Velocity Reviews

-   -   No wireless network or net sharing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t6715-no-wireless-network-or-net-sharing.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?= 06-14-2005 01:10 AM

No wireless network or net sharing

My problem: I cannot successfully set up a wireless network or have all PCs
accessing the Internet, apparently since SP2 was installed.

My set-up:
I have a DELL desktop PC and a DELL laptop, both with wireless cards. I can
connect them together using ethernet cables, but cannot do the same through
the wireless router. I can also only get the Internet working wirelessly
through one of them at a time. Router is a D-Link DI-524.

When I try to set up the network using DHCP addresses from the router to the
PCs I get the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and cannot even get
Internet working at all. If I manually assign IP addresses I no longer get
the "Limited or no connvectivity" message and can access the Internet from
only one PC (currently the desktop).

I have WEP encyption enabled and have triple checked that the keys are
correct on both machines and the router.

What I want to do:
Set up a wireless network that connects the PC and laptop (and a third PC in
time) together in a wireless network and have all computers able to access
the Internet.

Can anyone help please. I've tried searching through other online discussion
groups - thus the manual IP assignments.

foxjh@rcn.com 06-15-2005 03:57 PM

Re: No wireless network or net sharing

Assuming your D-Link 524 firmware is up to date, I would suggest
turning off WEP encryption and trying to make a connection to the
Internet first. If that works, try turning WEP on. I once had a
somewhat similar problem with WinXP that I could not connect to the
Internet through the router (Netgear WGR614) with encryption on unless
I first connected with it off. I think it had to do with running in
mixed mode (802.11b and g), but it is no longer a problem.

Clark 06-15-2005 06:11 PM

Re: No wireless network or net sharing

Does the 802.1x security setting ever cause a problem? It seems to be
checked by default. Last night I could connect fine, but the systray icon
had a red X. When I disabled the 802.1x protocol, the X went away. My
router does not have that option, just my laptop.

Clark

news:1118851032.856958.77180@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?= 06-16-2005 04:56 AM

Re: No wireless network or net sharing

It only works if I turn off the encyption and (really strange) if I leave the
SSID as "default". If I change any setting and reconnect it reverts to
"limited or no connectivity". I'm checking into a firmware update, but I
can't identify one that I need on the dlink site. Really strange not to be
able to even change the SSID.