Velocity Reviews

-   -   XNet newsgroup server down again (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t674667-xnet-newsgroup-server-down-again.html)

st360021@hotmail.com 03-07-2009 12:15 AM

XNet newsgroup server down again

It appears that the XNet usenet server has been offline since Thursday
evening.
Are there any NZ ISPs left that provide a decent usenet service?

Your Name 03-07-2009 02:33 AM

Re: XNet newsgroup server down again

<st360021@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It appears that the XNet usenet server has been offline since Thursday
> evening.
> Are there any NZ ISPs left that provide a decent usenet service?

Decent? Probably not. Many ISP don't really understand that the "S" stands
for "Service" - as long as they give you a connection to the Internet, other
things like email servers, newsservers, etc. are "bonus extras".

ihug / Vodafone does still have a newsserver (and it's even been getting a
couple of new newsgroups recently), but their "service" is often
astonishingly bad and the newsserver has a bad habit of falling over. They
don't have really binaries newsgroups though.

Your Name 03-07-2009 06:28 AM

Re: XNet newsgroup server down again

"Crash" <nogood@dontbother.invalid> wrote in message

<snip>

> Orcon was originally owned by Seeby Woodhouse - a one-time contributor
> here. While ownership has changed and Seeby no longer lurks here
> (well not under this name) it seems to me that Orcon retain their
> commitment to providing a reliable nntp server.

Orcon also "sub-lease" to some other minor ISPs and companies who offer
Internet access (eg. the Infogen electricity company for their customers).

Orcon is the most likely candidate for me to move to when I ditch hopeless
ihug / Vodafone. Orcon is about where ihug were a few years ago - they're
still fairly small and don't seem to have reached the greedy "screwing the
customer" mentality of "big business" like ihug / Vodafone and Telescum NZ
.... yet!