Velocity Reviews

-   -   checking for bandwidth utilization (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671331-checking-for-bandwidth-utilization.html)

conrad 02-18-2009 10:57 PM

checking for bandwidth utilization

Is there a command that doesn't involve the use of
logging, to check for bandwith usage? A recent
problem I had ran into was a machine sending
out a broadcast continuously and it hosed the
switch(a 3750). The machine was found via
a network monitoring tool but it would be
nice to identify such a culprit via the
command line on a cisco switch.

Thoughts?

--
conrad

flamer die.spam@hotmail.com 02-23-2009 12:16 PM

Re: checking for bandwidth utilization

On Feb 19, 11:57*am, conrad <con...@lawyer.com> wrote:
> Is there a command that doesn't involve the use of
> logging, to check for bandwith usage? A recent
> problem I had ran into was a machine sending
> out a broadcast continuously and it hosed the
> switch(a 3750). *The machine was found via
> a network monitoring tool but it would be
> nice to identify such a culprit via the
> command line on a cisco switch.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> conrad

you can easily see the real time traffic on any port, by using the
"show interface xx" command. you can also set the load interval time
to 30 seconds in the interface configuration mode so when you do the
show int command you see the load averaged over 30 seconds (rather
than the default 5 minutes).

There are some commands you should also look into to stop this
happening again:

"udld port" stops unidirectional traffic on a port, such as in the
case of a layer 2 loop. puts interface into err-disabled mode
"storm-control broadcast level 3.00" which will allow up to 3% of the
total bandwidth to be broadcast traffic before filtering it out.

Also if you need to access the switch remotely then you should use the
commands:

errdisable recovery cause udld
errdisable recovery cause storm-control

which re-enables the port after 30 seconds should it ever be put into
err-disabled mode fromt he storm control or the udld protection.
(otherwise it will stay in err-disabled mode until you manually
restore it.

Flamer.