks and system
> restore points when she comes to collect it.

System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu 03-07-2009 09:35 PM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

Richard wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <got62s$i0k$1@news.motzarella.org>, Jack Spratt wrote:
>>
>>> Gave me the option of back up all her user files but demanded an NTFS
>>> formatted usb drive to copy them to.

>> Bit stupid to demand something that doesn't exist, isn't it?

> I have all my USB drives as NTFS since it is journaled so immune to
> losing files when improperly disconnected.

It's perfectly possible to fubar a file on an NTFS volume by improperly
disconnecting it.

Cheers,

Cliff

Your Name 03-07-2009 10:40 PM

Re: laptop - vista not loading

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message

> System recovery disks are essential. System restore points are useless.

ALL computers should ship with original CD / DVDs in the box, rather than
forcing the user to make their own as some cheapskate companies do.