Velocity Reviews

-   MCITP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f52-mcitp.html)
-   -   WIM's and multiple images (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t673510-wims-and-multiple-images.html)

Kirby Timm 09-18-2008 08:28 PM

WIM's and multiple images

So I have a WIM file with 2 images. I created the first image the WIM file
was about 2 gig. I added the 2nd image and the WIM file bumped up to about
6 gig. I tested what I wanted to with the 2nd image and then removed it
from the WIM file. I expected the WIM file to drop back down to about 2
gig, but it did not, it stayed at 6 gig. I can clearly see in the WIM file
that there is only the 1 image now, but I don't understand why the size has
not decreased. Is there a step that I'm missing or a way to compress a WIM
that has been modified or do I need to copy the remaining image into a new
WIM in order to get it back down to 2 gig?

Thanks

Darrilgibson@gmail.com 09-19-2008 12:01 AM

Re: WIM's and multiple images

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure the /export switch will allow
you to recreate the image file and only the files needed for the
image(s) are exported. It creates a completely new file, but at the
appropriate size. This Technet article has the information on the
switches.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749447.aspx

Additionally, a non-Microsoft program called VLite (http://
www.vlite.net/) is often discussed as an easy way to do this.

Goood luck,

Darril Gibson

Author -
MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam
70-646) ISBN 978-0470293157
MCITP Windows Vista Support Technician All-in-One Exam Guide (Exam
70-620, 70-622, & 70-623) ISBN 978-0071546676

Kirby Timm 09-19-2008 01:25 PM

Re: WIM's and multiple images

Thanks for the reply.

While I was waiting for replies I did try the export and that did the trick.
I'll take a look at this vlite, see what it's all about.

Thanks!