Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wireless security and XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t670742-wireless-security-and-xp.html)

Gordon 02-15-2009 10:56 PM

Wireless security and XP

Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP that
has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless networks with
(possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this other network but I'm
guessing at 64 bit from the password length). Does XP not connect to 128 bit
WEP?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 02-16-2009 12:31 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
> Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note that if
you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-16-2009 01:36 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

Hi
To connect at 128bit, it has to be supported by the Wireless Router (WAP),
and the Wireless client card.
Check carefully to make sure that they both support it.
This page covers WinXP Encryption issues.
In addition WEP 64 or 128 is Not really secure any more.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
it is Off)
MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
easily Spoofed).
-------------------
The three above are Not considered safe.
Safe Starts here at WPA.
-------------------
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
<http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Gordon 02-16-2009 08:15 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> To connect at 128bit, it has to be supported by the Wireless Router (WAP),
> and the Wireless client card.
> Check carefully to make sure that they both support it.

The WAP certainly supports it - I was using WPA encryption. I'm trying all
the possibilities to get her to be able to connect wirelessly.
How do I check what her wireless card supports?
Is it possible to set up the WAP so I can connect by WPA and she can connect
by WEP?

Gordon 02-16-2009 08:26 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatya hoo.com> wrote in message
> Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
>> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
>> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
>> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
>> Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

> Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note that if
> you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.

Yes I know about WPA. I was using it, but she couldn't connect with that
either, so I'm looking at all the possibilities. I've reduced it from WPA to
256 bit WEP, and now we're on 128 bit WEP and I'm about to go down to 64 bit
WEP. I don't like it any more than you, however, we are deep in the sticks
so the chance of anyone sitting outside my house in a car with a wireless
laptop is remote...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Barb Bowman 02-16-2009 08:59 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

what wireless card does she have? what OS and Service Pack?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:15:30 -0000, "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com>
wrote:

>How do I check what her wireless card supports?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Barb Bowman 02-16-2009 09:01 AM

Re: Wireless security and XP

as Jack posted, XP SP2 needs the WPA2 QFE at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

you need to tell us what wireless NIC and what driver it is using.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 02-16-2009 02:11 PM

Re: Wireless security and XP

Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatya hoo.com> wrote in
> message news:OungC49jJHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Strange problem. My wife's laptop - XP SP2 cannot connect to our WAP
>>> that has WEP 128 bit security. She can connect to other wireless
>>> networks with (possibly) 64 Bit WEP. (I don't know the setup of this
>>> other network but I'm guessing at 64 bit from the password length).
>>> Does XP not connect to 128 bit WEP?

>> Yes. This would most likely be a driver/wireless card issue. Note
>> that if you're using WEP, you aren't very secure. Use WPA instead.
>>

> Yes I know about WPA. I was using it, but she couldn't connect with
> that either, so I'm looking at all the possibilities. I've reduced it
> from WPA to 256 bit WEP, and now we're on 128 bit WEP and I'm about
> to go down to 64 bit WEP. I don't like it any more than you, however,
> we are deep in the sticks so the chance of anyone sitting outside my
> house in a car with a wireless laptop is remote...

Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're probably
more exposed than you think. You could simply upgrade her to an add-in
wireless card capable of using WPA.

Gordon 02-16-2009 03:30 PM

Re: Wireless security and XP

> Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're probably
> more exposed than you think.

The nearest person with a wireless-enabled computer is over 400 yards
away!!!!!

> You could simply upgrade her to an add-in wireless card capable of using
> WPA.

Unfortunately not - it's a company laptop....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] 02-16-2009 04:15 PM

Re: Wireless security and XP

Gordon <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatya hoo.com> wrote in
> message news:uIQmZHEkJHA.5124@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>
>> Maybe so, but if you're not in a valley in a wooded area you're
>> probably more exposed than you think.

> The nearest person with a wireless-enabled computer is over 400 yards
> away!!!!!

Yeah, I know it's unlikely. Just not impossible

>> You could simply upgrade her to an add-in wireless card capable of
>> using WPA.

> Unfortunately not - it's a company laptop....

OK.