Velocity Reviews

-   -   Work Hard, Play Hard... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t671010-work-hard-play-hard.html)

Dudley Hanks 02-17-2009 07:22 AM

Work Hard, Play Hard...

So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
original)

http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg (Fast-loading
version)

Take Care,
Dudley

Paul Furman 02-18-2009 07:02 PM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
>
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
> original)
>
> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg (Fast-loading
> version)

Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the
hockey pic.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Dudley Hanks 02-18-2009 08:09 PM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
>> original)
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
>> (Fast-loading version)

> Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
> pic.
>
> --
> Paul Furman

Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
feature more often.

Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

Oh, well, after a few more shoots in snow and arenas, it'll be habitual.

Thanks, Paul, for the tip.

Take Care,
Dudley

Paul Furman 02-18-2009 10:28 PM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
>>>
>>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
>>> original)
>>>
>>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
>>> (Fast-loading version)

>> Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the hockey
>> pic.

> Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit, so
> I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The XSi's
> exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the EC
> feature more often.
>
> Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option. I
> could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once again,
> never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

Center weighted, at least you know what's going to happen. The 3D matrix
(or whatever Canon calls it) metering might even figure out you are
looking at snow - mine knows when I'm shooting at night and underexposes
to make it look like night time... which can be frustrating.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Dudley Hanks 02-19-2009 08:50 PM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 2/17/09 1:22 AM, in article ZAtml.12096$Db2.11309@edtnps83, "Dudley
> Hanks" <photos.digital@dudley-hanks.com> wrote:
>
>> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
>> original)
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
>> (Fast-loading
>> version)
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>>

> Pretty Puppy!
>
> What's his/her name?

His name is Michener. He's not quite 2 years old, and his guide work is
awesome.

If you'd like to read a bit more about "Training With Mich," visit:
http://blind-apertures.blogspot.com

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks 02-19-2009 09:02 PM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message

>>> Still could use some exposure compensation with the snow, like the
>>> hockey pic.

>> Yeah, I keep forgetting to use EC. My A720 tended to over-expose a bit,
>> so I just shot normal exposure in snow and it worked out alright. The
>> XSi's exposure is a lot more accurate, so I find myself having to use the
>> EC feature more often.
>>
>> Also, when I had more sight, I tended to use the center weighted option.
>> I could just take a reading off the subject, recompose and shoot. Once
>> again, never used (or should I say, seldom used) EC much.

> Center weighted, at least you know what's going to happen. The 3D matrix
> (or whatever Canon calls it) metering might even figure out you are
> looking at snow - mine knows when I'm shooting at night and underexposes
> to make it look like night time... which can be frustrating.

Yes, it can be frustrating. Canon's "Evaluative" mode sometimes gets the
snow thing right, sometimes it doesn't. I'm finding it useful to shoot some
pics both with and without EC. That way, I get a few that are exposed
properly.

When the light is just right, I can sort of use Live View to get the image
composed the way I want it. In those cases, I can use the spot metering
mode to get a good exposure. I tend to avoid center weighted now, since it
takes me too long to frame a shot.

It's just going to take some practice. I'm already getting more good shots
than I did a month or so ago.

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks 02-20-2009 12:31 AM

Re: Work Hard, Play Hard...

"Savageduck" <savageduck@savage.net> wrote in message
> On 2009-02-16 23:22:33 -0800, "Dudley Hanks"
> <photos.digital@dudley-hanks.com> said:
>
>> So, what does a hardworking guide dog do during his downtime?
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard1.jpg (Crop from
>> original)
>>
>> http://www.photography.dudley-hanks..../Playhard2.jpg
>> (Fast-loading
>> version)
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley

> Now that worked pretty good for a moving target, but the light was better.
>
> Here is what "Gypsy" does in her down time
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Gypsy.jpg
> --

Michener likes to sleep as well. In fact, according to his puppy-raiser, it
was his favorite activity. Here in Edmonton, we've got a kennel set up for
his house, and it's got a nice, thick cushioned pad as the floor.

He spends a lot of time in there.

My daughter loved the pic; now she wants to take one of Mich like that...

Take Care,
Dudley