Velocity Reviews

-   MCTS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f53-mcts.html)
-   -   Career Advice Please Help (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t673029-career-advice-please-help.html)

Paul.Gleeson 02-06-2008 07:43 PM

Career Advice Please Help

Hi all,

I am an MCSE and I want to change careers from support to development. But,
I am finding it difficult to decide to go the .net Web route or the .net
AppDev route

My study plan is as below.

Exam 70–431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance

And
Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development

Then

Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development
Foundation
Or
Exam 70-526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Windows-Based Client
Development

What am I letting myself in for? and also which avenue is more lucrative.

One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books state
that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and can anyone
please recommending a beginners book.

I’m sorry for all these questions but I would rather get it right at the
beginning than have to change later on down the road.
In advance Thanks very much......

--
Paul

Death from Above 02-06-2008 08:06 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

You should take 70-536 before you take any other development exams.

Good luck with your change. Which avenue is more lucrative? You should
take a look at a salary web site to find that out. Personally, I am
bringing home the Benjamins. But then again, I am one of the greatest
software developers of all time. So, I got that going for me. Which is
nice.

Death from Above
MCPD: EAD, Web, Win
MCITP: DBD, DBA
MCSD.NET
MCDBA

Paul.Gleeson 02-06-2008 09:23 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

Yea cheers buddy, i got my courses backwords there..

Exam 70–431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance

And
Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development
Foundation

Then

Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development
Or
Exam 70-526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Windows-Based Client
Development

Please can you help me get a clearer picture?

1. What am I letting myself in for where will theses paths take me?

2. Which avenue is more lucrative? No scratch that. Which one is the more
fun as money can’t buy you the satisfaction of an enjoyable career?

3. One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books state
that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and could you
please recommending a beginners book.

Death from Above 02-06-2008 09:46 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

> 1. What am I letting myself in for where will theses paths take me?

Wherever you've go the drive and skill to take yourself.

> 2. Which avenue is more lucrative? No scratch that. Which one is the more
> fun as money can't buy you the satisfaction of an enjoyable career?

I've always been a developer so I can't really compare it to support.

> 3. One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books
> state
> that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and could you
> please recommending a beginners book.

Being an expert, I haven't really read any beginner books for a long time.
Go to Amazon.com and search for C#. Buy one of the top selling, and highly
rated books.

Death from Above

Paul.Gleeson 02-06-2008 11:33 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

Thanks very much for your reply and kind advise.

PS, my referience wasent to support and devolopment, it was to Web.NET or
Windows based dev .net

But I think I will study both.

And Yea thanks I found Step by Step c# book...Nice one and Thanks again..

Marc 02-07-2008 02:11 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

"Paul.Gleeson" <Shagamatula@MSN.COM(donotspam)> wrote

Have you got a study background that involves coding. Like an information
science degree?

Anyway I would do just this one:

> Exam 70-528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client
> Development

or this one

>Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development

And then look for a coding job asap and learn from that. Otherwise, you'll
be two years further, at the least, before you finish all these exams!!

Alternatively, you could also do SCJP, Sun Certified Java Programmer. That
will demonstrate your ability to learn a Object Oriented programming
language. And java or C# do not differ that much.

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/...cgi?category=7

The peer to peer (programmer to programmer) support is much better for SCJP
then with the MicroSoft Exams.

Marc 02-07-2008 02:56 PM

Re: Career Advice Please Help

"Death from Above" <supaninja@kickin.booty.com> wrote

> I've always been a developer so I can't really compare it to support.

I can, I worked for techsupport, developper support. Support is annoying
since you cannot work longer on a problem, it's this client with a problem
then that client with a problem, then another with an urgent problem. Also I
did not like support since tech support and customer support were in one
room, hence you would be trying to figure out a technical problem with
people on the phone besides you. Furthermore these first line support guys,
are really different from techies, and talk and think they are funny all
day, and if you complain, you're the nerd with no social skills.

If you can find yourself in my description, do what I did, and go for the
programming job. But I must say, it was hard to find one at that period. The
year 2005. And then even I was an experienced programmed before I did some
developper support job. So some of these job agencies really think, no he is
a support guy. You will also find a lot of those human resource people
phoning you, telling you you're not fit for the programming job, but they
have a nice support job for you. You say no, she gives it to a collegue, the
other girl calls you again with the same question, would you like that job
you never applied for. It took me six whole weeks to find a kinda
starter/intermediate programmer job. Not that long but with my experience I
did have from say, five years before that, finding a job was harder then I
thought. Then when I met my collegues it was easy, since they saw in a day I
was more a programmer then a support engineer, and I just knew everything.
(Not to be modest...)

And no, I do not really like human resource and job agency persons, as you
can imagine.

But does this help you?