Velocity Reviews

-   -   testers needed (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t673699-testers-needed.html)

richard 02-28-2009 08:07 PM

testers needed

http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman

What do you get?

No page.
"404"
A login page with username/password
A picture of gallows and letter choices?

This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.

What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
BASIC language.

dorayme 02-28-2009 09:24 PM

Re: testers needed

In article <bc6jq4h6iu4gdl4kpev9ivp74s1lfcn35s@4ax.com>,
richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:

> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>
> What do you get?

A picture of gallows and letter choices and I got only the A wrong (and
the noose) on REMOVED. I was pleased by my early guess of V. wtf are you
doing? No, I withdraw that question, I probably don't need to know.

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson 02-28-2009 09:34 PM

Re: testers needed

On 2009-02-28, richard wrote:
> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>
> What do you get?

A newly generated page with a transitional doctype that doesn't
match the content of the page.

Author:

richard 02-28-2009 11:47 PM

Re: testers needed

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 08:24:48 +1100, dorayme
<doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>In article <bc6jq4h6iu4gdl4kpev9ivp74s1lfcn35s@4ax.com>,
> richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>>
>> What do you get?
>>

>A picture of gallows and letter choices and I got only the A wrong (and
>the noose) on REMOVED. I was pleased by my early guess of V. wtf are you
>doing? No, I withdraw that question, I probably don't need to know.

Thank you.
This is a new method of creating applications that work within a web
page. It works without you having to install anything unlike java
applets or flash.

The code is written in a hybrid version of BASIC and translated to a
web page.

www.runbasic.com and www.libertybasic.com

Irina Rempt 03-01-2009 02:06 PM

Re: testers needed

On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:

> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>
> What do you get?

A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game. I think part of the
slowness is caused by having to load the whole page again for every
letter. The only thing I liked about it was the blocking-out of no longer
available letters.

Is it intended to be used only in the USA? It felt like the letters were
trying to swim the Atlantic.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

David Segall 03-01-2009 02:45 PM

Re: testers needed

richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:

>http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>
>What do you get?
>
>No page.
>"404"
>A login page with username/password
>A picture of gallows and letter choices?
>
>This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
>
>What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
>An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
>BASIC language.

It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

richard 03-01-2009 03:15 PM

Re: testers needed

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:45:45 GMT, David Segall <david@address.invalid>
wrote:

>richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>>
>>What do you get?
>>
>>No page.
>>"404"
>>A login page with username/password
>>A picture of gallows and letter choices?
>>
>>This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
>>
>>What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
>>An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
>>BASIC language.

>It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
>the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
for it.

richard 03-01-2009 03:16 PM

Re: testers needed

On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:06:52 +0100, Irina Rempt <irina@valdyas.org>
wrote:

>On Saturday 28 February 2009 21:07, richard wrote:
>
>> http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>>
>> What do you get?

>A rather crude and excruciatingly slow hangman game. I think part of the
>slowness is caused by having to load the whole page again for every
>letter. The only thing I liked about it was the blocking-out of no longer
>available letters.
>
>Is it intended to be used only in the USA? It felt like the letters were
>trying to swim the Atlantic.
>
> Irina

The reloading is probably due to the coding which is designed to help
show how the coding works.

David Segall 03-01-2009 04:01 PM

Re: testers needed

richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 14:45:45 GMT, David Segall <david@address.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.1littleworld.net:8008/sea...al?app=hangman
>>>
>>>What do you get?
>>>
>>>No page.
>>>"404"
>>>A login page with username/password
>>>A picture of gallows and letter choices?
>>>
>>>This is NOT html, java, javascript, flash or PHP.
>>>
>>>What you are witnessing is "Run BASIC".
>>>An offshoot of "Liberty Basic" which is a hybrid version of the old
>>>BASIC language.

>>It needs to be interactive in the Ajax style. Why do I have to click
>>the "Accept" button after I type a letter?

>This is just a demo that came with the application itself.
>It's only intent is to show how the application works and the coding
>for it.

Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
an Ajax style application.

dorayme 03-01-2009 06:14 PM

Re: testers needed

In article <qoblq496ptmkop63kbsb4ntcdm45g2qp1i@4ax.com>,
David Segall <david@address.invalid> wrote:

> Why post an inferior version of a trivial Hangman program? It seems to
> be intended as an advertisement for Run BASIC but it lacks the
> interface that a user expects from a modern, web based, program. That
> has to leave a potential customer wondering if Run Basic can support
> an Ajax style application.

Richard said it was just a testing exercise.

--
dorayme