Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   enclose font in website (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t672206-enclose-font-in-website.html)

hoit 02-24-2009 06:05 PM

enclose font in website
 
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially created
for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.
I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Any help is greatly appreciated


hoit

Peter 02-24-2009 07:14 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/sifr/




"hoit" <syboltho@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:49a436ce$0$193$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially created
> for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.
> I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.
>
> Is this possible and if so, how?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated
>
>
> hoit
>




+mrcakey 02-24-2009 07:17 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
"Sherm Pendley" <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message
news:m1ab8bisma.fsf@dot-app.org...
> hoit <syboltho@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially
>> created for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.

>
> It's not. There's been some effort in this area in the past, but it never
> caught on.


Actually the latest Firefox beta and the latest Opera alpha both support
font-face as specified in the draft CSS3, so it's on its way back. It's been
nixed in the past because of issues over downloading the actual font file to
the user's machine which is usually in breach of the font licence.

>
>> I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.

>
> Publish a PDF then - HTML is not the appropriate media for such things.


I wouldn't think PDF is appropriate either for online publishing. That's
what Flash is for.

OP may also want to Google for SIFR which replaces inline text in the HTML
output with text rendered in the designer's choice of font using Flash. It
has issues though.

--
+mrcakey
www.dreamberry.co.uk



Chris F.A. Johnson 02-24-2009 08:41 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
On 2009-02-24, Peter wrote:
> http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/sifr/


<http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2005/04/i-hate-sifr>

> "hoit" <syboltho@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> news:49a436ce$0$193$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially created
>> for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.
>> I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.
>>
>> Is this possible and if so, how?



--
Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
================================================== =================
Author:
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)

richard 02-24-2009 08:43 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:17:17 -0000, "+mrcakey"
<webmaster@listyblue.com> wrote:

>"Sherm Pendley" <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message
>news:m1ab8bisma.fsf@dot-app.org...
>> hoit <syboltho@xs4all.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially
>>> created for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.

>>
>> It's not. There's been some effort in this area in the past, but it never
>> caught on.

>
>Actually the latest Firefox beta and the latest Opera alpha both support
>font-face as specified in the draft CSS3, so it's on its way back. It's been
>nixed in the past because of issues over downloading the actual font file to
>the user's machine which is usually in breach of the font licence.


Oh please. Will you stop belly aching about a frickin license on an
item which can not be copyrighted?
Unless the "font" does not use standard characters used in every day
life there can be no license.

As most windows products come equipped with several hundred fonts, you
can't find one suitable enough for your use?

Actually, the probable reason that feature was nixed is because most
people prefer to choose their own fonts. When I come across a site
that fixes fonts and sizes to a point where I can not change either,
bye bye.


>
>>
>>> I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.

>>
>> Publish a PDF then - HTML is not the appropriate media for such things.

>
>I wouldn't think PDF is appropriate either for online publishing. That's
>what Flash is for.
>
>OP may also want to Google for SIFR which replaces inline text in the HTML
>output with text rendered in the designer's choice of font using Flash. It
>has issues though.


dorayme 02-24-2009 08:46 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
In article <49a4473c$0$8980$703f8584@news.kpn.nl>,
"Peter" <info@credendo-vides.com> wrote:

> http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/sifr/
>


The technique you quote has some downsides. I found a particular serious
one myself ages ago and I have forgotten what it is! But I only really
reply here to say that this is not good for the OP because it would send
him crazy to do *all his text* this way. The technique is not intended
for such, let me quote from the technique's webpage:

"sIFR is meant to replace short passages of plain browser text with text
rendered in your typeface of choice, regardless of whether or not your
users have that font installed on their systems. It accomplishes this by
using a combination of javascript, CSS, and Flash."

Please don't top post.


>
> "hoit" <syboltho@xs4all.nl> wrote:


> > Does anyone know if it is possible to use a font face (specially created
> > for the site) and then upload the font face with the site.
> > I don't want the browser to pick its own font, I want it to use my font.
> >


--
dorayme

dorayme 02-24-2009 08:49 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
In article <go1h3u$o94$1@news.albasani.net>,
"+mrcakey" <webmaster@listyblue.com> wrote:

> "Sherm Pendley" <spamtrap@dot-app.org> wrote in message

....
> > Publish a PDF then - HTML is not the appropriate media for such things.

>
> I wouldn't think PDF is appropriate either for online publishing. That's
> what Flash is for.


I would have thought that Sherm was quite correct and I am not sure that
Flash is *for* such a purpose?

--
dorayme

rf 02-24-2009 10:31 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
richard wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:17:17 -0000, "+mrcakey"
> <webmaster@listyblue.com> wrote:


> Oh please. Will you stop belly aching about a frickin license on an
> item which can not be copyrighted?
> Unless the "font" does not use standard characters used in every day
> life there can be no license.


You obviously have absolutely zero idea about how copyright works. Fonts can
be and are subject to copyright.



richard 02-24-2009 11:12 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:31:42 GMT, "rf" <rf@z.invalid> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:17:17 -0000, "+mrcakey"
>> <webmaster@listyblue.com> wrote:

>
>> Oh please. Will you stop belly aching about a frickin license on an
>> item which can not be copyrighted?
>> Unless the "font" does not use standard characters used in every day
>> life there can be no license.

>
>You obviously have absolutely zero idea about how copyright works. Fonts can
>be and are subject to copyright.
>


So that you will understand better. The actual font is NOT
copyrightable. It is the software that is used to create it that is
copyrightable.

You can not copyright the alphabet regardless of how you represent it.
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf

Excerpt from "What is NOT copyrightable".......

Titles, names, short phrases and slogans; familiar symbols or designs;
mere variations of typographic ornamentation, lettering, or
coloring....
ding ding ding hello. What then is a font?
A font is a variation of typographc ornamentation.



Eric Bednarz 02-24-2009 11:43 PM

Re: enclose font in website
 
richard <member@newsguy.com> writes:

> ding ding ding hello. What then is a font?


I can’t wait.

> A font is a variation of typographc ornamentation.


A novel is a variation of typographc [sic] ornamentation order.

(I just realized that somebody smarter than me would just have said
‘idiot’ without sacrificing any semantics)


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.