Velocity Reviews

-   -   Moving BT number to Sipgate (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671103-moving-bt-number-to-sipgate.html)

divoch 02-17-2009 07:13 PM

Moving BT number to Sipgate

Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in practice?

thanks
divoch

Ivor Jones 02-18-2009 09:23 PM

Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

In news:w%Dml.22679$1M5.9277@newsfe24.ams2,
divoch <divoch@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
: practice?

Did you not look at Sipgate's website or ask their helpdesk..?

See here:

https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/ind...d=225&top=true

Ivor

Graham. 02-18-2009 11:09 PM

"Ivor Jones" <ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote in message
> In news:w%Dml.22679$1M5.9277@newsfe24.ams2,
> divoch <divoch@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:
> : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
> : practice?
>
> Did you not look at Sipgate's website or ask their helpdesk..?
>
> See here:
>
> https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/ind...d=225&top=true

As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have copied the
content below.

"May I keep my normal (BT) telephone number and move it over to your
service?
Usually, it is possible to keep your (BT) telephone number and move it over
to sipgate.

To check, if you're (sic) number can be ported, please contact our support
and send the telephone
number you would like to move over. If it's possible, we will send you two
forms.
You will then have to fill them out and to send them back to us signed."

I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones 02-19-2009 12:36 AM

Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

In news:gni4e4$bas$1@news.motzarella.org,
Graham. <me@privicy.com> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: "Ivor Jones" <ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote in message
: news:703cieFmdcjkU1@mid.individual.net...
: > In news:w%Dml.22679$1M5.9277@newsfe24.ams2,
: > divoch <divoch@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> typed, for some strange,
: > unexplained reason:
: > : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
: > : practice?
: >
:
: As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have
: copied the content below.

[snip]

Actually you don't need to be logged in - try it.

: I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges
: apply?

Good question..!

Ivor

Gordon Henderson 02-19-2009 08:46 AM

In article <gni4e4$bas$1@news.motzarella.org>, Graham. <me@privicy.com> wrote:

>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
somewhere between 15 and 35 plus VAT per number... (25 is what I
charge, Gradwell is 20 on their web site, AQL is 15 and so on...)

Gordon

divoch 02-19-2009 09:31 AM

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote in message
> In article <gni4e4$bas$1@news.motzarella.org>, Graham. <me@privicy.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

> I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
> somewhere between 15 and 35 plus VAT per number... (25 is what I
> charge, Gradwell is 20 on their web site, AQL is 15 and so on...)
>
> Gordon

Thanks for replies.
Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but it
looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
divoch

BC 02-19-2009 11:53 AM

divoch wrote:

>> Gordon

> Thanks for replies.
> Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but
> it looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
> divoch

I ported from BT to voip.co.uk. No problems really. I think it took
about 2 weeks after I submitted the authorisation form.

Gordon Henderson 02-19-2009 11:57 AM

Re: Moving BT number to Sipgate

In article <EG9nl.2459$q45.268@newsfe07.ams2>,
divoch <divoch@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote in message
>> In article <gni4e4$bas$1@news.motzarella.org>, Graham. <me@privicy.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I imagine this service isn't free, does anyone know what charges apply?

>> I don't know what Sipgate will charge, but the "going rate" is usually
>> somewhere between 15 and 35 plus VAT per number... (25 is what I
>> charge, Gradwell is 20 on their web site, AQL is 15 and so on...)
>>
>> Gordon

>Thanks for replies.
>Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but it
>looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(

There shouldn't be any real issues with it - it may be early days for
Sipgate in number porting, but their wholesale supplier has been doing
it for a long time and I've done quite a few myself via the same supplier.

Not all BT numbers can be ported yet - I did one recnetly that failed,
but it went through again a few weeks later - I think it's something to
do with the exchanges or the software they're running or something, but
I've never bothered to find out at that level of detail.

Gordon

Tim 02-19-2009 04:56 PM

divoch wrote:

> Thanks for replies.
> Part of my question was to see what practical experience anyone had but
> it looks that I would probably be a pioneer in this respect -:(
> divoch

I've never ported a number to SIPgate.

But we have various numbers ported through various ISPs who use the same
backend provider as SIPgate. All went smoothly.

Providing you get the billing details correct from the BT bill, then
they are usually successful.

Tim

Graham. 02-19-2009 05:04 PM

> In news:gni4e4$bas$1@news.motzarella.org,
> Graham. <me@privicy.com> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
> : "Ivor Jones" <ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote in message
> : news:703cieFmdcjkU1@mid.individual.net...
> : > In news:w%Dml.22679$1M5.9277@newsfe24.ams2,
> : > divoch <divoch@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> typed, for some strange,
> : > unexplained reason:
> : > : Has anyone done it? If yes, please, let me know how did it work in
> : > : practice?
> : >
> : > Did you not look at Sipgate's website or ask their helpdesk..?
> : >
> : > See here:
> : >
> : >
> https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/faq/ind...d=225&top=true
> :
> : As you need an account and be logged in to view that page, I have
> : copied the content below.
>
> [snip]
>
> Actually you don't need to be logged in - try it.

You are right (sort of)
If I click the link I usually get a page of ads with a message about
enabling
cookies, but if I click the link twice in succession it goes to the correct
page.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%