Velocity Reviews

-   -   Virtual Disks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t672255-virtual-disks.html)

John Dean 02-25-2009 12:29 AM

Virtual Disks

Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a program that will
copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can run software that requires a disk
in the drive WITHOUT putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that won't run (or won't
run effectively and fully) without putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a
pain.
I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd like to know what's
up to date.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Evan Platt 02-25-2009 12:49 AM

Re: Virtual Disks

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:29:49 -0000, "John Dean"
<john-dean@fraglineone.net> wrote:

>Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
>There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a program that will
>copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can run software that requires a disk
>in the drive WITHOUT putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
>request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that won't run (or won't
>run effectively and fully) without putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a
>pain.
>I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd like to know what's
>up to date.

Ultra ISO will do it. So will Magic Iso. So will Daemon Tools.

But not every ISO will work in a virtual CD drive. Some apps can
actually detect if it's a virtual CD drive.

Evan Platt 02-25-2009 01:45 PM

Re: Virtual Disks

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:02:58 -0500, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com>
wrote:

>That is often the case with apps - games, often - which require an install
>AND having the CD mounted to work. They do that by recording the drive
>letter from which it was installed. The work around is to either find that
>file (usually a .cfg) in the install folder and change it appropriately OR
>change the virtual drive letter to match what was recorded.

Nope, not the problem at all. The problem is some won't even install
if they detect they're being installed from a virtual CD.

Otherwise, just install the CD from the virtual drive.

Evan Platt 02-25-2009 05:17 PM

Re: Virtual Disks

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:42:53 -0500, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@invalid.com>
wrote:

>Not much point in installing a program from a virtual CD, is there? :)

Why not?

Multi computer LAN setup. Only one computer has a DVD drive. Rip DVD
from computer, put it on LAN, any computer on LAN can install it.

There's other reasons, but that comes to mind first.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 02-26-2009 05:12 AM

Re: Virtual Disks

"John Dean" <john-dean@fraglineone.net> wrote:

>Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
>There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a program that will
>copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can run software that requires a disk
>in the drive WITHOUT putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
>request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that won't run (or won't
>run effectively and fully) without putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a
>pain.
>I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd like to know what's
>up to date.

I have used Daemon http://www.daemon-tools.cc/home for years, even
comes with it's own automatic protection removal.

--

Shuttle
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toptech...11291/sizes/l/

thanatoid 02-27-2009 01:19 AM

Re: Virtual Disks

"John Dean" <john-dean@fraglineone.net> wrote in

> Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
> There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a
> program that will copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can
> run software that requires a disk in the drive WITHOUT
> putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
> request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that
> won't run (or won't run effectively and fully) without
> putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a pain.
> I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd
> like to know what's up to date.

A very necessary utility.

First the optical drives were too slow, now they're too fast.
Sigh. (Yes, I have a slowdowner installed. It is less than
perfect but sort of works AOT the other one I've seen.)

http://www.cdrom-emulator.com/

No idea how well the new version works but I've had it for
years, works like a charm, no problems. A few bucks cheaper than
daemon, too. And at least 50% clicks less to actually find out
the ****ing cost of the product.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)