Velocity Reviews

-   -   Are all WIFI cards basically the same...??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t670639-are-all-wifi-cards-basically-the-same.html)

BILLINE 02-14-2009 12:47 PM

Re: Are all WIFI cards basically the same...???

Get a laptop with the N wireless. You will not regret for doing so.

Mike Easter 02-15-2009 01:48 AM

Re: Are all WIFI cards basically the same...???

taylorleesa0@gmail.com wrote:
> I am thinking of getting a laptop and from what I understand most of
> them today come with WIFI built in. Are all of the WIFI cards pretty
> much the same?

No.

> For instance... sometimes certain cell phones will have better
> receiving sensitivity than others. Is this the same with WIFI? Is
> there a chance that the guy sitting near me gets a signal and I don't
> sometimes?

Yes.

> Is there anything to look for to tell if you are getting a good
> wireless (receiver) or a bad one?

I don't think you are going to make a decision about which laptop you buy
based on your investigation of the potential for its wireless
capabilities. I think it is more likely that you will buy a laptop based
on other considerations.

Then, if and when you are having trouble with some wifi related problem,
you will have to figure out some way to upgrade your LT's wireless
deficiency. It is unlikely that the LT will have the facility for adding
an external antenna. It is unlikely that it will be easy to upgrade the
LT's mobo with a different wifi card. It is more 'do-able' to upgrade a
LT's wifi deficiency by adding a USB wifi with an external antenna if you
need to go that far.

--
Mike Easter

taylorleesa0@gmail.com 02-19-2009 09:42 PM

Re: Are all WIFI cards basically the same...???

Thanks guys for the replies. I have found them to be helpful.

LEESA (I)