Velocity Reviews

-   -   windows software to monitor adsl activity? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t672390-windows-software-to-monitor-adsl-activity.html)

tg 02-25-2009 06:00 PM

windows software to monitor adsl activity?

cisco 2651XM router fitted with:
WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband

as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP
who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really
know what is happening on my adsl line. so I was wondering if anyone
knows of windows software that will give me a graphical representation
in real time of what is happening on my broadband line.
Note: I already use a great little program on my winxp PC called Net
Medic and this shows me real-time network activity but it's naturally
confined to network activity on just the PC. I have several networked
PC's and an ip phone so I want to see what is happening on my broadband
line as a whole.
Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
pointers.

alexd 02-25-2009 08:59 PM

Re: windows software to monitor adsl activity?

tg wrote:

> cisco 2651XM router fitted with:
> WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband
>
> as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP
> who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really
> know what is happening on my adsl line.

Have a look at your DSL stats [show dsl int] and the CPU on your router. If
you're hammering the torrents you might be overwhelming it.

> Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
> rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
> pointers.

Cacti is PHP+MySQL so doesn't need compiling. Have a look at PRTG instead.
Some of these monitoring platforms are available as ready-made VM images so
that might be worth a look.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
20:52:21 up 82 days, 23:04, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.06

bod43 02-26-2009 01:08 AM

On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <troffa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> tg wrote:
> > cisco 2651XM router fitted with:
> > WIC1-adsl, NM-16ESW switch, on adsl broadband

> > as of late I'm getting slow broadband and I've reported this to my ISP
> > who is currently looking into it. But it occurrs to me I don't really
> > know what is happening on my adsl line.

> Have a look at your DSL stats [show dsl int] and the CPU on your router. If
> you're hammering the torrents you might be overwhelming it.
>
> > Someone kindly pointed me to MRTG and Cacti but they have to be compiled
> > rather than installed and this exceeds my skills. Thanks for any
> > pointers.

> Cacti is PHP+MySQL so doesn't need compiling. Have a look at PRTG instead.
> Some of these monitoring platforms are available as ready-made VM images so
> that might be worth a look.

The absolute simplest snmp client that can
display graphs that I know of is:-

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

It is an old application and does not have the facility to save
the data but it can record for a few days. It will be version1
only I would think.

You need to configure snmp on your router.

tg 02-27-2009 11:16 PM

"bod43" <Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <troffa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> tg wrote:

ok I'll chack this out and thanks for your feedback bod43

bod43 02-28-2009 06:52 PM

On 27 Feb, 23:16, "tg" <t...@nospamevereverever.net> wrote:
> "bod43" <Bo...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> > On 25 Feb, 20:59, alexd <troffa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> tg wrote:

> ok I'll chack this out and thanks for your feedback bod43

Ther is quite a lot going on here and if you have
never used snmp before it could be quite a challenge.

Here is a quick outline.

NOTE - Graph created is BYTES (octets) per second.

In the router config
snmp-server community bod43 RO

You should make sure that people on the internet
cannot access your router via snmp.

Install getif by running setup program.

Run it (on vista may need to run as adiministrator)
Enter "host name" and "Read Community" e.g. "bod43".
(host name may need to be address of
router if not resolvable)
Press "Start"

You should get details back such as
SysDescr - and perhaps others depending on what is configured.

Now choose "MBrowser" tab.

Drill down the 'folder' structure to -

..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry

Select "ifDescr"
Press "Start"

NOTE - the number for your interface of interest
On my 877W ATM0 is ifDescr.6 but this is determined at
system start-up dynamically so could in principle vary.

Now in the SAME 'folder' select the data you want to collect

e.g. ifInOctets

Press "Start"

Now select the entry you want to graph,
as NOTED above. In my case ifInOctets.6

Press "Add to Graph".

Repeat for more graphs
e.g. ifOutOctets.

Select the data "ifOutOctets"
Press "start"
Select the one to Graph e.g. ifOutOctets.6
Press "Add to Graph"

Now go to the "Graph" tab.

Press "Start"
You get a real time graph of whatever you have selected.

It remembers a LOT of points but only displays the number
in the "Nb pts" box.

The application has bugs.
If you set the Nb pts to zero or blank (ever) even for
a second the applciation will hang *instantly*. There is
no recovery.
After you have collected thousands of points
it will hang.
It uses quite a lot of system resources so you can only
run a few copies of it.
It does not handle wrapped counters well.

It will though do what you need very well.