Velocity Reviews

-   -   The very, very strang thing (tables) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671389-the-very-very-strang-thing-tables.html)

Nicole 02-19-2009 10:12 AM

The very, very strang thing (tables)

Hi users,

I have this side (just the top menue is to look at):
http://www.tigertradingclub.com.serv...estellen.shtml

I want the whole menue to be firm, wherever you click.

Please focus the
.. top menue
.. the third line of it
.. the very right button.

The strange thing is: SOMETIMES the menue is firm, but SOMETIMES the menue gets a push on clicking this button.

The really strange thing is: Opera shows in the first window this ugly push-effect. As I open the second Opera browser window - the push-effect is gone.

Does somebody have a hint for me?
The width of the tables shall stay 100% to adapt to many screens.

The same push effect, I have here with Firefox:
http://www.tigertradingclub.com.serv..._aktuell.shtml

Second line of menue, very right button again.

Thanks for hints!
Nicole

Andy 02-21-2009 09:14 AM

Re: The very, very strang thing (tables)

"Nicole" <Wagner> wrote in message news:xn0g6lj172798m000@news.inode.at...
[...]

Hi Nicole,

I couldn't replicate the error on the urls you posted but I have experienced
this issue before. Use the following example to solve...

table.fix { table-layout:fixed; }

<!-- Put style declarations in your stylesheet if you want -->

<!-- Then just add the class tag to your table(s) -->

Hope this helps

Andy

Nicole 02-21-2009 11:42 AM

Andy wrote:

> I couldn't replicate the error on the urls you posted but I have experienced this issue before. Use the following example to solve...

> table.fix { table-layout:fixed; }

thank you for your reply.
It would help.
But it has the disadvantage, that the cell-width does not adapt to the text-length any more.

Nicole

Andy 02-22-2009 09:31 AM

Re: The very, very strang thing (tables)

> I looked at this page before and didn't see any problem using Firefox
> 3.0.6. However, after reading your last post and looking very carefully
> at the menu when during menu clicks, I see the selected menu item
> shrinks in width by about 1 character.
>
> Examining your source code, it seems you are changing the attribute of
> the menu item from td to th when active. If I replace the css in the
> .table-navi2 th class with that of A:link, the size is identical. The
> problem therefor seems to be the css in the .table-navi2 th section.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Wayne
> bayareabluegrass.org
> "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
> reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]

Good catch Wayne, I didn't spot that.

Andy

Nicole 02-24-2009 10:38 AM

Re: The very, very strang thing (tables)

> > I looked at this page before and didn't see any problem using Firefox 3.0.6. However, after reading your last post and looking very carefully at the menu when during menu clicks, I see the selected menu item shrinks in width by about 1 character.
> >
> > Examining your source code, it seems you are changing the attribute of the menu item from td to th when active. If I replace the css in the ..table-navi2 th class with that of A:link, the size is identical. The problem therefor seems to be the css in the .table-navi2 th section.

Thank you very much for your observations!
It is really a tricky thing and I appreciate, that you take time to have a close look at it.

The td and th thing:
I want to have a navigation bar, which is different on each side.
The tds contain the links and th contains the location itsself.
This means e.g.

side 1 says:
<th>I am side 1</th>

side 2 says:
<th>I am side 2</th>

side 3 says:
<th>I am side 3</th>

What does this mean to my stylesheet?
The user shall be able to identify the th as part of the menue, but he shall recognice by the style as well, that his very th is something different of the td.

In other words, the user shall recognize by the menue-style:
"Oh, I am at one of 3 grouped sides and my very one is the number 2!"

For this very purpose, I did the td and th, "the same" and "differently" at the same time. I left the text-size the same, but changed the backgroud color from grey to white. And I changed color and witdh of the cell-borders.

But perhaps I made a wrong choice?

Here is the style-sheet class in CSS:

..table-navi2
{
width:100%;
background-color:#C0C0C0;
}
..table-navi2 td
{
border-style:solid;
border-width:3px;
border-spacing:7px;
border-color:#C0C0C0;
background-color:#E5E5E5;
text-align:center;
font-size:110%;
padding:7px;
}
..table-navi2 th
{
border-style:solid;
border-width:2px;
border-spacing:9px;
border-color:#228B22;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
text-align:center;
font-size:110%;
padding:7px;
}

Thank you so much for reading such a long posting!

Nicole

Travis Newbury 02-24-2009 11:42 AM

On Feb 19, 5:12*am, "Nicole" <Wagner> wrote:
> Hi users,

Nicole, (love the name by the way, my daughter is Nichole with an "h")

Do yourself a favor and either hire a designer or learn design
skills. I am not talking about your html or css, have at it, and
listen to the experts here. But your site looks like hell. With the
single exception of caddy's site yours has to be the worst combination
of colors I have ever seen. (and Chaddy is blind)

You know, your site might be the best technically correct website on
the entire internet, but if it looks like crap, people are going to
assume that everything you sell/offer is of the same quality.

Websites are kind of like James Bond movies. Crappy theme song =
crappy bond movie. Crappy looking web page = crappy products and
services. It is the same everywhere you look. And while a lot of
those in this group might disagree, presentation of the content is
equally as important as the content itself. Sorry, that's life. We
all judge things based on our perceptions.

Please don't read this as mean. But a rose is a rose...

Awful Dog Autry 02-24-2009 02:15 PM

On 24 Feb 2009, Travis Newbury <travisnewbury@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 5:12*am, "Nicole" <Wagner> wrote:
>> Hi users,

> You know, your site might be the best technically correct website on
> the entire internet,

Tables for layout and tbl hdrs in non-header usage?
Yeah.

--
Awful Dog Autry

dorayme 02-24-2009 08:23 PM

Re: The very, very strang thing (tables)

In article
<45a77f45-443c-4753-bdc8-9d774716d189@p20g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Travis Newbury <travisnewbury@gmail.com> wrote:

> Websites are kind of like James Bond movies. Crappy

.... but my, how the latter make money.

--
dorayme

dorayme 02-24-2009 08:37 PM

In article <xn0g6ski01ikjjb000@news.inode.at>, "Nicole" <Wagner> wrote:

> The td and th thing:
> I want to have a navigation bar, which is different on each side.
> The tds contain the links and th contains the location itsself.
> This means e.g.
>
> side 1 says:
> <th>I am side 1</th>
>
> side 2 says:
> <th>I am side 2</th>

Looking at just this, perhaps it is a frame-like structure you are
aiming for with tables in each frame. This is easy to do but probably
not that wise unless you have a very special purpose that cannot be done
otherwise.

if you are not talking frames but one big table on a page, what would it
mean for a link in one col of a table to be "to" something in another
column in HTML?

You do not quote any real context in this post, who you are replying to
etc... perhaps you think everyone has on and offline thread newsreaders?
A th is a table heading, you have some headings in the middle and end of
your proposed tables, rather odd.

--
dorayme

Nicole 02-25-2009 09:33 AM

Travis Newbury wrote:

....the worst combination
> of colors I have ever seen. (and Chaddy is blind)

Thank you for your feedback.
I AGREE with you, that I will not sell much, if the colors are ugly.

On my computer the colors look in harmony and good.
If you say, they look awfully, you see something different.

So you feedback is extremly important to me:

Can you please be more specific?
What browser+version and what graphic card (laptop?) do you use, which part on earth you live in?
Which color or color-combination do you refer to?

This was my intention:
background: very light yellow to beige
font: very dark green, close to black
menues: grey and white and everything between

highlights: red, but just in the directions of orange and brown.
table-borders: green of the fonts and a little brighter

Nothing wrong with this colors, - but I bet, you see different ones.

Perhaps you can have a look at my published side as well:
http://TigerTradingClub.com

The unpublished concept is what you saw:
http://www.tigertradingclub.com.serv...de/index.shtml

Every feedback appreciated!

Nicole