Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: avast ads (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t673864-re-avast-ads.html)

Jeff Strickland 03-02-2009 01:34 AM

Re: avast ads

You gotta stop using the free version. Free stuff is just an ad for the
stuff they want you to buy.

- Bobb - 04-30-2009 11:19 AM

Re: avast ads

> "John" <stoph@masterror.com> wrote in message
>> how do you get rid of the ads that keep popping up courtesy of the
>> avast av software? I keep getting one asking me to buy the full
>> product. It opens up in an explorer window but I am sticking with the
>> free version. Is there away to disable this or to cancel the service
>> in msconfig? If so what is the name of this service?

My free version (4.8) has no ads for what I use : did you get yours here ?

I only use the standard shield - not all modules - maybe that's why ?
I use ZoneAlarm for firewall.

Open avast icon in system tray - click " Details "
or
right-click systray icon - then program settings

James D. Andrews 04-30-2009 05:19 PM

Re: avast ads

>> "John" <stoph@masterror.com> wrote in message
>>> how do you get rid of the ads that keep popping up courtesy of the
>>> avast av software? I keep getting one asking me to buy the full
>>> product. It opens up in an explorer window but I am sticking with the
>>> free version. Is there away to disable this or to cancel the service
>>> in msconfig? If so what is the name of this service?

> My free version (4.8) has no ads for what I use : did you get yours here
> ?
>
> I only use the standard shield - not all modules - maybe that's why ?
> I use ZoneAlarm for firewall.
>
> Open avast icon in system tray - click " Details "
> or
> right-click systray icon - then program settings

I also use Avast free version, received via a freeware site, and do not
receive nags. As stated above, problem can probably be resolved via Program
Settings. If not, consider reinstalling and watch carefully for check
boxes.

Also, if no conflict occurs, you should probably run the additional shields
on Avast. With these in place, Avast has caught a few nasty critters for
me.

Woof