Velocity Reviews

-   -   Trouble booting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671671-trouble-booting.html)

peteryoungblood86 02-20-2009 02:44 PM

Trouble booting

Hello. I had two hard drives installed in my computer and set it up to be
able to boot from either drive into XP. One is SATA and the other IDE. I
removed the IDE drive because it is having some problems. However, now, I
cannot boot using my SATA -- I get the "select proper boot device" error.
I've gone through the recovery console and rebuilt the boot.ini file and ran
CHKDSK with no errors reported. I've tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.
One thing I noticed is that, prior to removing the IDE drive, the SATA drive
letter was D:. Now, the recovery console seems to recognize it as C:. Would
this make the system unable to find the proper files to boot?

System details:

AMD64 4200 Dual Core (2.3 GHZ)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB SATA HD
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Windows XP Professional x64

R. C. White 02-20-2009 03:11 PM

Re: Trouble booting

Hi, Peter.

Have you gone into the BIOS and designated your SATA drive as the boot
device?

> I get the "select proper boot device" error.

At what point do you get this error? My guess is that it comes at the
beginning of the boot process, before Windows even starts to load. So it is
a system error, not a Windows problem. The BIOS is still set to boot from
that IDE drive - which no longer exists. Nothing you can do in Windows - or
even the Recovery Console - can help the system find Boot.ini on a drive
that is no longer there.

If you need help getting into your BIOS, please tell us the make and model
of your computer - or of your motherboard and BIOS if you build it yourself.
Various computers use various keys or combinations to enter the
BIOS-changing utility, but the proper incantation must be invoked at the
very beginning of the boot process, while the computer is "counting the RAM"
and finding out how many hard drives are in your system and what kinds they
are. On my computer, I must press the <Del> key at this point; others use
the <F10> or <F2> key - or some other combo. If you have an owner's manual
for your computer, it should tell you. Or give us some clues and we can
probably help you find the right procedure. (It sounds like you are way
ahead of me on this, but your post didn't mention "BIOS".)

Another possibility is that you may need to just edit Boot.ini's rdisk(#) to
reflect that what used to be rdisk(1) is now rdisk(0).

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"peteryoungblood86" <peteryoungblood86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FE994D59-275B-4327-A24F-811844969176@microsoft.com...

andy 02-20-2009 09:39 PM

Re: Trouble booting

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:44:03 -0800, peteryoungblood86
<peteryoungblood86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello. I had two hard drives installed in my computer and set it up to be
>able to boot from either drive into XP. One is SATA and the other IDE. I
>removed the IDE drive because it is having some problems. However, now, I
>cannot boot using my SATA -- I get the "select proper boot device" error.
>I've gone through the recovery console and rebuilt the boot.ini file and ran
>CHKDSK with no errors reported. I've tried FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.
>One thing I noticed is that, prior to removing the IDE drive, the SATA drive
>letter was D:. Now, the recovery console seems to recognize it as C:. Would
>this make the system unable to find the proper files to boot?

No.
Requirements for booting from the SATA disk:
1. Primary partition marked as active.
2. Files ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini in primary partition.
3. Boot sector that runs ntldr.

peteryoungblood86 02-20-2009 11:25 PM

Re: Trouble booting

Thanks for the reply. The SATA drive is set in the BIOS as my boot device.
The error does come right before the Windows XP splash loading screen is
supposed to appear.
From the Recovery Console, I have edited the Boot.ini so that it only has
one item listed, which is rdisk(0). Any other ideas? Thanks again for the
help.

peteryoungblood86 02-20-2009 11:29 PM

Re: Trouble booting

Andy, thanks for the reply.
In the recovery console, by using the "DIR" command, I see that all the
files needed to boot are on the hard drive. However, I'm not sure how I would
go about making sure that my partition is marked as active. Could you
possibly explain how I might do that? Thanks again.

Dennis Pack 02-21-2009 12:20 AM

Re: Trouble booting

peteryoungblood86:
If you're running XP or XPx64, dot the operating system disk
into the CD/DVD drive with the boot order set to boot from the CD/DVD drive
first. Restart the system but don't hit any key to boot from the disk. If
the system boots into the operating system you can then go into disk manager
to set the SATA drive active.

--
Dennis Pack
Win7

peteryoungblood86 02-21-2009 02:17 AM

Re: Trouble booting

Dennis,
When I boot from the disk, it goes straight into Windows Setup and not into
the operating system itself. As far as I can see, there is no way to get into
disk manager from setup. Is there something I can do to boot the OS from the
disk instead of Windows Setup? Thanks for the reply.

Dennis Pack 02-21-2009 03:16 AM

Re: Trouble booting

peteryoungblood86:
If you're going straight into setup it sounds like the operating
system isn't recognizing the SATA drive. Hit enter to start the operating
system install then hit f6 to load the SATA drivers from a floppy disk
copied from the motherboard disk, pass the first "R" (recovery counsel), hit
f8 to agree to terms then hit "R" to perform a repair installation.

--
Dennis Pack
Win7

"peteryoungblood86" <peteryoungblood86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in