Velocity Reviews

-   -   Canon scanner on x64? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671936-canon-scanner-on-x64.html)

simonc 02-23-2009 10:13 AM

Canon scanner on x64?

I've used an old Canon USB scanner for some years but can't install it on XP
x64 because there's no driver. I am rather surprised that in the online
information about the latest Canon USB scanners ithey are not shows as being
compatible with XP x64 either. Is it possible that these newer devices would
work with 64bit OSs? Does anyone have experience of successfully installing a
Canon scanner on XP x64?

Grateful for advice.

Dennis Pack 02-23-2009 12:04 PM

Re: Canon scanner on x64?

simonc:
Go to
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...wnloadIndexAct for the
drivers for Canon scanners. The newer models have XP x64 & Vista x64 drivers
listed. If 64 bit drivers aren't listed for your model drivers for a model
close to yours may work but no guarantees.

--
Dennis Pack
Win7

simonc 02-24-2009 03:50 PM

Re: Canon scanner on x64?

Dennis

Many thanks for this link. I have found an x64 driver for the model I was
thinking of getting. The sad thing is I had actually rung up Canon support
(in their call centre in ?India) and they'd said the model wouldn't work with
x64. So it's as well I decided to investigate further.

Dennis Pack 02-25-2009 02:17 AM

Re: Canon scanner on x64?

simonc:
Thanks for the update. Have a great day.

miso@sushi.com 03-01-2009 02:39 AM

Re: Canon scanner on x64?

On Feb 23, 2:13*am, simonc <sim...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've used an old Canon USB scanner for some years but can't install it on XP
> x64 because there's no driver. I am rather surprised that in the online
> information about the latest Canon USB scanners ithey are not shows as being
> compatible with XP x64 either. Is it possible that these newer devices would
> work with 64bit OSs? Does anyone have experience of successfully installing a
> Canon scanner on XP x64?
>
> Grateful for advice.

I use vuescan on X64. It supports some Canon scanners, but you need to
investigate HOW it supports them. Sometimes vuescan camps on the twain
provided by the manufacturer. For other models, it has it's own native
code that doesn't require drivers from the manufacturer.

http://www.hamrick.com/
From my experiences, Ed does all the programming. This is good and
bad. Bad in that he is probably overworked. Good in that you can do
email with a person who knows what the hell is happening. .

I had an old SCSI scanner and just didn't feel like fighting the
battle to get it running under X64. Ed suggest a few Canon scanners
that he could make work under X64 without drivers. I got a LIDE 25.
Not high end though, but fine for the application.