Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Possible motherboard issue (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t674091-re-possible-motherboard-issue.html)

VanguardLH 03-03-2009 01:36 PM

Re: Possible motherboard issue

Note: Following lines rewrapped to a much shorter length. Configure
your Forte Agent to wrap at, or before, 76 characters per line. It
currently is set to ~150 chars/line.

Nick@nowhere.com wrote:

> Need some help in troubleshooting an issue for my uncle. He has a 2
> 1/2 year old Gigabyte AMD motherboard with a 3200 Athlon 64
> processor. Recently he has been having issues with programs crashing
> in Windows as well as an issue with when he moves his mouse, the
> video goes crazy until he stops. Other times everything will be ok.
> What we have done so far was re-image his machine with a snapshot I
> took when I built his machine back in 2006. We also checked for any
> bad HD sectors with HD Tune and ran a memory test with memtest. The
> checks passed and no bad sectors were detected. He said that he did
> notice an issue with a USRprbd driver recently. He called Gigabyte
> and they immediately blamed the issue on the O/S and old him to
> reinstall it. I'm thinking either the IDE controller is failing or
> something is wrong with the MB. What do you all think?

Was the USRprbd error the following:

USRPRBDA.EXE DLL FAILED TO INITIALIZE

If so, the solution from other articles is to update the US Robotics
driver. The error occurs during shutdown. You could disable the modem
in Device Manager but then you might as well as remove it from the PCI
slot if you're not going to use it. Presumably it's there to be used,
like for faxing or you have a dial-up connection for Internet access.

An IDE controller issue wouldn't be the cause of the video "goes crazy"
when moving the mouse. Seems to be the only problem you describe (otehr
than the modem driver issue on shutdown). After moving the mouse, and
after whatever is the "crazy" stuff that happens with the display, has
the mouse pointer moved on the screen to a new location? When the mouse
is NOT moved but the screen content changes, like playing a video file
(movie DVD, avi or mpeg file, game, Flash content on web page, or
whatever), does the screen still go "crazy"? Could you elaborate on
what "crazy" means?

To where is the mouse connected? To a USB or PS/2 port? If USB, is it
connected to a USB port on the system case (backside or side or
frontside USB port), or is it connected to a keyboard USB port or
perhaps to a USB port in the monitor? If connected anywhere other than
the system case, try removing it from wherever and connect to a USB port
on the system case.

If a USB mouse, is it connected to a powered USB hub? Or a passive USB
hub? How many other devices are plugged into the same pair of USB ports
as is the mouse? Each USB controller can control 2 channels and hence
why USB ports are found in pairs but that controller can only support up
to 500mA of current across BOTH ports. Unplug all other USB devices
that share the same port pair so just the mouse is connected to them.
You could even try unplugging all other USB devices to test just the USB
mouse. If you have a USB keyboard, put it on a different USB port pair
than used for the mouse. The point is the minimize what USB devices are
currently connected and isolate the USB mouse so only it is on a USB
port pair.

Have you yet tried jiggling the video cable at the system case and
monitor ends to make sure the mouse cable is twisting around it or
pushing against it and the video cable is the culprit (because it is
loose or damaged)? Is the video output from a video card in a slot or
from a video controller onboard the motherboard? Can't tell WHICH model
you have from your "Gigabyte AMD motherboard" description.

Did you install the mouse vendor's software for the mouse or did you use
the drivers included in Windows for a standard PS/2 or HID (USB) mouse?

Are the computer and monitor both connected to the same UPS? If so, yet
tried bypassing the UPS (i.e., don't use the UPS)?

Made any hardware changes after which the "video goes crazy when move
mouse" problem arose? Did you install a better and faster video card?
Add another [hard] drive? Add more memory? Anything? What's the size
of the PSU (power supply unit) inside the system case? Who made it and
which model? If you've kept adding hardware to the system, perhaps you
eventually exceeded the capability of the PSU, or it's gone bad.