Velocity Reviews

-   -   Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t670551-possibly-free-upgrade-to-windows-7-for-vista-owners.html)

Fierce Guppy 02-14-2009 05:55 AM

Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/

Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

--
email: fierce,guppy@paradise,net,nz
Christchurch, New Zealand.

~misfit~ 02-14-2009 05:59 AM

Re: Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners.

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
>
> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still only
rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if there's
going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going to be for
versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more rumours.)

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

Fierce Guppy 02-14-2009 06:21 AM

Re: Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners.

~misfit~ submitted this idea :
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
>>
>> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
>> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
>> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

> I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still only
> rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if there's
> going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going to be for
> versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more rumours.)
>
> Good luck,

Last Thursday from PlayTech along with a sporty x58 board and a CPU.

Tony.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 02-14-2009 06:24 AM

In message <mn.746f7d92a2e304b3.84748@pond.co.nz>, Fierce Guppy wrote:

> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
>
> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

Looks like your purchase lies outside the "Program Eligibility Period"
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2015>.

Fierce Guppy 02-14-2009 06:25 AM

Re: Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners.

Max Burke explained :
> ~misfit~ wrote:

[...]
>> I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are still
>> only rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear that, if
>> there's going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option it's only going
>> to be for versions of Vista purchased after a certain date. (LOL, more
>> rumours.)
>>
>> Good luck,

> Not news: After a certain time, Vista-based PC buyers will get free Windows 7
> upgrade
> Every time that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, it offers free
> upgrades to that OS to users who buy a PC running the previous Windows
> version in the months right before and after that new release. Despite this,
> the web was a aglow this week with news that Microsoft would--get this--give
> Vista-based PC buyers a free copy of Windows 7 if they bought that PC close
> enough to the release of Windows 7. Wake up people. They've been doing this
> for years. Moving on.
>
> http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...y-16-2009.html

Ah, Ok. Damnation!

Tony.

Fierce Guppy 02-14-2009 06:31 AM

Re: Possibly free upgrade to Windows 7 for Vista owners.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro explained on 14/02/2009 :
> In message <mn.746f7d92a2e304b3.84748@pond.co.nz>, Fierce Guppy wrote:
>
>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
>>
>> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally started
>> building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel pretty damn
>> good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

> Looks like your purchase lies outside the "Program Eligibility Period"
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2015>.

Yeah, the situation turns out to be pretty sucky after all. At least
Vista Ultimate has MS Lili (Mandarine Chinese TTS). She'll make it
better.

Tony.

~misfit~ 02-14-2009 09:00 AM

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Max Burke wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fierce Guppy wrote:
>>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41428/140/
>>>
>>> Given that after three years of procrastination I have finally
>>> started building a glorious overclocker's gaming rig, I now feel
>>> pretty damn good about having already purchased Vista Ultimate.

>> I've read rumours about this too over the last few days. They are
>> still only rumours. When did you purchase Vista (Ultimate)? I hear
>> that, if there's going to be a free or reduced-price upgrade option
>> it's only going to be for versions of Vista purchased after a
>> certain date. (LOL, more rumours.) Good luck,

> Not news: After a certain time, Vista-based PC buyers will get free
> Windows 7 upgrade
> Every time that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows, it offers
> free upgrades to that OS to users who buy a PC running the previous
> Windows version in the months right before and after that new release.
> Despite this, the web was a aglow this week with news that Microsoft
> would--get this--give Vista-based PC buyers a free copy of Windows 7
> if they bought that PC close enough to the release of Windows 7. Wake
> up people. They've been doing this for years. Moving on.
>
> http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...y-16-2009.html

Ok, quotation marks around the quoted bit would have been more informative.
(Unless you're really Paul Thurrott?)

As Paul says in the quote above, MS gives free upgrades to folks who buy a
new PC " in the months right before...". Normally this is announced previous
or concurrent with it happening. I've seen it myself in advertisments for
new PCs. However there is talk of late that this time around there's a
chance that it'll be retroactive, applying to purchases made before it's
announced. I'm of the opinion that it's likely wishful thinking on the part
of the poor saps who've bought Vista and are hearing good things about W7.
--
Shaun.